• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Agree with Roff, do not believe its G-Sync specific. I got it on my devices in the banner clip with the tank. On my phone, iPad and G-Sync panel which is entirely different to the one mentioned here.

The stuttering definitely isn't entirely Gsync specific...but I personally don't think Gsync is working completely correctly across the board with Creator Updates and recent Nvidia drivers. I noticed some very slight, sporadic tearing - with GSync on - in certain titles. I can't totally remember what I was using for testing at the time...possibly either Tomb Raider 2013 or Rise of The Tomb Raider.

Agreed, it's far more mysterious.

I'm not running creators update either so no game mode toggle anyway.. for what it's worth.

Have you tried DDU, and then the 378.92 drivers yet? I was still experiencing stutters and drops with any of the more recent drivers - even on Windows 10 1607.

Soldato
The stuttering definitely isn't entirely Gsync specific...but I personally don't think Gsync is working completely correctly across the board with Creator Updates and recent Nvidia drivers. I noticed some very slight, sporadic tearing - with GSync on - in certain titles. I can't totally remember what I was using for testing at the time...possibly either Tomb Raider 2013 or Rise of The Tomb Raider.

Have you tried DDU, and then the 378.92 drivers yet? I was still experiencing stutters and drops with any of the more recent drivers - even on Windows 10 1607.

Ahhh, I don't even have windows 10 creator update installed and running slightly older drivers in form of 384.76.

I would say however check your V-Sync settings. Personally I found after a driver update, amusingly when coming back to playing Rise of the tomb raider, I was getting tearing all over the place which was puzzling. Went into Nvidia control panel, G-Sync was enabled, turn Global V-Sync on and in game V-Sync to off and got rid of tearing for me. Doubt it will work, but worth a shot.

Associate
Ahhh, I don't even have windows 10 creator update installed and running slightly older drivers in form of 384.76.

I would say however check your V-Sync settings. Personally I found after a driver update, amusingly when coming back to playing Rise of the tomb raider, I was getting tearing all over the place which was puzzling. Went into Nvidia control panel, G-Sync was enabled, turn Global V-Sync on and in game V-Sync to off and got rid of tearing for me. Doubt it will work, but worth a shot.

It's a strange one. I definitely had Gsync enabled and global Vsync on (as well as Vsync off ingame). And tested quite a bit with a fresh install of Creators Update, before trying a fresh install of 1607. My experience was pretty much this:

- Creators Update (regardless of Game Mode on/off) and last few sets of drivers - sporadic tearing, and random stuttering/juddering across a range of titles. Reasonably subtle in something like Doom (Vulkan)...but terrible in Rise of The Tomb Raider (especially in DX12) and Rocket League.

- 1607 and any driver more recent than 378.92 - fixed the tearing issues, and less frequent/serious stuttering...but still some random stuttering and frame rate dips.

- 1607 and 378.92 - what I'm using at the moment - absolutely fine.

So yeah, while I'm pleased to have gotten to the bottom of it in my case, it feels like a slightly temporary victory. I'm deferring the update in Windows 10 Pro and hiding the Creators Update itself...but I have little doubt it'll become mandatory in the not-so-distant future. Meanwhile, even the newest 385.12 drivers don't appear to offer a fix for this (although I haven't tried these yet myself).

Soldato
It's a strange one. I definitely had Gsync enabled and global Vsync on (as well as Vsync off ingame). And tested quite a bit with a fresh install of Creators Update, before trying a fresh install of 1607. My experience was pretty much this:

- Creators Update (regardless of Game Mode on/off) and last few sets of drivers - sporadic tearing, and random stuttering/juddering across a range of titles. Reasonably subtle in something like Doom (Vulkan)...but terrible in Rise of The Tomb Raider (especially in DX12) and Rocket League.

- 1607 and any driver more recent than 378.92 - fixed the tearing issues, and less frequent/serious stuttering...but still some random stuttering and frame rate dips.

- 1607 and 378.92 - what I'm using at the moment - absolutely fine.

So yeah, while I'm pleased to have gotten to the bottom of it in my case, it feels like a slightly temporary victory. I'm deferring the update in Windows 10 Pro and hiding the Creators Update itself...but I have little doubt it'll become mandatory in the not-so-distant future. Meanwhile, even the newest 385.12 drivers don't appear to offer a fix for this (although I haven't tried these yet myself).

Have you tried creating a thread on the Nvidia forums or filing a bug report?

Man of Honour
It should say "Gsync mode" not "normal mode". Can you post a screenshot of the Gsync section in the Nvidia control panel please?

Also, please enable the Gsync indicator and launch a game, you should should see "Gsync on" in the top left corner. Here's how to enable it: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/

Depends on a few thing including whether G-Sync is set for Fullscreen only or Windowed and Fullscreen modes - also for some reason on some Windows 10 updates it will only show Normal mode when on the desktop even though G-Sync is set and working in both Windowed and Fullscreen or Fullscreen modes but changes to G-Sync mode when you enter a game.

It should always show G-Sync when in a fullscreen game if any form of G-Sync is enabled but the behaviour of the indicator when on the desktop is a bit hit and miss.

Soldato
Depends on a few thing including whether G-Sync is set for Fullscreen only or Windowed and Fullscreen modes - also for some reason on some Windows 10 updates it will only show Normal mode when on the desktop even though G-Sync is set and working in both Windowed and Fullscreen or Fullscreen modes but changes to G-Sync mode when you enter a game.

It should always show G-Sync when in a fullscreen game if any form of G-Sync is enabled but the behaviour of the indicator when on the desktop is a bit hit and miss.
I meant the OSD should show "Gsync Mode". The Nvidia Gsync indicator, which is a separate thing, never appears on the desktop as far as I'm aware. I was then suggesting they launch a game with the indicator enabled to see whether that shows up. The monitor obviously thinks Gsync is off due to the OSD saying that it is in normal mode, if the indicator says Gsync is on in a game then Nvidia's driver would disagree.

Man of Honour
Yeah I'm talking about the OSD - the behaviour of it can be a bit sporadic for some reason especially with more recent Windows 10 updates - sometimes showing Normal mode on the desktop even though G-Sync is enabled and working and then changing to showing G-Sync when in game.

On my Windows 7 install at the moment it permanently shows G-Sync when its enabled regardless of settings and activity.

Soldato
Yeah I'm talking about the OSD - the behaviour of it can be a bit sporadic for some reason especially with more recent Windows 10 updates - sometimes showing Normal mode on the desktop even though G-Sync is enabled and working and then changing to showing G-Sync when in game.

On my Windows 7 install at the moment it permanently shows G-Sync when its enabled regardless of settings and activity.
Gsync has been misbehaving since the Creators update for me too. I've worked around it by disabling game mode (which didn't do anything for me) and game bar.

Sometimes I disable full screen optimisations in the compatibility section for an exe and that might stop Windows from trying to permanently disable my colour profile too. It's very annoying that Microsoft have broken these things in an OS update that was supposed to improve the gaming experience.

Associate
i have Dell 2716DG and 1080 don't have any judder, strange. then again i am still on win7 and on kinda old drivers for the moment .

Even ignoring this particular issue with Creators Update, somewhat ridiculously, I think Windows 7 is actually supposed to be a fair bit better than Windows 10 in terms of frame times and latency. I haven't used Windows 7 for a few years now...but I remember seeing some tests/numbers earlier this year. I did consider going back to 7 myself...DX12 has been a damp squib, anyway. But I'm using Ryzen...so it sounds like the whole process is a bit of a pain.

Back
Top Bottom