Fuji X Series

Associate
Anyone got the 90mm on an XE body? I'm seriously considering it if an example pops up on the refurb site but would like to hear opinions on if it feels unbalanced on the xe2

Soldato
I've got the 90mm and it is pretty unbalanced on my X-E2 (compared to my X-Pro2) but it is a fantastic bit of glass.

The only caveats I would add are it is an unusual focal length and there is no OIS so you'll need to shoot at least 1/125 probably 1/250 unless you have great handheld technique.

That aside, it is crazy sharp from F2 and renders beautifully, the WR is a nice added extra although not as useful on an X-E2.

Caporegime
I would have no use for the 90mm, it's a very niche lens imo. Still, it's meant to be one of the sharpest lenses in existence and creates some amazing images from what I have seen online.

The X-T2 is now so close I can smell it. The only minor irritant is why on earth they didn't give it a touch screen to bring it in line with other modern high end mirrorless cameras. It would have made focusing during movies etc very quick and convenient. Also the flip out screen design is a little annoying in that it seems a bit fiddly and also doesn't rotate to face the front, which would have been very cool for videoing yourself.

Other than that, pretty sure it's going to be the best overall mirrorless camera ever released (imo). :)

Associate
I would have no use for the 90mm, it's a very niche lens imo. Still, it's meant to be one of the sharpest lenses in existence and creates some amazing images from what I have seen online.

The X-T2 is now so close I can smell it. The only minor irritant is why on earth they didn't give it a touch screen to bring it in line with other modern high end mirrorless cameras. It would have made focusing during movies etc very quick and convenient. Also the flip out screen design is a little annoying in that it seems a bit fiddly and also doesn't rotate to face the front, which would have been very cool for videoing yourself.

Other than that, pretty sure it's going to be the best overall mirrorless camera ever released (imo). :)

Probably a power issue I'd imagine : no touchscreen or sacrifice 4k video. Fuji have chosen the latter.

Once better battery technology comes along mirrorless will overtake DSLR imo ..

Associate
I've got the 90mm and it is pretty unbalanced on my X-E2 (compared to my X-Pro2) but it is a fantastic bit of glass.

The only caveats I would add are it is an unusual focal length and there is no OIS so you'll need to shoot at least 1/125 probably 1/250 unless you have great handheld technique.

That aside, it is crazy sharp from F2 and renders beautifully, the WR is a nice added extra although not as useful on an X-E2.

Thanks. Got any example shots taken with it?

Soldato
Thanks. Got any example shots taken with it?

Rather than claim to be the best photographer around, probably best if I point you here https://www.flickr.com/groups/fujinon_xf90mm/pool/

There is barely a flaw to the lens outside of its size/weight and the focal length (which is personal opinion of course). OIS would be nice but Fuji seem to dislike adding it on their fixed lenses due to a possible impact on image quality, well that's their excuse anyway!

Caporegime
Probably a power issue I'd imagine : no touchscreen or sacrifice 4k video. Fuji have chosen the latter.

Once better battery technology comes along mirrorless will overtake DSLR imo ..

It's not a power issue of Fuji would have stated this. They simply said they don't think it's a feature people would use so decided not to include it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
An straight out of camera JPEG at 35mm f2, ISO 6400...

14137990_10153596600766330_3292881381605242168_o.jpg

I much prefer the Fuji high ISO to my Nikon D750 high ISO, detail is retained and it has a much cleaner look, with film-esque grain instead of smudginess.

Last edited:
Associate
Just bought a Fuji X-A2 as a first camera. I know it's the bottom of the range compared to some of the pro versions you guys have but I still can't believe the quality of photos it takes.
I've always assumed a camera like this wouldn't be much better than my phone. ( I now realise how ignorant and dumb that was)
Is there a good guide for photography beginners?
What software should I get which is easy to use?

Caporegime
Just bought a Fuji X-A2 as a first camera. I know it's the bottom of the range compared to some of the pro versions you guys have but I still can't believe the quality of photos it takes.
I've always assumed a camera like this wouldn't be much better than my phone. ( I now realise how ignorant and dumb that was)
Is there a good guide for photography beginners?
What software should I get which is easy to use?

Good man and good purchase, yup, now there is a real chance you will get the Fuji bug. :)

For guide: just Google "beginners photography guide" and look at the ones from the main websites, there are a ton of good free ones out there eg: http://expertphotography.com/a-beginners-guide-to-photography/

For software, to start with just shoot in JPEG and download Paint.net to give you a basic free cropping etc tool.

If you want a first basic taste of Adobe then picking up a cheap copy of Adobe Elements 12 (latest is v14 but costs a lot more) would give you an introduction to basic editing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adobe-Pho...990854?hash=item3d239547c6:g:Si4AAOSwAvJXAz1-

Once you are more comfortable with the camera and how things work, then you can start exploring RAW file shooting and editing.

Just google and read, practise, rinse and repeat. Over the course of a few weeks it will start to fall into place.

What lens did you get with it? :)

Associate
Thanks for the info. I've just got the 16-50 kit lense which I have no idea if it's good or not.
It seems to be producing good shots although I'm away at the moment and haven't had anything loaded up on a computer.
I've took 100's of photos over the last few days of all sorts of stuff while I've been away so can have a good look at how good it is when I get back.

I'm shooting each photo in manual mode first messing with the settings and then the same photo in auto to see if my photos are better than the camera.

Caporegime
Thanks for the info. I've just got the 16-50 kit lense which I have no idea if it's good or not.
It seems to be producing good shots although I'm away at the moment and haven't had anything loaded up on a computer.
I've took 100's of photos over the last few days of all sorts of stuff while I've been away so can have a good look at how good it is when I get back.

I'm shooting each photo in manual mode first messing with the settings and then the same photo in auto to see if my photos are better than the camera.

It is a respectable and good value kit zoom lens, so no worries there.

Manual mode is good, just keep practising and playing with different values so that you understand the effect they all have. The great thing about Fuji is that the lens aperture rings and manual dials make practising exposure very intuitive.

Soldato
Image processing software for X-Trans

So rather stupidly, I reset my Mac forgetting that my Lightroom 5.x install was an upgrade purchase and I've lost the original CD & serial (was a free copy that came with a Samsung NX series purchase).

I'm not sure I fancy shelling out for a new copy of Lightroom because I've previously felt disgruntled that what I consider fixes to Adobe's raw conversion performance have been classed as features by Adobe and required paying for an upgrade to 6.x.

From reading around, Iridient seems to be regarded as the best converter for de-mosaicing X-Trans files, but maybe lacks the workflow features of LR. Does anyone have any experience with Iridient and can confirm? I also believe Iridient may lack automatic lens correction?

Edit: See below for Adobe's own change log for LR 6.1 - listed under the "Bug fix":
Reduced “color blur” artifacts when processing Fujifilm XTrans raw images – In collaboration with Fujifilm, we are still investigating methods to improve fine detail rendering and overall edge definition

Last edited:
Caporegime
Edit: See below for Adobe's own change log for LR 6.1 - listed under the "Bug fix":
Reduced “color blur” artifacts when processing Fujifilm XTrans raw images – In collaboration with Fujifilm, we are still investigating methods to improve fine detail rendering and overall edge definition

To be fair to Adobe, it's not their job to put excessive time and development into figuring out a way to efficiently develop Fuji RAW files that behave in a more difficult fashion to every other manufacturers RAW, it is Fuji's job to work with Adobe to make sure that they understand exactly why the difficulties exist and how to reduce them. Don't you think that Adobe would simply churn out perfect Fuji RAW processing if they were easily able to themselves? Of course they would.

For workflow there is imo nothing better than Lightroom, and their handling of Fuji RAW files now is very good. I think changing provider at this point is like cutting your nose off to spite your face,

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Great. Thanks. It's mainly clarity and sharpness I'm interested in (not subject matter etc).

Just a few from Marwell Zoo on Bank holiday Monday, not the sharpest but if you look at the shutter speeds, I was testing how well the IS worked. (Or should I say, how well I worked with the IS)

These are all straight from the camera to my iPad cropped and uploaded...

https://flickr.com/photos/144265712@N05/sets/72157673196740395

For the life of me I couldn't copy all of the BBCode to paste with my stupid iPad :rolleyes:

Edit: Figured it out but, had to use my Bluetooth keyboard with CMD+A

Untitled by Ryan McMaster, on Flickr

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Now I've got some kind of workflow figured out, I'll start getting my safari pics uploaded... I just don't get on with Lightroom desktop and quite happy with the JPGs straight out of the camera anyway, so this works for me using the camera wifi and my iPad.

iPad Pro next on the shopping list I thinks

Back
Top Bottom