Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

I don't know if you've tried already, but try racing the ghost of the leader.

Having said that, I seem to lose the ghost come the last corner! I think I lose the most time in the penultimate corner by not going wide enough beforehand :(

Ive been racing my own ghost in TT mode, but, that sounds like a great idea to see where im losing most time against the fast folk, ill have a bash at that tonight afterwork... I keep going thru setting faster times in the first 3 cars, by the time i get to the R8 and Porsche i need a break and still havent set a good time in either car... Should work on those tonight.

I hate the Mini, FWD and liftoff oversteer gives me nightmares. :( maybe for good reason tbh.

Hope this is not can/worms type stuff but what are people doing in terms of steering wheels? Guess most are using the MS wireless one?

I'm just using the pad and I want a wheel but I've no idea wtf I'm going to clamp it to. I could move the dining room table 6 foot or so to get it closer/lined up to the TV but I can hear the sound of my Mrs whinging in my head already. :rolleyes:

The official MS wheel can be used on your lap, but it does tend to move about a bit. When I had one I used an ironing board, worked quite well. I have since sold it though, I just stick with the pad on the 360 now, it's all about kicking back on the sofa :cool:

When I feel like getting serious I play LFS etc on my PC (with wheel).

Ive been racing my own ghost in TT mode, but, that sounds like a great idea to see where im losing most time against the fast folk, ill have a bash at that tonight afterwork... I keep going thru setting faster times in the first 3 cars, by the time i get to the R8 and Porsche i need a break and still havent set a good time in either car... Should work on those tonight.

I hate the Mini, FWD and liftoff oversteer gives me nightmares. :( maybe for good reason tbh.

Give it a go :) I only discovered it the other day and got down to 1.04.9 in the R8, but that's still 2 seconds off the leader! I think I could get into 1.03 if I keep going at it.

You need to be realistic though. What's the point picking a ghost car 2 seconds quicker than you as you won't be able to see where you are loosing time as the ghost will be too far ahead. You would be better of working up gradually and finding something in the middle.

You need to be realistic though. What's the point picking a ghost car 2 seconds quicker than you as you won't be able to see where you are loosing time as the ghost will be too far ahead. You would be better of working up gradually and finding something in the middle.

Yeah that's the best way to do it.

The official MS wheel can be used on your lap, but it does tend to move about a bit. When I had one I used an ironing board, worked quite well. I have since sold it though, I just stick with the pad on the 360 now, it's all about kicking back on the sofa :cool:

Same here, the cockpit view in FM3 works fine with me using a pad, something about the view gives me a better sense postion relative to the track.

Turn 10: Nothing on the Market is Within Years of Forza 3
Written Sunday, September 27, 2009 by Dan Webb

Forza 3's Game Director, Dan Greenawalt, told x360a at a Forza 3 event in London this week that there's nothing on the market that comes close to simulating what Forza 3 does.

Greenawalt pined, "I play a lot of racing games, including PC racing games and I have not seen anything that is even within years of what we’re delivering here."

"Part of that actually meant visiting McLaren and seeing the simulator that they train on. I’ve seen other race teams as well and some of their simulators. We were kind of able to learn from each of them and incorporate a lot of that. So I think it would be hard for someone to match that," the outspoken Creative Director added.

Greenawalt later noted, "We have the best simulator around. You’re not going to find another one that’s even close, so if you turn off all the assists, you’re driving with a clutch, even on a controller, you’re driving. There’s tire flex, body flex and unsprung weight on the tires. You turn all the assists on, a 6 year old can play it."

You've played the demo, what do you think? Are Turn 10 and Microsoft so far ahead of the opposition?

Check back later for the full transcript of our interview with Forza 3 Creative Director, Dan Greenawalt.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-3603-Turn-10--Nothing-on-the-Market-

Hmm.

As far as consoles go, it is incredible and there is simply nothing to touch it IMO. In fact, it is up there with some PC sims. It's not quite as good as the likes of LFS though.

Last edited:
Gotta love marketing...

LFS, rFactor and iRacing are all better, quite easily, imo

There's also netKar Pro and probably others that I haven't put enough time into but are quite likely to be better as well,

It's good, it's not the best sim though. imo of course :p

For me Dans best moment was in one of the videos, his "Im Physched" comment was priceless..

Speaking of being "Physched" I see beta testers for Fanatec received their wheels today.
The FM3.Net forums has a guy on their giving it good remarks, so far.

Last edited:
Dan Greenwalt says what he does becasue on the 360, he's spot on. Of course he also refers to the PC games, but the PC games are very limited. The market Forza reaches to love tuning parts, paint jobs and great sounds.

The PC games in the own right do things better, but are not a complete package like Forza 3 will be. Of course nobody will be truely happy with one game and that's why any sim racer worth their salt has the best of both worlds :)

Quick question. Been playing the demo and setting reasonably good times but still 4-5 seconds behind the top.

1) How much of a difference does manual gears make?
2) How much of a difference does a wheel make?

5 seconds difference

A wheel is like an arcade stick for beat em ups, it's not an instant win but stick with it and it's much better.

Having said that I heard the best players with fastest lap times on forza 2 used gamepads not sure I believe it though.

Last edited:
Well Done!
I dislike the feeling on the brakes with the X360 wheel, it takes virtually no interaction to get enough brake required. Seems FM is all about getting that correct let off coasting speed in corners with smooth lines.

Does the clutch improve anyones ability/time?

Yes is the short answer but obviously you have to be consistant with your shifts. It's a lot easier then I thought it would be since the game rev matches for you. I do agree with you regarding the brakes and also the FFB is a little too strong for my liking. Ofcourse you will be able to change all these settings when the final game comes out.

When it comes to the track selection press y to bring up the leaderboard and then press a. You can also select a ghost and race against that if you want.

To find a ghost, scroll down/up the leaderboard and you'll seen an icon in the the column with the paperclip icon, this means there is a ghost replay avilable. Highlight the player that has such an icon and click A.

Back
Top Bottom