Galaxy Tab S4

Soldato
Apparently being announced tomorrow.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-S4-announcement-date_id107190

I've had my Tab S2 for a couple of years and it's a cracking little tablet, but I'll be looking out for an upgrade and the S4 might tick the box. I'm not sure if the 10" screen size will suit me as I tried an iPad Pro and ended up giving it to the wife as I just couldn't get on with it, but that may have been the Apple software more than anything else. I also think the iPad Pro is a bit heavy in the hand, so hopefully Samsung have managed to strike a better balance.

Soldato
It'll be massively overpriced mate.

The pricing of android tablets is a right mess and Samsung sadly are at the top of the pile for the price/performance you get vs an ipad. Sadly the latter are useless for obvious reasons if you want to playback your own movies/music/content.

My secondary tablet is a Samsung Tab S8.4. A great bit of kit for films (useless for games due to its gpu) and I bought it a few years ago for about £280. Even that was expensive back then compared to a better performing ipad.

Associate
We are still using Tab S, 8.4s and a 10.5. Still great apart from the battery quality/calibration which is poor on all 3 of them and has been pretty much from the start. I've got fed up with having to remove the batteries every couple of months to recalibrate them. Capacity on the 10.5 drops to around 5400mAh after a couple of months and goes to 7600mAh after recalibration and both 8.4's are slightly better with both dropping to around 4000mAh also after a couple of months then back up to around 4700mAh after calibration. This is despite Samsung replacing the batteries on 2 of them under warranty.

I think it must be a hardware problem with just those series of Tablets as the Tab A I have hasn't needed recalibrating after a years use, just a pity the screen is average.

We get a lot of use out of our tablets as I can no longer handle newspapers or magazines due to a severe allergy to an ingredient in some printing inks. The savings on the newspaper subscription alone has more than paid for all the Tablets within 18 months plus the bonus of being able to get magazines for free from my local Library.

Soldato
OP
@Kainz yea, I'm ruling it out. It's a bit disappointing as my Tab S2 is running Nougat and that won't be upgraded now. Using it in tandem with my Pixel 2 XL (Android 9) is getting a bit annoying as I'd like a uniform system between devices.

Associate
I was considering the S4 as an upgrade to my mothers ageing Tab S 10.5, but the price and low specs have made me think otherwise.
Anybody have any other recommendations for a decent, well specced 10" tab please?

Soldato
I actually just looked at an iPad, shudder the thought. £409 gets you a 9.7" 128GB Wifi monster - of course it isn't android but you can't deny that Apple absolutely has the market to itself. I'll likely buy one for my father at some point as he spends so much time on YouTube with his Moto G4.

As for Android alternatives, there is that Xiaomi Mi-Pad tablet but it is only available on import.

Permabanned
Thought about but then looked at the price, no way.

SD835 and 4GB of RAM for a tablet targeted at productivity in 2018? It's using Samsung UI so loads of bloat. It's going to run out memory and apps will reload.

It's a bad joke.

Associate
Debating between this an iPad or a surface go and I can't decide

Depends what you want to do I guess - when my beloved galaxy tab s 10.5 died recently I really just needed something for watching netflix, browsing the web and some light gaming. Given the price of the s3 (and now this) a £320 iPad was the clear winner. If I was creating decent amounts of content though I can't understand why you'd spend this amount of money on a tablet with a bastardised OS that really isn't up to the job.

Soldato
Depends what you want to do I guess - when my beloved galaxy tab s 10.5 died recently I really just needed something for watching netflix, browsing the web and some light gaming. Given the price of the s3 (and now this) a £320 iPad was the clear winner. If I was creating decent amounts of content though I can't understand why you'd spend this amount of money on a tablet with a bastardised OS that really isn't up to the job.

Would probably be doing the same thing, but I don't like mobile gaming (due to having a Nintendo switch I just take that with me now) so if I was gaming I'd like something a bit more substantial , thinking of another option of saving my money and when I can afford it get one of the nice 15" gaming laptops there are a couple of beasts out atm that are thin light and powerful. Not sure if I would use one of them to it's full potential and get my money's worth out of it though so I'm still unsure what to do haha

Back
Top Bottom