• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Frame Rating: AMD Improves CrossFire with Prototype Driver

Caporegime
OP
I don't notice input lag but I am not a good BF3 player. Slightly higher than 1 on the K/D ratio but in my old age, my reactions are far too slow. Even Cleecooo could knife me :(

Lol i eat Cleecooo's for breakfast. :D

I notice it if i don't take the steps required to remove it. I think the monitor you use also has a big say on how noticeable it is.

Soldato
I don't notice input lag but I am not a good BF3 player. Slightly higher than 1 on the K/D ratio but in my old age, my reactions are far too slow. Even Cleecooo could knife me :(

I am 49, soon 50, no issue killing/stabbing/burning those kids ;)
still single card is the way to go.

Caporegime
OP
Whether you can see it or feel it is down to the person, same with this supposed smoothness factor it seems. You're going to get more input lag from two gpu's than you are one though and this will be noticeable more if using vsync id imagine as there will be a delay on each gpu while you wait for the monitor to draw the frame and each frame from each gpu is held in the buffer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Agreed. For Nvidia to get gaming smooth, they add input lag into the frame metering technology they use. Not sure to what extent this is noticeable but for fast action shooters, it isn't ideal.

It will be for the most part far too small a level to be noticeable - looking at the BF3 graph in the article for instance and taking an educated guess at whats actually making it to the screen the GTX690 and 7990 with the prototype drivers probably have an average induced latency somewhere between 0.5 and 3ms.

Man of Honour
I don't see it either but others have mentioned they can when enabling V-Sync.

V-Sync, never use it.

What does that do ?

Seriously limiting output using V-Sync I think has a lot to answer for.

I have seen some pretty awful things once or twice with my Titans where I was bottlenecking the cards with too low a CPU clock. Even though the minimums and average FPS were up in the hundreds it is horrible to look at something like the Heaven bench running with a low CPU overclock. It is easy to cure though, wind the CPU up to a decent level and the cards are as smooth as a single GPU.

My point is, I am wondering if V-Sync has a similar but smaller effect.

Caporegime
V-Sync, never use it.

What does that do ?

Seriously limiting output using V-Sync I think has a lot to answer for.

I have seen some pretty awful things once or twice with my Titans where I was bottlenecking the cards with too low a CPU clock. Even though the minimums and average FPS were up in the hundreds it is horrible to look at something like the Heaven bench running with a low CPU overclock. It is easy to cure though, wind the CPU up to a decent level and the cards are as smooth as a single GPU.

My point is, I am wondering if V-Sync has a similar but smaller effect.

I never use V-Sync either. It is something that is needed for certain games and 60Hz monitors (stops screen tear).

I would imagine you need to crank up the clocks on the CPU to get the full use out of 4 Titans :)

Caporegime
OP
That's another thing that many people don't agree on. I know people with 120hz screens, AMD and Nvidia users and they say you still get screen tear with 120hz yet others say you don't.

I always thought that means you can display up to 120fps before you get screen tearing.

Man of Honour
I never use V-Sync either. It is something that is needed for certain games and 60Hz monitors (stops screen tear).

I would imagine you need to crank up the clocks on the CPU to get the full use out of 4 Titans :)

On Crysis 3 running @4.0ghz is fine as I can just max the settings and it runs very smooth @1600p

If I run Heaven, I have to get the CPU up to 5.0ghz or it is awful, I can see it lurching really bad every few seconds, far worse than anything I have seen here. Once I get the CPU to around 5.0ghz it is very smooth. Fortunately I don't intend to play any games @1080p

Caporegime
That's another thing that many people don't agree on. I know people with 120hz screens, AMD and Nvidia users and they say you still get screen tear with 120hz yet others say you don't.

I always thought that means you can display up to 120fps before you get screen tearing.

It should but games that I played a lot (Black Ops) ran at over 200 fps but I never did see any screen tear but on my previous 60Hz monitor, I could see a big tear across the middle of the screen in some games. Very annoying.

Soldato
Keep the Red Vs Green smack talk out of it puurlllease :p

Advancements in Multi-GPU arrangements is very sorely needed. It's good to finally see serious work on Multi-GPU as a mainstream solution rather than a gimmick/niche market.

I love the idea of Multi-GPU but am just not willing to put up with the downsides of latency issues, bad scaling and fubar performance for new titles until drivers release to fix.

When Multi-GPU is as solid or as close to solid as Single GPU solutions I am all in.

Soldato
As I've said in the other thread I may go crossfire when these drivers pop, all of these benchmarks showing problems with crossfire and minimum FPS really put me off. But if they nail this then I guess it will be a much better sell.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can get hold of the prototypes...

Soldato

stewie-family-guy-29896637-286-300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom