Fuji X Series

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
I really like the 50-140mm - it's my favourite focal length range for portraiture and studio work plus I use it quite frequently for landscapes, too. Probably my sharpest, and fastest focussing Fuji lens. I haven't had any issues with the OIS degrading image quality. The only issue for some, which we have discussed before in this thread, is that the bokeh can be perceived as "busy", but I don't have any problems with it ( if you are doing portraiture it's good practice to be aware of the background anyway, and plan accordingly ).

Regards the AF performance, if those reports are true, and the X-T2 is at least comparable to the D7200 and D750 then I'd be delighted.

Some people are reporting online that they've been contacted by their camera dealers with an expected ship date for the camera of before the end of August. Official release date is still 8th September, however. I wonder if enough cameras have been produced in the first batch to fulfill all pre-orders ?

Caporegime
I really like the 50-140mm - it's my favourite focal length range for portraiture and studio work plus I use it quite frequently for landscapes, too. Probably my sharpest, and fastest focussing Fuji lens. I haven't had any issues with the OIS degrading image quality. The only issue for some, which we have discussed before in this thread, is that the bokeh can be perceived as "busy", but I don't have any problems with it ( if you are doing portraiture it's good practice to be aware of the background anyway, and plan accordingly ).

Regards the AF performance, if those reports are true, and the X-T2 is at least comparable to the D7200 and D750 then I'd be delighted.

Some people are reporting online that they've been contacted by their camera dealers with an expected ship date for the camera of before the end of August. Official release date is still 8th September, however. I wonder if enough cameras have been produced in the first batch to fulfill all pre-orders ?

Thanks for the feedback. What is the OIS noise like, I hear the lens produces an audible whine?

Associate
Thanks for the feedback. What is the OIS noise like, I hear the lens produces an audible whine?

I don't hear a whine, more like a soft, barely audible motor .... no different to my Nikon lenses with VR. Put it this way, I don't find it distracting whilst I'm shooting.

Caporegime
I don't hear a whine, more like a soft, barely audible motor .... no different to my Nikon lenses with VR. Put it this way, I don't find it distracting whilst I'm shooting.

Ok thanks mate. I think they I am going to end up buying this lens, as I need a fast and flexible zoom for family events and portraits, and I think the 56mm f1.2 is too much of a one-trick pony for me to justify purchasing.

My lens purchase plans are, in order:

• 18-55mm (as part of an X-T2 kit)
  • 23mm f2
  • 50-140mm
  • 100-400mm

I will also likely pick up the x1.4TC as part of a deal with one of the lenses as the effect on the IQ is negligible, and it will be very useful for wildlife.

I think that combined with my 16mm f1.4 and my 35mm f2 that this will basically give me a very strong and capable lens selection for just about every scenario i can think of. The only other lens I could forsee being interested in is a wide-angle zoom f2.8 with WR and OIS.

It's going to be a damn expensive few months leading up to Christmas...

Soldato
Ok thanks mate. I think they I am going to end up buying this lens, as I need a fast and flexible zoom for family events and portraits, and I think the 56mm f1.2 is too much of a one-trick pony for me to justify purchasing.

• 23mm f2
  • 50-140mm
  • 100-400mm

I will also likely pick up the x1.4TC as part of a deal with one of the lenses as the effect on the IQ is negligible, and it will be very useful for wildlife.

I think that combined with my 16mm f1.4 and my 35mm f2 that this will basically give me a very strong and capable lens selection for just about every scenario i can think of. The only other lens I could forsee being interested in is a wide-angle zoom f2.8 with WR and OIS.

I'd better read up on the 50 to 140. I've got the 60mm and the 35mm with the 100-400 & 1.4 teleconverter. I'd previously hoped I could get away with using the 60mm for portrait along with the 35mm 1.4. Wondering if it would act as a replacement for the xc 50 to 230, though the 50-140 looks heavier.

Associate

• 23mm f2
  • 50-140mm
  • 100-400mm

You previously owned a Nikon 70-200m f2.8 VRII, am I correct ? The noise that generates when VR is active is no louder, or different, to the Fuji 50-140mm.

My Fuji lens line-up is presently the 10-24mm f4, 16-55mm f2.8, 50-140mm f2.8 and the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6. I might pick up the 56mm f1.2 APD version at some point for portraiture, but personally that's all I'd use it for. For someone who shoots weddings I think it would be a must - either that or the 90mm f2.

I've been toying with getting the 16mm f1.4 because I'd like to dabble with astrophotography. The 14mm f2.8 could also work but I think the faster aperture on the 16mm lens makes it a better choice. Do you find the 16mm wide enough for your photography ? If you don't plan on doing many night landscapes /astro then I'd recommend having a look at the 10-24mm zoom. It's light, compact and sharp. There are rumours that Fuji might be developing a 8-16mm f2.8 ... would be superb if true.

Associate
I'd better read up on the 50 to 140. I've got the 60mm and the 35mm with the 100-400 & 1.4 teleconverter. I'd previously hoped I could get away with using the 60mm for portrait along with the 35mm 1.4. Wondering if it would act as a replacement for the xc 50 to 230, though the 50-140 looks heavier.

Some people have stated to being happier using the 60mm for portraiture than the 56mm f1.2. Having used neither I can't comment but it doesn't sound like there is much in it to me. Following feedback about the 56mm Fuji produced the APD version ( which is a good deal more expensive ) which renders more pleasing bokeh.

If you use the XC 50-230 quite a bit, then you'll definitely find the 50-140mm f2.8 a step up in quality & performance. Yes, it's undoubtedly heavier but I don't find it uncomfortable ( speaking as someone who is used to lugging around full-frame pro Nikon lenses ). Plus, the 50-140mm works well with the 1.4 x teleconverter.

Caporegime

The 50-140 is a jack of all trades. It can easily do portraiture as well as action.

The best place to check out Fuji lenses is on Youtube, there is some great test coverage of all of the lenses. :)
You previously owned a Nikon 70-200m f2.8 VRII, am I correct ? The noise that generates when VR is active is no louder, or different, to the Fuji 50-140mm.

Yup mate, I did. I have read that the Fuji produces an unusually loud noise though... https://www.google.ch/search?q=fuji...rome..69i57.6269j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I've been toying with getting the 16mm f1.4 because I'd like to dabble with astrophotography. The 14mm f2.8 could also work but I think the faster aperture on the 16mm lens makes it a better choice. Do you find the 16mm wide enough for your photography ? If you don't plan on doing many night landscapes /astro then I'd recommend having a look at the 10-24mm zoom. It's light, compact and sharp. There are rumours that Fuji might be developing a 8-16mm f2.8 ... would be superb if true.

The 16mm is the perfect focal range for me in terms of wide angle, not too long and not too short. I can generally frame what I want to frame well enough, and the f1.4 does come in useful for low light. It's a great lens, I love it.

An 8-16mm f2.8 would be pretty damn cool... not sure how much use I would get out of it though! :)

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Anyone preorder the 23mm f2?

Also do you think the rumoured price hike in September will affect the current XT-2 price and 23mm f2 price or just the older stuff?

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone preorder the 23mm f2?

Also do you think the rumoured price hike in September will affect the current XT-2 price and 23mm f2 price or just the older stuff?

The price has already been adjusted upwards ....

I won't be pre-ordering the 23mm f2 as I'm not much of a prime shooter, particularly at that focal length. It's nice that Fuji continues to flesh out its lens lineup though ... more choice is good.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
The price has already been adjusted upwards ....

I won't be pre-ordering the 23mm f2 as I'm not much of a prime shooter, particularly at that focal length. It's nice that Fuji continues to flesh out its lens lineup though ... more choice is good.

I was expecting the whole line up to go up in price, the 35mm f2 is still at £299... The 100-400 is still st the same price as I bought it at release too :confused:

Or am I just being paranoid :p

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I don't know but there is currently an offer/promotion on it which wasn't available when I purchased it :(

Yeah this does suck! I was ignoring the promotion prices though as the none promotion price is still the same.

How you finding it, I still need to get round to posting my Safari picks up

Soldato
Excellent when I can keep it still enough. I took a photo of a guy sea- fishing on a rock (in what seemed to me treacherous conditions) about half a mile out with the 1.4 tele connected. I was lying down when I took this. I'm hoping the XT2 is going to make a difference at the long-end when walking about or caught unawares :

Fishermenkeeponfishing4facebook2_zpstfnbq14d.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Excellent when I can keep it still enough. I took a photo of a guy sea- fishing on a rock (in what seemed to me treacherous conditions) about half a mile out with the 1.4 tele connected. I was lying down when I took this. I'm hoping the XT2 is going to make a difference at the long-end when walking about or caught unawares :

Fishmenkeeponfishing4facebook2_zpstfnbq14d.jpg

Got any more photos with the lens, ethan? Flickr or something? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not too much that are decent I'm afraid because I'm still trying to get used to the weight etc. Well not at the moment. Perhaps a personal request to Zaf might be in order with his safari pics?

Back
Top Bottom