Fridge Problem - Ice forming at back

Associate
Calm down everyone i know these threads can get pretty exciting!

So my fridge is giving me problems. For quite some time it has been forming ice on the back wall. The ice forms in one particular place and forms into a big lump. If i leave it it will get 2 or so inches deep. By this time i usually chip it off however it causes water to pool at the bottom.

The ice forms just above the ridge above the salad trays. The draining hole in the ridge is not blocked and i've cleaned it out to make sure. Because the ice forms over the ridge it causes water to drip down pooling at the bottom.

The fridge operates fine other than that it's just a pain having to chip the ice out every few weeks and mop up water from the bottom every few days.

Anyone any idea what the problem is?

It's a fridge freezer jobby. The freezer has been recently defrosted as it was very icey and i thought it could have been linked. This hasn't helped. It's integrated so not pulled it out yet but if needed i can do so.

Soldato
is it a new one? Mine is several months old and get icicles at the back of the fridge. But mine goes super cold even on the warmest setting.

obviously if it is building up then you probably need to defrost it and see what returns - and then chuck it in your nearest illegal landfill site/side of the road (jokes)

Associate
OP
it's not new - 4 or 5 years old i think although it's a cheapy brand i believe (Butler - not heard of them).

I've turned it up and down and the same thing happens. Door seal seems ok.

It seems to be that particular part of the back panel is much colder than the rest of it. I think i'll get it out and have a look - bash with hammer - then as mentioned dump in landfill if it doesn't work.

Struggling to find a similar problem in google. Plenty of icing issues but none that result in a single lump of ice.

Soldato
buy a new one.
We did this just two weeks ago. Our old fridge had a massive wall of ice at the back. It was fun making sandwiches for lunch with frozen ham and turkey slices. :D:rolleyes:

In the end we just decided to cut our losses and get a new one. Probably the best thing to do rather than faff around trying to defrost it as it'll only clear the problem temporarily.

Associate
OP
We did this just two weeks ago. Our old fridge had a massive wall of ice at the back. It was fun making sandwiches for lunch with frozen ham and turkey slices. :D:rolleyes:

In the end we just decided to cut our losses and get a new one. Probably the best thing to do rather than faff around trying to defrost it as it'll only clear the problem temporarily.

This is what i'm thinking at the moment. If it wasn't integrated it wouldn't be such a faff. Did the dishwasher last year which was a bit of a pain. Now the washing machine looks like it's on it's way out aswell! Great :mad::D

Soldato
Are you getting any ice on the coil btw? (one on the back of the fridge) if its low on gas the coil will ice up and this could also cause excess ice inside I guess.

Back
Top Bottom