Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (Fury Road prequel)

Associate
Yes.

Don’t get me wrong. I did enjoy the film but does she really need a prequel?

Can she carry a film solo? If this doesn’t go well it will impact any future films.
I think the story has potential, especially if it ties in with a proper Max film, but I don't think they picked the right actress - will have to wait and see.

Caporegime
I'm generally not keen on prequels for the 'we know the future' aspect of it either. But then it's not like Fury Road was a particularly deep film so knowing a few characters are still alive might not ruin it much.

Soldato
I can't see this ruining Fury Road, but I think the concern would be that, as we already know she's alive and with a mechanical arm by Fury Road, alongside Immortan Joe (who is also in this prequel), there's absolutely no "threat" to her (or Joe) at all in this film, as there is literally no way she can die or be permanently hurt in any other way than we've already seen, which just leaves "how" certain events happen rather than "woah I didn't see that coming" etc.

I mean if 2 of the the main characters are effectively immune to death, if there's no potential risk in their story etc to me that makes them less interesting from a story telling point I think. I would suggest that it also probably means the "risk" in the story will have to be held around the only other main character, Hemsworth's "Dementus" as minor/side characters aren't all that important, which again narrows down creative choices.

Soldato
Watched Jeremy Jahn's review on YT, seems OK-ish with Chris Hemsworth being the outright best character in it whilst ATJ hardly says anything and isn't even in it for the first hour. He also complains about the obvious (low effort) CGI ruining a few parts too compared to the "CGI to enhance" of the first film.

Soldato
Yes.

Don’t get me wrong. I did enjoy the film but does she really need a prequel?

Can she carry a film solo? If this doesn’t go well it will impact any future films.
Annnddd

Soldato
My reaction is, meh. It was ok, felt a little too long overall and the first part with young Furiosa was way too long. There was only 1 scene in the entire movie that I thought was pretty cool and it lasted about 20 seconds. You can probably guess which one if you've seen it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spoiler it for me ? :p

I liked the Truck attack with "pissboy" and the fat little Rtard kid but tbh that had been done much better before.

But i 100% agree it felt it was a bit of a re-do of a much superior film, Its 100% OK but its not "new" feeling now.

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe 7/10, was fun seeing Chris act as an aussie loon but Anya felt miscast for the main roll. Story was so nothing really. Half way through was just waiting for it to end to go home

Caporegime
I'd like to see this in the cinema, since I loved Fury Word, but the only showing in English nearby (and I detest watching dubbed movies) is on a Sunday at 8pm in a city 45 minutes drive away. Not really sure I want to see it that much. Hmm.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I'd like to see this in the cinema, since I loved Fury Word, but the only showing in English nearby (and I detest watching dubbed movies) is on a Sunday at 8pm in a city 45 minutes drive away. Not really sure I want to see it that much. Hmm.

Just back from the cinema and it was pretty good. Thought the story for Furiosa was interesting enough. It was a good build up with some crazy scenes. It was better than Fury Road in some parts imo. Overall 8/10 for me.

If you like Fury Road you should like this one. 45 mins is worth the price imo. I do almost 100 miles round trip for movies.

Associate
Just got back. Absolutely loved every second of it.

Comparing it to Fury Road, a once in a generation masterclass that's had 9 years to mature in the minds of the people who adore it is completely unfair.
It probably isn't as visually astute, nor as narratively 'clean', but it's such a clear cut representation of that world Millers been trying to sell us on for 45 years. Its just brilliant filmmaking and I pray he gives us as many more of these movies as he feels capable of making.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom