Fortnite players to become millionaires

Soldato
I was [OG] 3D, I really do miss those days. What was the name of the guy who set up [OG]?
Hades will be better equipped to answer that - although ODEE was the clan leader and went on to manage Dignitas after KoTR

Swiss was a computer magazine writer/journalist if remember correctly?

Soldato
Think we must be talking about a different [OG] although I do vaguely remember Hades and MunkyFunk
If you were part of the same [OG] and remember MunkyFunk does Chloe ring a bell(?) - as she was his partner/wife - again if i remember correctly (god it's been so many years :/)

Caporegime
Well, Its not that dissimilar to Apex Legends, that runs on fairly low spec machines too.
True but they are following a trend rather than setting it.

Fortnite is a way of life to youngsters (my ex’s 12 year old loves it, he plays Apex but it isn’t the go to for him or his mates.
Dont think of it as a game, more a social portal.
Exactly.

Can’t stand it personally but it’s not aimed at 48 yr old gamers like me.

Permabanned
True but they are following a trend rather than setting it.

Fortnite is a way of life to youngsters (my ex’s 12 year old loves it, he plays Apex but it isn’t the go to for him or his mates.

Exactly.

Can’t stand it personally but it’s not aimed at 48 yr old gamers like me.

My boys the same, keeps returning to fortnite, personally I hate it and play Apex. :p

Permabanned
The money is there because millions of other 16 year olds are spending $30 a pop on outfits for their virtual wardrobes :p

That's probably the truly insane part. We've really become extremely decadent.

Possibly for some but my boy has spent about 9 dollars(or whatever the battle pass costs) in the last 6 months, he can then just play and get the next one for free. Its a pretty good model.

Soldato
Yes :) and yes I remember :)

I played in OG for a while but the clan I was in for most years was RV (Revenge).
I remember RV too - struggling to recall names.

Man I miss those days.
And, same, i really miss those days too - no BS/egos - all finding our online-feet: friendly community, players willing to stop and help mid-game, share setting tips to eek out a few more FPS and preying that your local area would be upgrading to ISDN soon.

I absolutely loved defending in CTF.
No wonder our paths didn't cross often - we were both stuck at opposite ends of the map protecting flags. :) I would occasionally, cover midfield when needed - but i was a hopeless attacker. Left that to AcidBeard who could take the flag and gesture (roar) all the way back while killing everyone in his path - he was a beast.

I was lucky that i got ISDN early - downside was that i had the honours of hosting coms for a while which virtually negated any benefit during competitive games :/

My wife is always shouting at my son to get off the PC. But because I did the same as him back in my younger days, I know just how much fun he's having.
Sounds all too familiar - although my son has got the coding bug now. He's recently got involved in the Minecraft Middle Earth project - he's hoping to become a builder soon - he's grinding out landscape at the moment but it's a relaxed community and the world they're creating is stunning. If you've not visited the server (9 years and still in progress) - worth checking out even if you don't play the game. It uses it's own textures packs and they change for different regions of the map - and recommend SEUS shaders too (Your son should enjoy it if he likes the films/books/minecraft - i was amazed purely from a scale/logistics/time perspective):

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
The money is there because millions of other 16 year olds are spending $30 a pop on outfits for their virtual wardrobes :p

That's probably the truly insane part. We've really become extremely decadent.

Most of it comes from sponsors and the majority is advertising.

Man of Honour
I remember RV too - struggling to recall names.

And, same, i really miss those days too - no BS/egos - all finding our online-feet: friendly community, players willing to stop and help mid-game, share setting tips to eek out a few more FPS and preying that your local area would be upgrading to ISDN soon.

No wonder our paths didn't cross often - we were both stuck at opposite ends of the map protecting flags. :) I would occasionally, cover midfield when needed - but i was a hopeless attacker. Left that to AcidBeard who could take the flag and gesture (roar) all the way back while killing everyone in his path - he was a beast.

I was lucky that i got ISDN early - downside was that i had the honours of hosting coms for a while which virtually negated any benefit during competitive games :/

Sounds all too familiar - although my son has got the coding bug now. He's recently got involved in the Minecraft Middle Earth project - he's hoping to become a builder soon - he's grinding out landscape at the moment but it's a relaxed community and the world they're creating is stunning. If you've not visited the server (9 years and still in progress) - worth checking out even if you don't play the game. It uses it's own textures packs and they change for different regions of the map - and recommend SEUS shaders too (Your son should enjoy it if he likes the films/books/minecraft - i was amazed purely from a scale/logistics/time perspective):

I remember AcidBeard too.

RV players from memory: Me obviously :), Melkior, CJM, Sid, Q50, AtomicJam, Vorvavoo (Vorv), WizzFizz from here. I'm sure a few more will come to mind soon too. It's been so long now that I've started to forget names. I remember an early game against PR (Phoenix Rising) on Wireplay. It was so early that there wasn't even a warmup mode. We'd just chat to each other asking when everyone was ready and then start the match when we thought they were. In fact that's led me to another early memory of actually admining a few games on Wireplay.

I was the same with ISDN and an early adopter. It was a revelation getting a sub-100 ping. Melkior was a great childhood friend of mine and we lived fairly close. Because it was the early days of voice comms, and because he also usually played defense with me, he would sometimes drive over to my house for games so we could sit next to each other to coordinate base defense.

I'm glad your son has the coding bug. I used to be a professional software developer and coding has allowed me to build a wonderful life. So he's building a valuable skill for the future. I have tried to get my son into coding. But he's just not into it. For me it was a case of getting into games because I loved computers, and would learn programming on my VIC 20 before going to school. But for him computers are just about games. He was massively into Minecraft a while ago but then found Fortnite.

Soldato
Correct me if I'm wrong, but uniquely with pro gaming they're at their peak in their teens. By their mid-to-late 20s they're starting to lose it :p

The skill is mostly muscle memory and sheer speed of reactions. When your reactions slow down you've lost your edge.

I would be surprised if this skill translates well into any other sphere of enterprise.

I guess this really depends on if you're just looking at the financial angle and nothing else. If money is literally the only consideration, then why not let your kid be a drugs mule for 8 hours a day, if they could make millions doing it. I'm sure you wouldn't, btw. It intrigues me that people say a young teen playing games for 8 hours a day is perfectly acceptable, so long as the money rolls in.

It intrigues me because this is basically saying that the money is all that's important. And that playing games all day every day is fine if it's profitable. Even for minors of school age. (Adults can make their own choices on how to pay the bills).

Wrong. Reaction speed does not slow down as much as you imagine it does (especially if fit and active), and an older brain takes clever shortcuts in order to make up the difference anyway.

The real difference is these kids/teens lack the responsibilities that adults do and can play these games all day every day.

Man of Honour
Reaction speed does get harder to compete with as you get older but it definitely is something you find ways to offset as you get older - often just seeing them coming so you are already reacting earlier than you would have done when younger due to being able to read the "terrain" better, etc. with the greater experience.

Definitely agree the responsibilities play a big factor - when I was like 19 or whatever I was playing minimum 5 hours a night often more and generally had less else to think about - these days 20 years later I can rarely sit down and focus on a game for more than an hour or so before I start thinking I should/need to be spending time on other things like work, etc.

Soldato
Read an interview with the Essex kid and his mum... they asked her what she thought he was going to do with the 900k... her answer? "Oh, he's not really very materialistic, I expect he'll probably just use it on Uber-eats and that'll do him just fine. Yeah, sitting in his room playing games and eating takeaways"

She has to be trolling right?

Soldato
I watched the FN WorldCup event live with son (7) who loves Fortnite.
Such an amazing spectacle put on by Epic Games - The total prize pool for all of the categories over 3 days and qualifying rounds was $100m.

48403381827_4f49d173d4_z.jpg

Tfue will win this. He's already a millionaire though.
He was hyped up too much - His final position was 67th with only 7 kills over 6 games.
Could tell he's been spending more time producing YouTube video's and Twitch Streaming as he was totally outplayed. He even looked old, with the younger players around him and he's only 21. Average age for the tournament was 16 and a 13 year old (King) got 5th place which bagged him $900k

Last edited:
Caporegime
He was hyped up too much - His final position was 67th.
Could tell he's been spending more time producing YouTube video's and Twitch Streaming as he was totally outplayed. He even looked old, with the younger players around him and he's only 21. Average age for the tournament was 16 !!

Yeah, disappointing run from him. I've watched him in scrims and he absolutely dominates most of the time. I guess the money must have gone to his head and he's busy doing other things.

Some of these kids were playing 8-12 hours a day, but he's been too busy making vids like you say, and blowing his cash. :p Ah well.

Back
Top Bottom