Fuji X Series

Soldato
At the moment i'm holding off until June to see what the XT2 offers by way of price to price comparision/features? I was in Scotland recently using my XT10 and Rx100 but sort of wished that because the weather was so bad at times, I might have been better off going for the XT1 due to its "weather resistance". Never experienced so much rain and I'm sure that a number of my exposures didn't come out as a consequence of it (using the XT10). I might add the RX100 fared a lot better in adverse weather conditions given its size.

Associate
X-E2 with new firmware is pretty amazing. I've been playing around with AF, and the 7fps burst with AF tracking is surprisingly effective. I'd go as far as to say it's at least as good as my 50D in terms of tracking.

I think there's still enough of a differentiation between the X-E2 and X-T1. Physical controls count for a lot, I often wish I had an extra couple of function buttons or another control wheel. I can't live without the instant AF selector on the direction buttons, so I often find myself setting up the remaining function buttons for whatever I'll be shooting that day.

Picked up a cheap X-E1 the other day for a silly price. I'll use it as a second body with converted MF lenses. What surprises me is that it always plays back images on the LCD, even in "EVF only" mode... if the X-E1 does it, why can't they tweak the X-E2 to do the same?!

Soldato
Just placed an order for the 100-400mm, with a bit of luck I should be able to pick that and the X-Pro2 up at the end of the week :D

When the 100-400 arrives and you have the time could you provide a review with a couple of shots. I keep telling myself I need it when I only want it and need to justify the price? ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Picked this up earlier:

OkgYbMD.jpg

Initial impressions are good, the auto focus system is definitely an improvement although still not as fast as my D800/D810 but it does now focus drastically better in low light.

It's insanely responsive, I can't even describe how responsive it is I'm using UHSII cards at 150mb/s.

The EVF isn't as good as the X-T1 it feels a little washed out indoors but isn't nearly as grainy, it's fantastic in daylight however you do notice the size difference.

Really happy so far, If anyone has any tests they'd like doing let me know and I'll do my best, I'll post some sample shots after I've hopped across the pond tomorrow.

For an idea on RAW sizes:

128GB card

5400 Compressed RAW's
2500 Uncompressed RAW's
9999 Fine JPG's

RAW Buffer size at 8fps is around 25 shots and writes out in around 10 seconds.

RAW Buffer size at 4fps is around 40 shots and writes out in around 10 seconds

JPG Buffer size at 8fps is like a gatling gun and just never ends... I tried for around 300 shots and it just kept going and writes out in around 10 seconds.....

*Edit*

Just done a quick test against my D810 with 24-70 and I can confirm the X-Pro2 with 35mm f/2 does indeed have night vision and can see in the dark I'm totally astonished, as the D810 hunts (even on group). the X-Pro gets a lock with ease without the usual expected red box of doom.

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds encouraging about low-light focusing, and buffer sounds pretty decent - is that for compressed RAW files?

If you could try to get some action shots that would be great to see how it fares.

Associate
Really happy so far, If anyone has any tests they'd like doing let me know and I'll do my best, I'll post some sample shots after I've hopped across the pond tomorrow.

Congrats, looking forward to some sample shots. By all accounts, it should be a better of a camera.

Man of Honour
Also picked up an X-Pro 2 on Friday, its just brilliant, I'd say the IQ is much improved over the older models although the extra 8 megapixels are probably the main difference. It operates very quickly and responsively now and is a joy to use, I've already sold off my D800E and lenses now.

Associate
What's everyone's lens combination? Will probably end up getting the 10-24mm, 18-135mm and a 35mm. Still not sure which body yet though.

Associate
Interested in peoples opinions on the 27 vs the 35, I have the 35 and its obviously great, but im considering switching to the 27 as its tiny and I reckon ill take my camera out more?

Soldato
What's everyone's lens combination? Will probably end up getting the 10-24mm, 18-135mm and a 35mm. Still not sure which body yet though.

Too many now lol!

10-24mm
23mm
35mm
18-55mm
60mm macro

I know the 18-55 overlaps some of the others, but it was the first lens I had, and to be honest it's a cracking walkabout zoom lens. Not worth selling it imho

The 23mm is my default lens at the moment.

Soldato

10-24mm
23mm
35mm f1.4 (selling soon)
35mm f2
50-140mm
56mm
55-200mm (selling soon)
100-400mm (on order)

The 56mm is probably my favourite but only by a whisker and all of the lenses above are very very good indeed.

In terms of body, I'd probably recommend a used X-E2 as a good entry point to Fuji. I've got that, an X-T10 and just got my X-Pro2 which is wonderful so far. I have never quite bonded with the X-T10 but that's mostly because I prefer the rangefinder style/layout of the X-E and X-Pro bodies.

RaV

RaV

Associate
Interested in peoples opinions on the 27 vs the 35, I have the 35 and its obviously great, but im considering switching to the 27 as its tiny and I reckon ill take my camera out more?

As long as you dont need the speed of the 35mm, though 2.8 seems fine for most situations. I do really like my 27, and it does make a xe2 very small.
Its also got good IQ. For the price if it does help with taking the camera out more then it is definitely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom