Fruit identification help needed.

Caporegime
One you can buy thats better is kiwi and gooseberry.

Well not sure if you can buy it anymore, it used to be a Supermarket fancy brand staple. Perfectly sweet and sour / tart.

we used to make all kinds of jam as we have literally every fruit going which wasnt that rare make fruit pies and jams daily. for many years. cant say i tried that combo but i get what you mean with kiwi similar but wild ripe strawberry just something a kiwi cant be beaten. :D its great to see some people know what goosegogs are. most dont by that name. :p

Associate
we used to make all kinds of jam as we have literally every fruit going which wasnt that rare make fruit pies and jams daily. for many years. cant say i tried that combo but i get what you mean with kiwi similar but wild ripe strawberry just something a kiwi cant be beaten. :D its great to see some people know what goosegogs are. most dont by that name. :p

I doubt 'goosegogs' is a real name, must be a slang term that only you know of.

Used to munch on raw gooseberries as a kid. Imagine lemons but more sour and a little bitter and more crunch, less water.

Also yes, dictionaries say 'goosegog' is informal.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Didn't realise plums were such a rarity in Bristol!
He's letting our side down!

There's quite a few poisonous berries, Nightshade (of which there are a few different varieties some poisonous some not) and Lords and Ladies are the most well known (and poisonous) ones.

Isn't the humble potato part of the night shade family? I'm sure I was told when growing up not to touch the white flowers on the potato plant as they're potentially dangerous

Associate
He's letting our side down!

Isn't the humble potato part of the night shade family? I'm sure I was told when growing up not to touch the white flowers on the potato plant as they're potentially dangerous

Potatoes, Tomatoes, Peppers & aubergines are all common nightshades. Some parts of the plants can be toxic but like many plants there is differences between the different varieties. Same with the Apiaceae family which contains both Carrots and Parsley (Edible) and Poison Hemlock (Deadly). Its why you should never eat anything growing wild unless you are 100% sure of what it is. I once had to stop a friend eating Water Dropwort (Deadly) which smells similar to parsley. A lot of the uk wild Edible plants have a similar looking plant that you really don't want to eat.

Capodecina
Soldato
Yep, Mirabelle plums, we have a few trees in the high street. They're absolutely delicious when ripe. Most people don't know what they are and will look at you funny if they see you taking them off the trees and eating them.

Soldato
OP
Update:

I picked a load of ripe plums and (with the help of the missus) made a crumble today.

I counted the stones afterwards and a total of 126 plums were used:

PXL-20210725-165037465.jpg

The topping was a crumble mix, pecans and Demerara sugar:

PXL-20210725-181451702.jpg

Just having a some now, with both clotted and double cream:

PXL-20210725-181648789.jpg

Yummy :)

Back
Top Bottom