Fuel prices

Caporegime
i think at times octopus has free electricity or even pays you to take it off the grid somehow, so you can charge your car battery at that time.

I’m not sure if they are a good deal otherwise though.
and other time’s its 35p/kWh. Not sure about these variable ones. I guess if you had a way to only charge the car below a certain price it would help but evenings is typically peak (pre lockdown world) so you would be paying a lot more for household electricity.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
and other time’s its 35p/kWh. Not sure about these variable ones. I guess if you had a way to only charge the car below a certain price it would help but evenings is typically peak (pre lockdown world) so you would be paying a lot more for household electricity.
Indeed, every variable tariff which i have seen so far (including the octopus EV item) has not been impressive at all. Someone on here actually posted a details breakdown of the variable tariff which they were on and it averaged around 10p/kwh over the year. If you consider that the troughs were very cheap, this obviously leads to the conclusion that the surge pricing elsewhere was fairly heavy. Then consider that the very nature of power use is that you are very much more likely to use more power outside of the troughs on average, and that your average spend is likely to be above this figure.

A basic non smart tariff is fixed at the average of the variable...it makes no sense to go variable unless you really can heavily tip your power usage into the troughs. I'd bet that not many households can do this unless they somehow drain a tesla to empty each day and hammer it over night, most nights.

Man of Honour
I think what jamoor was saying is that due to inefficiencies in the system (i.e. wholesale prices are not immediately passed onto consumers) electric is 'better'. There are examples of electricity suppliers who have dynamic pricing that can pass on wholesale costs of electricity on to consumers on an hourly basis.
I still don't see that as making it a excellent time to switch to electric compared to before, because those inefficiences have always been there. Surely a more excellent time would have been when petrol prices were a lot higher (and I think there were more/bigger grants available from the government for EV) and people were using more fuel (prior to lockdown).

In other words the average person's cost of fuel must be massively reduced because it is cheaper per litre and they need to buy less litres (see this thread on mileage: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/your-car-mileage-for-april.18885543/ ).

Soldato
I still don't see that as making it a excellent time to switch to electric compared to before, because those inefficiences have always been there. Surely a more excellent time would have been when petrol prices were a lot higher (and I think there were more/bigger grants available from the government for EV) and people were using more fuel (prior to lockdown).

In other words the average person's cost of fuel must be massively reduced because it is cheaper per litre and they need to buy less litres (see this thread on mileage: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/your-car-mileage-for-april.18885543/ ).
My mileage hasn't really changed at all, I still go to work and back like normal.

My meaning was avoid getting ripped off by petrol stations in general and just go electric. The fuel stations in my local town and on my commute are still around 105ish so I'd have to go out of my way to get petrol at the price it should be.

Costco has literally been below £1 for weeks so either they're really cheap or everyone else is a rip off.

Soldato
Costco stations have very little manning don’t operate 24/7 and when they are open generally busy as anything

if their even making 3/4p a litre they won’t be doing to bad

Man of Honour
My mileage hasn't really changed at all, I still go to work and back like normal.

My meaning was avoid getting ripped off by petrol stations in general and just go electric. The fuel stations in my local town and on my commute are still around 105ish so I'd have to go out of my way to get petrol at the price it should be.

Costco has literally been below £1 for weeks so either they're really cheap or everyone else is a rip off.

You're hardly being ripped off, with such a dramatic fall in car usage many petrol stations would face financial ruin operating on thin wholesaler margins. You need volume to sustain those margins and the volume just isn't there at the moment is it?

Finding the right petrol station is surely no different in concept to finding the right tariff to charge your electric car, just as easy to be ripped off by your power company if you've not spent time getting the best deal isn't it?

Soldato
You're hardly being ripped off, with such a dramatic fall in car usage many petrol stations would face financial ruin operating on thin wholesaler margins. You need volume to sustain those margins and the volume just isn't there at the moment is it?

Finding the right petrol station is surely no different in concept to finding the right tariff to charge your electric car, just as easy to be ripped off by your power company if you've not spent time getting the best deal isn't it?

Not really I can avoid overpaying it from the comfort of my mobile phone and I can fix the price for a year.

I don’t think you can do the same with petrol, it fluctuates weekly and you have to go to a specific location to get a good deal rather than the petrol being delivered to you free of charge.

If the average person fills up 25-30 times a year that’s a fair bit of messing around to avoid overpaying.

you could say it’s the same as getting charged loads by charging providers while out and about but if you could fill up at home for 30p a litre and out and about for 60-90p per litre I’m willing to bet petrol stations will be deserted.

Associate
Finally the closest Tesco to me (around 10miles away) is doing 99.9 for Petrol and 105.9 for diesel!

South east U.K. always seems so expensive in town :/

Man of Honour
Not really I can avoid overpaying it from the comfort of my mobile phone and I can fix the price for a year.

How does that stop you being overcharged? I shopped around from the comfort of my sofa and locked in the cheapest price I could find, fixed for 12 months last November.

I' now overpaying by about 40% as prices have changed and I'm on a fix from last year. I need to shop around again and move to make sure I'm not overpaying. Which is fine, its how things work, but its not really that different to knowing that if you go to Asda for your fuel for example it'll be cheaper.

Caporegime
Exactly.

People get worried about far to many things. Its news to me electricity is delivered free, who paid for the infrastructure?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Electricity prices are far more inflexible than petrol prices, it works both ways as Mr Fox above has illustrated with his high electrical lockin.

The suggestion to avoid tax by using tax free diesel at home is rather moot though, using a domestic power connection to charge an EV is not illegal :p

Soldato
How does that stop you being overcharged? I shopped around from the comfort of my sofa and locked in the cheapest price I could find, fixed for 12 months last November.

I' now overpaying by about 40% as prices have changed and I'm on a fix from last year. I need to shop around again and move to make sure I'm not overpaying. Which is fine, its how things work, but its not really that different to knowing that if you go to Asda for your fuel for example it'll be cheaper.

It's a lot more convenient than having to find a petrol station that isn't 10p more than it should be every day. If you take the time expended in such activities then it's a no brainer. In my use case today I would either have to pay 108p or spend 20 mins to go somewhere to get cheaper fuel. On a full tank its not a big deal but £4 x 52 adds up.

Soldato
Exactly.

People get worried about far to many things. Its news to me electricity is delivered free, who paid for the infrastructure?
The energy for my car doesn't cost me any more than it would otherwise, as I would have an electricity connection at home regardless of the car that I have.

Man of Honour
It's a lot more convenient than having to find a petrol station that isn't 10p more than it should be every day.

You fill up every day?

Once you know where you to for fuel you don't need to keep looking. Asda for example will always be the cheapest and if you have an Asda in your city then the other Supermarkets usually compete.

I have never had an issue finding fuel for a comparatively reasonable amount. It isn't particularly onerous. You just know what it should cost and stop when you see it at about that.

Back
Top Bottom