Fruit identification help needed.

Soldato
Looks like either an acorn or a pine cone?

very good!
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Soldato
& @Eddie jam sounds ideal to preserve them, I'll pick a load and eat some while I gather the jam equipment.

If it was my mother, she'd be making 'plum and bramble jam' and 'plum and apple jam', those are her two favourites, so maybe give them a go.

Every year she makes more jam than she knows what to do with!

Caporegime
If it was my mother, she'd be making 'plum and bramble jam' and 'plum and apple jam', those are her two favourites, so maybe give them a go.

Every year she makes more jam than she knows what to do with!

one you cant buy but is the best jam period is strawberry and goosegog or gooseberry to normal people. absolutley amazing. plum jam is nice.

Soldato
one you cant buy but is the best jam period is strawberry and goosegog or gooseberry to normal people. absolutley amazing. plum jam is nice.

I don't think I've tried strawberry & goosegog jam, sounds delicious.

We call them goosegogs in my neck of the woods, too.

We're the normal ones :p

Soldato
Get them fermented. Remove the stones then pulp and press the flesh. Leave the juice to stand loosely covered (we want CO2 to get out but no air getting in, so you want a lid that will open when the co2 pressure builds but then drops closed again) and it will ferment with the natural yeasts. If you can't press them, add water and sugar to the pulp (to a gravity of 1060 to 1080) and cover and leave. Filter and drink as fruit wine, or filter and bottle with more sugar for a stronger sparkling wine, or distil (or even freeze out) to get an Eau de Vie.

Soldato
Get them fermented. Remove the stones then pulp and press the flesh. Leave the juice to stand loosely covered (we want CO2 to get out but no air getting in, so you want a lid that will open when the co2 pressure builds but then drops closed again) and it will ferment with the natural yeasts. If you can't press them, add water and sugar to the pulp (to a gravity of 1060 to 1080) and cover and leave. Filter and drink as fruit wine, or filter and bottle with more sugar for a stronger sparkling wine, or distil (or even freeze out) to get an Eau de Vie.
Whilst that sounds great, that sounds incredibly convuluted

Associate

One you can buy thats better is kiwi and gooseberry.

Well not sure if you can buy it anymore, it used to be a Supermarket fancy brand staple. Perfectly sweet and sour / tart.

Back
Top Bottom