Fuji X Series

Soldato
Really can't decide if I should get a used X-T1 and 18-135 or an X-T20 with 18-55 . Basically this will be a walk about / holiday camera. There is nowhere in Newcastle I can try them out, we don't even have a Jessops now. Worried about the EVF on the T20.

I have used a Canon 550D as my holiday camera for the last 9 years but want something smaller.

Theres a Jessops in the metro centre that has the full Fuji range in stock.

Associate
Managed to get out and have a quick shoot with the new 50mm f/2, here's some examples where I tried to highlight both the benefits and the negatives I've found in the short time since I've had it.

--
Bokeh
---

OCUK-17.jpg

OCUK-18.jpg

OCUK-27.jpg

OCUK-28.jpg

OCUK-31.jpg

--
Chroma
---

OCUK-9.jpg

OCUK-10.jpg

OCUK-6.jpg

--
Detail
---

OCUK-12.jpg

OCUK-16.jpg

OCUK-38.jpg

--
Wildlife
---

OCUK-1.jpg

OCUK-25.jpg

OCUK-26.jpg

--
Portraiture
---

OCUK-8.jpg

OCUK-2.jpg

Associate
I've had both the 56/1.2 and now the 50/2, I find the 56 is a more solid lens both in build and in weight although not too much more, there's much less chroma on the 56 than on the 50, there's not much in the sharpness between the two unless you really want to peep. the 50 is much more modern in feel and control especially manual focus which feels like it has much finer control then the 56. I find the 56 hunts a lot more then the 50 in low light and the focus motor is a little slower although not really noticeable. Focus distance of the 56/1.2 is as CGrieves says and the 50/2 I find is a little closer around 45cm. I've used the 56 in rain on a couple of bodies without issue so WR is a negligible benefit in my experience.

If I wasn't concerned with weight or size I'd go for the 56/1.2 although I'm plenty happy enough with the 50/2, if you get the 56/1.2 Raymond you won't have the matching set :D

Caporegime
I've had both the 56/1.2 and now the 50/2, I find the 56 is a more solid lens both in build and in weight although not too much more, there's much less chroma on the 56 than on the 50, there's not much in the sharpness between the two unless you really want to peep. the 50 is much more modern in feel and control especially manual focus which feels like it has much finer control then the 56. I find the 56 hunts a lot more then the 50 in low light and the focus motor is a little slower although not really noticeable. Focus distance of the 56/1.2 is as CGrieves says and the 50/2 I find is a little closer around 45cm. I've used the 56 in rain on a couple of bodies without issue so WR is a negligible benefit in my experience.

If I wasn't concerned with weight or size I'd go for the 56/1.2 although I'm plenty happy enough with the 50/2, if you get the 56/1.2 Raymond you won't have the matching set :D

I think in a few months I'll get the 56/1.2. It's a truer 85mm equivalent than the 50mm too. So there is that aspect of it.

Then after than I might get the Mitakon 35/0.95 for fun...it seems hilarious....

Soldato
So Jessop's in the metro centre didn't have many Fuji cameras at all. I really wanted to see the XT-1 EVF vs the XT-20 EVF but they didn't have either camera out. Spotted an XT-2 in the cabinet below the stand and a couple of lenses but it seemed an unloved display at the back of the store. Members of staff ignored me and I just couldn't be chewed.

Popped into Curry's PC World back on the home side of the water and they had an XT-1 on display with no lens attached. I asked the assistant if they had an XT-10 or 20 available to compere viewfinders. "We mainly stock the market leader ranges, Canon and Nikon and Sony" "You would be better trying an independent camera store for the XT-10". I said "unfortunately there are no independent stores in Newcastle anymore!. As I walked away from the Fuji stand I passed some Sony cameras and bang there was an XT-10 mixed in with them. I shouted to the lad "This will be the XT-10 then?"

I was pleasantly surprised with the viewfinder on the XT-10, it's not great but most people say the XT-1 is much better. I didn't try the XT-1 as it would have meant getting the assistant back to fit a lens etc and I worry he was up to it. Anyway I think I would be happy with the XT-1 EVF based on the XT-10.

Seems to be a lot of XT-1 popping up second hand now so probably just wait for a good deal on one.

Soldato
Yep seen some in good condition for 450. My original plan was to go for the 18-135 for lens, but I'm not sure it is that great and looks a bit soft. I think the 55-200 is the better bet but I'm used to having a catch all lens at 18-250 on my Canon.

Soldato
I've got B+W 007 pro clear filters on all of my lenses. I never use lens caps and often times don't use hoods either so i like the protection they offer.

There's no reduction in image quality as far as I can tell either which is to be expected from B+W I guess.

Caporegime
I've got B+W 007 pro clear filters on all of my lenses. I never use lens caps and often times don't use hoods either so i like the protection they offer.

There's no reduction in image quality as far as I can tell either which is to be expected from B+W I guess.

That's exactly why, when i am on a day out the lens cap is permanent off.

I have one of those 007 too on my 135L I think.

Back
Top Bottom