Full stop in word

Soldato
Because it allows for better readability, and it is correct.

Why would you only want one, unless you like being wrong?

I've got to say having two spaces after a full stop is news to me. I'm not saying Word grammar checker is the be all and end all but in all my years of doing coursework and general document typing I've never been corrected for just using the one.

I've also never had a grammar nazi on here pick me up on it either, nor have I seen one pick someone up on it when posting their CV and the like for critique.

Associate
Same here, was always taught to put one after a comma, two after the end of a sentence and three at the start of a new paragraph. Probably would've been my A level computing teacher in about 1990 that taught us that.

Soldato
I've got to say having two spaces after a full stop is news to me. I'm not saying Word grammar checker is the be all and end all but in all my years of doing coursework and general document typing I've never been corrected for just using the one.

That's because, as I outlined earlier in the thread, the number of spaces required after a full stop is user-set in the Spelling & Grammar options in Word. :)

Caporegime
And where was your "proof" that it is personal preference?

My "proof" is how I've been taught through various institutions.

Maybe I just paid attention during my education and you didn't?

Read this article, you might learn something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_spacing_at_the_end_of_sentences

Oh and just in case you're struggling -

[edit] General preferences
Four main preferences exist today:

Some authors believe that text using double-spaces between sentences is more readable than text written with only one space after the period.[13][28][29][30]
Some authors believe that proportionally spaced fonts have made double-spacing redundant, and that it should only be used in a monospaced (nonproportional) font.[31] The argument here is that double-spacing was an attempt in a monospaced font to create the effect of proportional fonts' spaces, and that the ready availability now of proportional fonts renders a double-space redundant. However, the width of spacing in a proportional font width is nearly always narrower than an em space. This argument is supported by renowned typographer, Ben Worrall. When questioned about the practice of double spacing, he replied: "It makes me physically sick."[32]
Some authors (particularly professional designers or typographers) believe that double-spacing creates an unappealing appearance.[18][33][34]
Some authors believe best practice is dependent on the particular typeface being used.[35]

Soldato
Good post.

I was taught touch typing and the 'standard' was two spaces, after a full stop, but we alos used monospaced Courier at 10pt. Generally now, with proportional typefaces, one space seems to be the preferred method. I still do 2 after a stop though...

Soldato
On a side note, the Welsh Books Council are trying to get us to insert spaces before ellipses. Makes a mess of the flow when they start on a new line. We tend to ignore their suggestion.

Soldato
Three? Two? WTF?

I always use one.
I was told by my father to use two. So when I showed off that I did that to my English teacher I was rebuked and told to only use on. I think the idea of two spaces after a fullstop originates in the days of typewriters when two spaces made it easier to read text. However with word processors one space is OK. Three is just mental though. :confused:

Soldato
To be fair I have never been taught to type, we didn't use computers much at school. To be honest though, one space seems enough to me and I will continue to only use one space, despite some people saying I'm wrong. :p

Soldato
Two spaces looks plain wrong.
3 spaces will look hideous.
Why are they asking for 3?
My view is that 2 spaces on a PC type document is outdated. Maybe fine in the old typewriter world.

**Edit.
Just a thought, but by dissertation do you mean that there may be thousands of words, lots of pages of plain text? 3 spaces may make it easier on the reader to see grammar and punctuation, and make the reading easier on the eye.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom