Fury - Wilder thread

Don
That result pretty much tells me that boxing skill is worth nothing , a few bombs which don't even lead to a KO split the decision
The knock downs mean a 10-8 round. It only takes Wilder pinching 3 of the other 10 for it to be a draw. As above, I thought Fury won it but a draw isn't the maddest outcome even if the individual scorecards were.

Soldato
When you fight like Fury does I.e not looking for a knockout you need to make sure you win every every round clearly. Mayweather did this Fury clearly didn’t so you always run the risk of not getting the result.

Decent fight and Fury gone up in my estimations.

Soldato
There has been tons of dodgy decisions in boxing in the past and there will be in the future don’t think I can be surprised by it anymore!

When a guy gets knocked down twice you don’t need many other dodgy rounds to swing the result as that’s a 4 point swing.

Soldato
Fury won the technical boxing match but Wilder won the war. It’s late don’t know the phrase.

I had fury winning but not a robbery by any stretch. Lots of rounds were close with wilder missing a lot but was the aggressor on home soil.

That last round, what a knockdown and how the hell did he get up! Madness

Caporegime
When you fight like Fury does I.e not looking for a knockout you need to make sure you win every every round clearly. Mayweather did this Fury clearly didn’t so you always run the risk of not getting the result.

Decent fight and Fury gone up in my estimations.

Yep, I think pre midlife crisis Fury would have closed a couple more rounds out.

He can’t have been operating at 100% tonight after what he did to his body, and the two crap comeback fights he’s had. Even if he does improve though Wilder is going to be confident he can land a blow that Fury won’t be able to get up from.

Soldato
Call me ignorant, but whether Wilder got schooled or not, he's the one that put Fury to the canvas not once but twice, and fury didn't get close to putting Wilder down. How does that not make Wilder the winner, or, the better fighter?

Soldato
As much as I wanted Fury to lose because I think he's a ghastly person, he did outbox Wilder - and I think it's true that apart from that big right hand, Wilder doesn't have much else. How on earth Fury got up after that late knockdown I have no idea, that was a serious knockdown.

That said, I think AJ would convincingly beat both of them.

Call me ignorant, but whether Wilder got schooled or not, he's the one that put Fury to the canvas not once but twice, and fury didn't get close to putting Wilder down. How does that not make Wilder the winner, or, the better fighter?

Knocking someone down makes it a 10-8 round, but Fury did win most of the other rounds - so the two knockdowns basically let Wilder scrape to a draw.

Don
Reminds me of the Lewis vs Holyfield draw, just another load of rubbish. Fight should have been on neutral ground to stop the home boy judging
That'll never happen though because boxing is a business and hosting the event at a neutral venue won't make the money that it does in the US or to a lesser extent the UK.
Yep, I think pre midlife crisis Fury would have closed a couple more rounds out.

He can’t have been operating at 100% tonight after what he did to his body, and the two crap comeback fights he’s had. Even if he does improve though Wilder is going to be confident he can land a blow that Fury won’t be able to get up from.

The rematch will be really interesting. On one hand Fury should be in better condition physically but equally it's hard to see how Fury can fight a better fight from a technical point of view and just as hard for Wilder to get it so wrong.

Soldato

Because boxing is/should be judged on 12 rounds, not two incidents.

Fury schooled Wilder the whole match and outboxed him.

Caporegime
I get all that regarding the scoring, but imo, boxing is about being to knock someone to the canvas if not knocked completely out, and that's what Wilder did and Fury didn't. :p

Your bias has been clear throughout and it’s a good thing boxing isn’t based on your opinion :)

On another note that was likely the best heavyweight fight in the past 10 years, hopefully it keeps up.

Caporegime
In a way I guess it's a signal to boxers that they need to fight rather than just be 'technical' to be sure of victory, something I don't have a problem with because 12 rounds of dodging and jabbing is dull.

Soldato
Your bias has been clear throughout and it’s a good thing boxing isn’t based on your opinion :)

On another note that was likely the best heavyweight fight in the past 10 years, hopefully it keeps up.

Oh, I wanted Fury to win. Definitely not biased towards Wilder, I think he's a moron. But, it's just the way I see boxing.

Soldato
Hopefully ppl now jump off the Wilder bandwagon, he was exposed for what he is, all power with nothing else. He did well to still have any power by the end considering how tired he was, and Fury did well to get up and not throw that fight away completely. AJ beats both these on the same night, he is on a different level to these two but Eddie Hearns plans of the Wilder fight go up in smoke. AJ's April fight is now pretty much confirmed as the winner of Whyte Chisora.

Transmission breaker
Don

You really need to watch the fight. Wilder got lucky. Luck is part of it, it always is, but he was out-classed by a boxer who has come back from near oblivion and lost 10 stone, with only 2 (VERY easy) tune ups under his belt.

A rematch is a total gamble for Wilder. It has to be in the UK, and I have Wilder losing against a prime Fury.

Agreed that AJ beats both these guys on the form tonight.

Back
Top Bottom