Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (Fury Road prequel)

Caporegime
It's hard for me to see how you can make a Mad Max film these days without a lot of CGI. It's abundant in pretty much every action and fantasy film these days, especially anything that's post-apocalyptic and dystopian.

It does look a little too polished in certain scenes, but certainly not to the extent that it looks terrible. Hopefully they can tone down the shine before release.

Last edited:
Soldato
It should be a 9/10 movie.

Really annoying to have some person playing a flame throwing guitar with a ton of speakers behind them while on a moving truck though.
It looks as contrived, like the director said oh wait I know, lets just put some guy on there doing that. It wont look super awkward and fake, i promise.

Last edited:
Associate
That....doesnt look good...so much CGI in it and it looked pretty terrible.

Probably still grading a lot of the footage. The turnover for CGI these days is so quick that's it's often done before the raw footage is in for edit. They'll shove anything in to fill out the trailers.

Trust the process and the Director I say, not some half baked trailer greenlit by the studio. Miller has that right, more so then any other Director imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
9/11 was an inside job? Or is your vague response your entire point?
It wasn't a vague response. That you think it was is probably why you also completely failed to understand the central theme of Fury Road.

To put it simply, the entire film is built on the destruction caused by toxic masculinity. "who destroyed the world?" men did. Furiosa, femininity, motherhood, maternity, female empowerment... How the **** did you miss it?!

Last edited:
Associate
It wasn't a vague response. That you think it was is probably why you also completely failed to understand the central theme of Fury Road.

To put it simply, the entire film is built on the destruction caused by toxic masculinity. "who destroyed the world?" men did. Furiosa, femininity, motherhood, maternity, female empowerment... How the **** did you miss it?!
lol, where did I miss that? You incorrectly drew a conclusion because it fit your mental state.

My earlier point had nothing to do with the plot but around movies forcing a poorly made narrative at the expense of the movie plot. I literally made the point that Charlize was a great example of how to portray a strong female lead without turning it into some in-you-face statement.

Last edited:
Soldato

The director disagrees

Miller described the film's key theme as survival,

Your feminism spiel isn't entirely accurate. But I guess that could be personal interpretation.

Last edited:
Yeah because 2008 Indiana Jones was soooo good :cry:

Have never watched a movie thinking it was a school lesson.

I agree with you that 2008 (Crystal Skulls) was dreadful!

Fury Road is basically the best action movie ever made so this has some tough act to follow. Trailer looks good though.

Struggling to remember a single film that was a "lesson about gender politics, pronouns etc"

The Doctor Who thread sums it up, not just on Doctor Who but in general, 2019-present.

Fury Road was amazing so I just hope that politics can stay out of the new release. It's just I'm not 100% hopeful in today's climate.

Soldato
Unfortunately very true - a lot of movies get ruined because they focus on sending some half-baked message instead of making the movies decent.

I'm hoping they do the Furiosa character justice and not focus it around some weak female empowerment plot. Charlize in Fury Road was an excellent strong female lead without any forced narrative.

I would assume George Miller's idea for Furiosa will be entirely strong female character rather than female empowerment - I'm not sure Aussies have quite got to the levels we have here and the US. Whether it gets passed the suits intacted remains to be seen perhaps.

I hadn't quite realised the issues over Fury Road had been resolved - a row between Miller and the film company regarding overspend I think. I did read one or two of the vehicles lasted a couple of hours before needing new transmissions/engines etc.

Shame there's no Max but Mad Max Wasteland is already green lit - again, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Soldato

Really annoying to have some person playing a flame throwing guitar with a ton of speakers behind them while on a moving truck though.
It looks as contrived, like the director said oh wait I know, lets just put some guy on there doing that. It wont look super awkward and fake, i promise.
:p

Associate
I hadn't quite realised the issues over Fury Road had been resolved - a row between Miller and the film company regarding overspend I think. I did read one or two of the vehicles lasted a couple of hours before needing new transmissions/engines etc.

There where a ton of issues, some of which are still hanging around in the courts I believe. Reshoots that weren't greenlit by the studios, whole scenes straying from that of the original screenplay presented to Warner execs, some of which led the film to an R-rating instead of the originally agreed PG-13. There where even certain unsubstantiated rumor's that Miller and his team kept shooting even when execs wanted to pull them out, full guerilla filmmaking style.

It's all twaddle of course, especially considering the film supposedly came in underbudget (according to Miller, at least).

It's a great example of neither side getting what they want but the end product being far better for it. The creatives need the suits to rein them in and the suits need the creatives to make bold decisions. It's a delicate balancing act and the symbiotic nature of those sorts of relationships has ultimately led to some incredible filmmaking. Rarely does anything good come of one side having more power then the other. David Lynch is the only true 'auteur' filmmaker who benefits from being creatively untethered, but that's only because he's so outlandishly un-conventional with a set in stone fanbase.

Edit: Oh, and Paul Thomas Anderson.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably still grading a lot of the footage. The turnover for CGI these days is so quick that's it's often done before the raw footage is in for edit. They'll shove anything in to fill out the trailers.

Trust the process and the Director I say, not some half baked trailer greenlit by the studio. Miller has that right, more so then any other Director imo.
Won't matter so much, theirs LOTS of clear green screen as well, Fury Road would have looked amazing without the CGI, the "floating" driving wrecks look pretty awful, as did her "arm" at the end.
Hell even the bullet casings look like its added cgi ffs. Theirs is a mammoth in different with CGI adding elements and having to create the entire scene.

Also Anya does not look a good casting, Theron brought an intensity to the character and having her mysterious past was more "fun" for the film. Anya looks like a desert storm would carry her away to her death lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh but we just had a film about her :/
Maybe so, but i still think knowing more about her backstory could make a decent film. As others have said, unfortunately i don't particularly like the casting but she seem to be the 'hot' thing in Hollywood currently (I thought she was the weakest part of The Northman for example)

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Huh? That wasn’t fake per se, they just filmed how I usually get from A to B and superimposed it.

Man of Honour
Yes.

Don’t get me wrong. I did enjoy the film but does she really need a prequel?

Can she carry a film solo? If this doesn’t go well it will impact any future films.

In which case it sounds like ‘too much’ rather than ‘too soon’.

I generally dislike prequels (no threat, often a ‘spot the reference’ or ‘retelling of plot points the audience knows*’) and have no overwhelming fondness for the character, so likewise I’m not really sure why they’d go with this route for the new film.

*so much of the hobbit films is dedicated to ‘oooo there is a mysterious big baddy on the way’ and it’s like, yeah, I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom