Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (Fury Road prequel)

Soldato
I think your right, cinema viewers just look at these sort of films as cash grabs now a days. I think it would need to be special to get people out to see it based on other people’s reviews (and not critics as well).

Similar with the new Apes film, not a complete disaster, but will struggle to break even I suspect.

A decade on and while potentially a good movie, one I wouldn't have been overly interested in even if the Fury Road hype was still there. I struggle to become invested in prequels, don't get me wrong there are some I've very much enjoyed, but I think the experience is marred by the fact you ultimately know what is going to happen.

I'd have been much more inclined to see a sequel that continued the series or a totally separate story within the world, but for this I'll wait until I can watch it on my couch in a few months, it just comes across as an unnecessary addition to the franchise.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand how there so much negativity with this movie. Yes it was far from perfect but which one was in the past?? I thoroughly enjoyed this and thought it complimented Fury Road really well.
The previous movie is widely regarded as one if the best movies (in its genre) of the past couple of decades, Furiosa is just an slighty below average movie that wasn't needed, or wanted. I'm sure most people wanted it be of the same standard as Fury Road.

Last edited:
Commissario
I'll probably wait for streaming but it's got pretty good reviews, clearly above average. Falling short of one of the best movies in the genre is no shame.
Exactly.

I would rate it easily as above average, but when you're going into it remembering one of the best and knowing it's related it's going to be hard to hold it up unless it's at least as good.
I've already got it ordered for BD as I can see myself doing a Furiosa/Fury Road double with ease.

I do wonder a bit how much of the lower cinema take from recent films is because people have got used to waiting for streaming, combined with what seems like ever increasing costs to see them in the cinema whilst at the same time the disposable cash people have has been going down. Even some of the really serious film fans I know have cut their visits down a lot, as even with something like the "limitless" the costs of going have gone up.
My visits to the cinema have dropped massively since covid, initially because of Covid, but now partly because the cost has sky rocketed - in part because the local Odeon stopped their "gallery" service so getting the "best" seats in the Imax is now something like £20 per seat and if you want any food or drinks you can easily pay an extra £15 (effectively it's nearly doubled for the same stuff).

Soldato

Even after 3 weeks at the BO, Furiosa hasn't been able to claw back any viewers as Garfield has now made about $50m more globally, and I really just don't "get" why Furiosa has done THIS poorly.

I mean I didn't expect it to be a billion dollar in any way, but I was still expecting it peak at around $300m at a guess, and yet it made less than $470 per cinema per day in its 3rd weekend weekend, which at an average of $10 a ticket means thats just 47 people per theatre per day watched this film (and there's usually 3 shows per day so about 15 people per showing), and thats absolutely stunning for a film which isn't "bad" in any way. It's not like people are even staying away from cinemas either, other than Garfield we've just seen Bad Boys 4 released and it made double what Furiosa made in its first weekend - so people are still willing to pay to see things in cinemas but, for some "missing X-Factor" reason, just not on this.

For comparison, an kids animated film made $840 per theatre per day, which is what I'd expected a Garfield film to be making by this point.

Furiosa - $146m over 21 days - https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Furiosa-A-Mad-Max-Saga-(2024)#tab=box-office

Garfield - $195m over 21 days - https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Garfield-Movie-The-(2024)#tab=box-office

Man of Honour
^ I saw a comment on wiki along the lines of “movie theatres / non-‘event’ films need momentum of good film after good film to secure crowds… and Furiosa released without anything propping up momentum over the last few months” - that sounds about right.

Soldato
I don't understand how there so much negativity with this movie. Yes it was far from perfect but which one was in the past?? I thoroughly enjoyed this and thought it complimented Fury Road really well.
I don’t see much negativity. Just no one turned up to watch it.

Most reviewers I enjoy watching said they thought the film was decent.

Furiosa Was simply a hard sell.

What's the deal with the Stafford Odeon not showing Furiousa on some days of the week? It's been out for a month, so it got a couple of weeks left and it's not been offered on any of the days that I've been meaning to go, most noticedly on a Friday. It's been like this throughout June, and this week not even a sniff of it. Has it been pulled already or will it be a slow burner like with Wonka?

Soldato
What's the deal with the Stafford Odeon not showing Furiousa on some days of the week? It's been out for a month, so it got a couple of weeks left and it's not been offered on any of the days that I've been meaning to go, most noticedly on a Friday. It's been like this throughout June, and this week not even a sniff of it. Has it been pulled already or will it be a slow burner like with Wonka?
Might be out of luck now as you can now hire or buy this now :cool:

Soldato
It's 6 screens. Don't know if that's normal or low for an Odeon. Most entries at the moment are Inside Out 2, Bad Boys and the Bikeriders.

Furiosa has been out for around a month now, Inside Out 2 & Bad Boys for 2 weeks and Bikeriders came out last weekend. With the online release around the corner if it's not selling seats well enough they'll remove it from showing for something that is generating money.

Soldato
Watched it today (finally came out online)
Apart from eye candy and the score it was pretty meh to me enjoyed the first better (of the "reboot") not the original.

Soldato
Yeah gonna watch it again, but my initial impressions were it was slightly above average, but it didn't really bring anything to the franchise or add anything to its story. It was largely irrelevant. Best bit for me was the cameo, and that lasted a whole 5 seconds at most.

Back
Top Bottom