• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Frame Rating: AMD Improves CrossFire with Prototype Driver

I think this is the best thing to come out of it - too often in the past these kind of things would just go unresolved and/or they'd make a lot of noise about but not actually do anything which is where a lot of my dislike of ATI/AMD comes from. Seems to reinforce the effort they've been putting in of late to turn things around on this front (assuming the drivers do actually come out and within a reasonable time frame).

I think what amd are doing from what i read is giving you the option to smooth frames as an option that can be ticked or unticked which is good as you yourself said the more you do this the more input lag you get. Some users might not like it and keep it off for better reaction times.

Last edited:
Well, AMD aren't going to do nothing while a big reviewer says "there is a problem" that would be suicide, the only thing they can do is what they did.

And if they don't do the same with Nvidia then no, there is no competition. Just mud slinging.

Many people here are happy to say "well I dont have that problem" and then dismiss the issue.

If it was just a mud slinging exercise then surely AMD would have been able to show why the results were an attempt by PCper (with a shadowy evil pulling their strings) to sully their good name, in which case we would all point and laugh and never pay any heed to what the site published in future. Anyway, if the PCper numbers were biased then surely a month down the line somebody would have shown that to be.

What has actually happened is that AMD have acknowledged that it is a big problem for xfire and they are pulling their finger out to resolve it. Which is a good thing. The only people who will have a cry are those who pay more attention to the yellow number in the screen corner rather than what is happening on the rest of the display.

Surely I am not the only one who is sick to the back teeth of people (on both sides!) crying bias or fanboy whenever a review or test goes against their favourite multinational faceless corporation.

What has actually happened is that AMD have acknowledged that it is a big problem for xfire and they are pulling their finger out to resolve it. Which is a good thing. The only people who will have a cry are those who pay more attention to the yellow number in the screen corner rather than what is happening on the rest of the display.

This is the thing, it is a win for AMD's customers because AMD has acknowledged and worked to repair the problem. Whether or not it is perceptible is down to each individual but having the GPUs running more smoothly in synchronicity can only be good for CrossFire owners.

Many people here are happy to say "well I dont have that problem" and then dismiss the issue.

If it was just a mud slinging exercise then surely AMD would have been able to show why the results were an attempt by PCper (with a shadowy evil pulling their strings) to sully their good name, in which case we would all point and laugh and never pay any heed to what the site published in future. Anyway, if the PCper numbers were biased then surely a month down the line somebody would have shown that to be.

Surely I am not the only one who is sick to the back teeth of people (on both sides!) crying bias or fanboy whenever a review or test goes against their favourite multinational faceless corporation.

Its definitely not in AMD's interest to get into explaining its self, it really isn't. if they are clever that is the last thing they would want to do.

In any case no one is disputing how it looks on paper, and it is good that AMD have taken steps to fix it, yes. :)

What sticks a little with this, is that they have never pulled Nvidia up for similar problems, at least not publicly, when they had plenty of opportunity.

And plenty of sound mind do argue the way they went at AMD with this, the way they presented it, was not, shall we say, dispassionate?

One could say the timing of that article and the (proper) 7990 release don't seem to be entirely coincidental :D

The problem with doing an article on the Kepler issues is that initially it was a fairly fluid situation with new drivers on the horizon that supposedly fixed it, etc. so any indepth article was potentially going to be behind the times. The crossfire problems were a much more static target for an indepth article.

Not sure why this is being turned onto Nvidia but this is very much like the Nvidia stutter bug problem which affected a few users. Nvidia acknowledged the problem and supplied a fix (but that didn't fix it for every single user I must add).

AMD have done the same in acknowledging the frame smoothness and addressing it in a future driver release. It doesn't matter how you try to make PCPer look or any other site that also showed the latency issues, whilst AMD have admitted to there being a problem, this backs up what PCPer showed surely?

Not sure why this is being turned onto Nvidia but this is very much like the Nvidia stutter bug problem which affected a few users. Nvidia acknowledged the problem and supplied a fix (but that didn't fix it for every single user I must add).

AMD have done the same in acknowledging the frame smoothness and addressing it in a future driver release. It doesn't matter how you try to make PCPer look or any other site that also showed the latency issues, whilst AMD have admitted to there being a problem, this backs up what PCPer showed surely?

single card is fine seems even amd has an upper edge on single cards.
crossfire a different story as far.
fixing it is on its way.

It doesn't matter that AMD admitted it's a problem as on this forum they're perfect. Essentially it comes down to people getting their backs up that shock horror their GPU manufacturer of choice might have problems and this might feed into their forum arguments and mean their choice isn't perceived as perfect hence the attack on the credibility of the reviewer. It's the same with [H] on here. I thought it was a bit irritating at first but now I just laugh at how pathetic it is :D.

It doesn't matter that AMD admitted it's a problem as on this forum they're perfect. Essentially it comes down to people getting their backs up that shock horror their GPU manufacturer of choice might have problems and this might feed into their forum arguments and mean their choice isn't perceived as perfect hence the attack on the credibility of the reviewer. It's the same with [H] on here. I thought it was a bit irritating at first but now I just laugh at how pathetic it is :D.

Oh give up gregster, lets not stoop to this level, eh? :rolleyes:

Its impossible to have a grown up conversation in here without you twisting it into something its not.

I'm out.....

Oh give up gregster, lets not stoop to this level, eh? :rolleyes:

Its impossible to have a grown up conversation in here without you twisting it into something its not.

I'm out.....

I very cleverly twisted that post to make it look like me who had posted it :D

Look in my eyes, don't look around the eyes, look into my eyes :p

There is always going to be a bit of that, but its not all about that.

Apparently Fermi had some equally bad or worse frametimes in some games but besides techreport showing frametimes not a big deal was made of it and even before then both NV and AMD admitted Multi GPU had issues and that NV said that they were working on it, but no one was making out that the situation was unacceptable, room for improvement yes and effort should be made to improve it.
Now NV is first to the line and now all of a sudden allot of effort is being made by some to imply that what was before or anything other is unplayable and flat out bad experience.

Tearing is a bad experience to me personally but it seems the majority accept varying amount of it, if they manage to solve it without Vsync then that will be the new thing on the block with what was before being put forwards as unplayable and flat out bad experience with reviews asked to focus on it depending on who gets there first.

Dx10.1 was not important, a games gets a dx10.1 upgrade and shows noticeable efficiency improvements, the sponsor cant do dx10.1 so it gets patch out again.

Dx11 not important, but when the other gets it, now it is with loads of unnoticeable tessellation on some objects, now that they are equal in tessellation performance it not a big deal any more and not pushed as hard, lets move back to pushing Physx.

Fermi is hotter, more juicy but it has the performance lead and the Compute lead, so its O.K.

Southern Islands is hotter, more juicy but it has the performance lead (only just) and the Compute lead, so its O.K....er NO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom