1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fury - Wilder thread

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by koolpc, Nov 28, 2018.

1. TheOracle

Capodecina

That is one of the best videos/interviews I've seen in a long time

2. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

You have watched an edited version of the fight then ?
    a version that can be edited to look however the editor intends it to look.

as others have said go and watch the full fight.

3. rubberduck

Mobster

Can't believe some people are still claiming Fury is the victor and making him out to be the heavyweight incarnation of Mayweather. Lets look at the stats, Fury landed 84 punches in the fight compared to Wilder's 71... Wilder threw 430 punches compared to Fury's 327... Are you seriously telling me that someone who landed, on average 1 punch more than his opponent per round, who was significantly less active than his opponent, and got dumped on his arse twice, has done enough to rip the belt away from the champion? I think too many people were watching the fight through the mouths of the commentators.

4. tracertong

Wise Guy

Jesus wept.

5. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

Wow, I didn't know the utterly clueless Mexican judge was a member of the forums.

6. jigger

Capodecina

Fury won most of the exchanges. Fury made Wielder miss more shots. Fury probably won every round.

Wielder landed six or so big shots and dropped Fury twice.

Going by the rules that makes Fury the clear winner.

7. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

so based on your stats and nothing else
    Wilder landed 16% of punches thrown
    Fury landed 26% of punches thrown

And can I just remind all in this thread, the sport is "boxing" not "fighting" ;)

8. rubberduck

Mobster

Yes, so Wilder wins on workrate and aggression, wins on putting Fury down twice, yet Fury landed 13 more tippy tappy punches over the course of 12 rounds and is apparently the clear victor.

9. Doobedoo

Wise Guy

You’ll be surprised how many people fail to understand that simple fact.

10. viathinair

Wise Guy

Just rewatched the fight. "Robbery" is too far IMO. It was a "gift" for Wilder (who, mind, wasn't the official winner either). Even if Wilder lost officially I'd say a rematch is warranted and personally welcome, as I love how their styles match up in ways that aren't very apparent, even if it's boring for most.

Edit: Also, Fury is a drug cheat and he gave nothing but lies about that and it got swept under the rug, so I don't have much sympathy for him.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  11. Supr3me

Associate

If you think Fury was 'jabbing and running' then I don't know what fight you were watching pal. Fury threw more punches and had much better success ratios - I'd much rather watch someone that actually box than someone that is just standing there swinging looking for a right hand.
    As said, boxing is not all about knockouts, educate yourself.

12. jigger

Capodecina

In hockey?

13. jigger

Capodecina

He was an idiot. Not sure about a drug cheat as in performance enhancing drugs.

14. viathinair

Wise Guy

15. MassiveJim

Wise Guy

By your logic if I were to throw 50 punches in the air and not land one, and the other person didn't throw any, I am the winner ?
    because of work rate ?
    mmmmm,kay

So here is one more statistic for you.
    According to this site
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other...tes-among-worlds-top-seven-heavyweight-boxers

These are the average percentage of punches landed for the top heavyweights
    TOTAL CONNECTION CONNECTION %
    Wilder 42.8%
    Miller 34.7%
    Joshua 34.6%
    Whyte 30.3%
    Pulev 27.6%
    Fury 25.5%
    Parker 23.6%

See how Wilder is at the top with nearly 43% ?

I will leave you to come up with your next ridiculous argument now
    And I probably won't reply because i refuse to be Rubber Duck'ed ;)

16. jigger

Capodecina

17. viathinair

Wise Guy

At the top of that article: "Fury charged after testing positive for a banned steroid in 2015". It was "nandrolone", which while naturally produced by the body (like many things), can also be taken as an anabolic steroid. His body had unnaturally high levels of it, he failed a drugs test and was suspended, and the lies and coverups lead me to believe that he took it as an anabolic steroid.

18. BaZ87

Don

No, the failed test was for nandrolone. Iirc his defence at the time was it was a result of eating wild boar.

19. viathinair

Wise Guy

I was following it at the time. I don't have proof, but in some interviews they didn't stand firm on the wild boar excuse, and then they dropped it in favour of pushing the mental health angle, so I think the wild boar thing was a lie.

20. Col.Mustard

Perma Banned

Had the fight happened in the UK under the same circumstances and actions, Fury would have took the belt . He's never going to be everyone's favourite but he's done what he has set out to do . He's no stylist and is completely unorthodox but he does have a good chin . If and when the AJ fight takes place the bookies are going to be scratching their heads over odds . Has AJ got Wilders power ? can Fury knock over guys at this level ?