Foundation - TV Series (2021)

Man of Honour
What's the early verdict on this? It's the sort of thing that I feel I might actually respect by bothering to read before going in on the show.

High production values, initial scenes reminded me of The Mandalorian for cinematography and vibe. Not read of this before in the books etc so was initially a bit confused but it opens up a better understanding later in ep1. Characters are pretty well acted too and there's an underlying serious tone to everything.

Soldato
I’ve been starved of decent sci-fi so I’ll forgive the slightly rushed ‘get everything set-up’ and the score feeling a bit generic. Very nice to look at. It’s been literally a couple of decades since I read the original series so I’m not going to froth at changes etc since I can barely remember half of what happens.

Caporegime
Will watch this later this week but does anyone else feel they have to watch any and all sci-fi shows just to ensure they’re successful and the studios will make more?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Any where else to watch this apart from Apple TV ?
Just there, unless you get it through nefarious means.

Apple TV is £4.99 a month, you can always just wait for them all to air and sub for a month. Ever even a week as they give you 1 weeks free, watch and cancel, will cost you nothing.

Associate
Just there, unless you get it through nefarious means.

Apple TV is £4.99 a month, you can always just wait for them all to air and sub for a month. Ever even a week as they give you 1 weeks free, watch and cancel, will cost you nothing.

This is a sound plan. I'll wait for the season to air. The days of sailing the seas are behind me.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yea, enjoying this. Probably helps not knowing the books as this kind of story can easy and often has to deviate from a book to make for decent TV.

Man of Honour
Critic reviews in the usual news media are saying the show has already fallen apart based on the fact that they've had to compress the first few tens of pages of the novels into a couple of episodes and since the entire saga in writing spans several hundred years with characters coming and going all the time, it poses a difficulty in keeping viewers rooting for any particular character in a TV adaptation.

It also seems for the TV series they've plugged a loophole for some of the above by having the "Empire" controlled by clones of the same person. Maybe I've not fully understood so far from 2 episodes but to me as a newbie to Foundation, it makes sense and so far I've found it quite gripping and wanting to know where things head.

Seems viewers however do like it, regardless of critics opinions!

Associate
since the entire saga in writing spans several hundred years with characters coming and going all the time, it poses a difficulty in keeping viewers rooting for any particular character in a TV adaptation

I read somewhere that they worked the script so that six characters stay around for the whole series. You can tell that the Emperor, being a clone dinasty, is going to be one. I'm betting that Demerzel and some version of Hari Seldon are also going to stay around (a good guess if you read the books). Gaal seems the central character, so I'm guessing she's going to be another. Not sure about who may be the other two. Any guesses?

Back
Top Bottom