• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Frame Rating: AMD Improves CrossFire with Prototype Driver

Soldato
microstutter as they called it WAS made a big deal of on Fermi and other cards
that is exactly why nvidia developed frame metering and made a big push about it when they released the kepler cards

the problem was that there wasn't a test method to give quantitative results of microstutter, until recently
frametimes from FRAPS were only part of the story, as we now know

Soldato
microstutter as they called it WAS made a big deal of on Fermi and other cards
that is exactly why nvidia developed frame metering and made a big push about it when they released the kepler cards

the problem was that there wasn't a test method to give quantitative results of microstutter, until recently
frametimes from FRAPS were only part of the story, as we now know

There was nowhere near the fuss made and only when NV solved it was the big fuss made and they were all happy to use FRAPS in initial blow up way before FCAT.
There are review site members on other sites that said that they were emailed by NV focus group members to focus on frametimes with FRAPS when AMD 7xxx started to take the FPS lead.

There is even Keysplayr: Member of Nvidia Focus Group dropping the hint on anandtech that the storm was comming.

Last edited:
Soldato
you and I have very different recollections then... I can remember everyone naysaying on getting any kind of 2 card setup because of "microstutter" when I was looking at 560ti vs GTX580

people hadn't even started looking at frame time software at the time, but microstutter was still made a very big deal of on forums by people suffering issues from it any time someone asked about dual card vs. single faster card

Soldato
you and I have very different recollections then... I can remember everyone naysaying on getting any kind of 2 card setup because of "microstutter" when I was looking at 560ti vs GTX580

people hadn't even started looking at frame time software at the time, but microstutter was still made a very big deal of on forums by people suffering issues from it any time someone asked about dual card vs. single faster card

Yes there has always been some people on forums moaning about microstutter, but few were trying to make out to be what going on now like across the board and now with most reviews sites jumping on the bandwagon, there was and article here and there, but now its everywhere just after NV has gotten to grips with it to some extent.

I remember i was having it out with a guy who was flat out multi GPU, didnt hear from him for some time, so i did a search and the next thing i see he has sli 260.

I'm not moaning that its being looked at and being addressed which is a good thing, but im not going to accept that's its just coincidence.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes there has always been some people on forums moaning about microstutter, but few were trying to make out to be what going on now like across the board and now with most reviews sites jumping on the bandwagon, there was and article here and there, but now its everywhere just after NV has gotten to grips with it to some extent.

People have been banging the SLI seems smoother than Xfire drum for ages though, so it's hardly a new thing. Tools capable of testing this have only just become available. Before that all we had was raw FPS numbers which as we now know only tell a part of the story.

I'm not moaning that its being looked at and being addressed which is a good thing, but im not going to accept that's its just coincidence.

tfh.jpg

Soldato
People have been banging the SLI seems smoother than Xfire drum for ages though, so it's hardly a new thing. Tools capable of testing this have only just become available. Before that all we had was raw FPS numbers which as we now know only tell a part of the story.

But that was not what i was taking about and was not the point.
Its not about which is better of the 2 as they can be both bad but one is not as bad as the other or both good but one is better than the other, so as i said that was not the point being made.

Th point was that one is now being put across as unplayable when that was not the case for the majority when even the brand that is now in the lead has had just as bad in the past at times.

Its seems that you don't get the point at all and im not even go to waste any more time trying, im going back to playing BF3. :)

Associate
Really, unplayable? Are you reading the words everyone else is seeing or what you think you are seeing? As far as I am aware absolutely nobody is saying it is unplayable, just that there are some big issues with framerate vs frames displayed.

It seems you are the one who is not getting the point, and are seeing bizarre conspiracies where none exist.

Soldato
Really, unplayable? Are you reading the words everyone else is seeing or what you think you are seeing? As far as I am aware absolutely nobody is saying it is unplayable, just that there are some big issues with framerate vs frames displayed.

It seems you are the one who is not getting the point, and are seeing bizarre conspiracies where none exist.

Maybe because i read more forums than you.

Associate
Maybe because i read more forums than you.

If it makes you feel better then sure.

I've read the PCper articles and the threads here, and as far as I am aware nobody is talking nonsense about xfire suddenly being unplayable. Bringing up what idiots (and lets be fair if they are saying what you claim they are then they deserve the tag) on other forums say has nothing to do with the discussion here.

Soldato
If it makes you feel better then sure.

I've read the PCper articles and the threads here, and as far as I am aware nobody is talking nonsense about xfire suddenly being unplayable. Bringing up what idiots (and lets be fair if they are saying what you claim they are then they deserve the tag) on other forums say has nothing to do with the discussion here.

I didn't say people here was saying it here did i, semantics, bye!

Last edited:
Soldato
If it was not such a big deal, then AMD wouldn't suddenly be putting so much time and effort into resolving the problem. Thankfully they have not just dismissed the findings as some on here seem to be happy to do.

I would agree with you if PCPER and the likes all posted slowdown vids of the Nvidia stuttter bug, but as it was largely brushed under the carpet-taking into consideration the amount of stutter bug sufferers there could have been in comparison to CrossFire users and AMD didn't bother with the other teams failings as it has it's own problems to worry about.

There was a dedicated thread here that dismissed the stutter bug on the whole in the same vein as some CrossFire users dismissing the CrossFire stutter as they simply don't notice it, remember they play games in real time-not in slow-mo.

Some CrossFire users don't think it's good enough, other CrossFire users don't have an issue with it, the ones that don't, wouldn't have went CrossFire again, would they?

Associate
Well that's just silly then.

You could find a viewpoint that says just about anything out there on the 'net. Perhaps you should value quality over quantity for your forum browsing, as it would seem you are reading some pretty poorly thought out stuff.

Soldato
Well that's just silly then.

You could find a viewpoint that says just about anything out there on the 'net. Perhaps you should value quality over quantity for your forum browsing, as it would seem you are reading some pretty poorly thought out stuff.

Yes the NV forum and post from NV focus group members who just happen to make comments about things before they happen and then a short while after it happens across reviews and forums, they just got lucky i guess.

Last edited:
Associate
I would agree with you if PCPER and the likes all posted slowdown vids of the Nvidia stuttter bug, but as it was largely brushed under the carpet-taking into consideration the amount of stutter bug sufferers there could have been in comparison to CrossFire users and AMD didn't bother with the other teams failings as it has it's own problems to worry about.

There was a dedicated thread here that dismissed the stutter bug on the whole in the same vein as some CrossFire users dismissing the CrossFire stutter as they simply don't notice it, remember they play games in real time-not in slow-mo.

Some CrossFire users don't think it's good enough, other CrossFire users don't have an issue with it, the ones that don't, wouldn't have went CrossFire again, would they?

It doesnt matter if they did or didnt pick up on the stutter bug. It does not invalidate the findings on this issue. Findings that are obvioulsy valid given how AMD have responded.

And yes, I agree that people dismissing the stutter issue are equally misguided.

Soldato
It doesnt matter if they did or didnt pick up on the stutter bug. It does not invalidate the findings on this issue. Findings that are obvioulsy valid given how AMD have responded.

And yes, I agree that people dismissing the stutter issue are equally misguided.

Again you miss the point, of course it does not invalidate the findings, it just shows double standards.

Back
Top Bottom