FOV and gaming?

Permabanned
If the game has a slider in the options I always set it to highest.

Differs with different games if you have to alter the cfg, some games will look like a fishbowl with 100 whereas others it looks completely normal.

Soldato
I changed it for Borderlands, but that's because Borderlands is mental.

+1, I don't normally mess around with FOV, but Borderlands needed it.

For those discussing FOV, it's important to realise there are two different FOV scales.

Some games measure FOV horizontally, where 90-110 seems about right, and others measure vertically, where 65-85 is probably more reasonable.

Here's a page where you can convert from hFOV to vFOC.
http://rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php
BC2 and presumably BF3 use vertical FOV.

Caporegime
I could've sworn i posted a fov fix for battlefield 3 and it was a reply to Frenchtart..

Edit PROF_SAVE_body with notepad++

3rd line, edit 70.000000 to which ever fov you want 80.000000 for example

No matter, there's two threads going about the same thing :(

Soldato
Reduced FOV does boost framerate, although it's unlikely to be the primary driver behind low FOV on consoles.

I highly doubt there is any significant difference fps-wise when FoV is reduced. There might be some if you use extreme values but there shouldn't be large if it's just a fix to adjust the view to your monitor and distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

This is a great video explaining why console games use fixed FoV of 55-60 and why PC gamers need higher FoV to avoid motion sickness and get the most out of their monitors.

There is no one fixed horizontal FoV value you should use, it entirely depends on how large your screen is, distance between you and the display, the aspect ratio and, in some circumstance, on the game. Of course adjusting FoV can have more benefits if you're a professional gamer but that's a matter of taste IMO.

Back
Top Bottom