Games After the Witcher 3?

Soldato
All of the above & Dragon Age: Inquisition. Horizons, while I found it a little slow at the start once it gets going.... for me one of the best stories in any game I've played.

I'm near the end of Horizon Frozen wilds, honestly one of the best games I've played in my life, put over a hundred hours into it so far. I know people don't really class it as an 'RPG' as such, and as someone that has never really played RPG's this game has got me itching to play something that has a step up in RPG mechanics now, So I'm thinking of grabbing the Witcher 3, before I think I would've found it a bit too intimidating but Horizon has kinda gave me a bit of confidence now.

Soldato
Don't know what happened with me and Horizon Zero Dawn - thought it was one of the best games I'd played in recent times, then got right up to the last hour of gameplay and couldn't be arsed anymore. Just got really bored of the gameplay for some reason.

Soldato
Only game you could play to top the witcher 3 is Zelda botw , one of if not the greatest single player game I've ever played , only comes 2nd to the last of us imo.

You should look at monster Hunter though as that is epic ! My ps4 has been gathering dust since the switch came out until this game :D

emu

emu

Associate
Don't know what happened with me and Horizon Zero Dawn - thought it was one of the best games I'd played in recent times, then got right up to the last hour of gameplay and couldn't be arsed anymore. Just got really bored of the gameplay for some reason.

how strange exactly the same thing happened with me. The gfxs were stunning though

Soldato
They were indeed, even towards the end the GFX bothered me too. It just felt dead, or plasticky.
It is funny, I enjoyed Horizon and finished it, but it really feels very theme parkey and made for effect, it is deep as a puddle. I am now playing Elex, game made by 30 people on 1/10th of Horizon's budget, and I am enjoying it lot more, the world and exploration is just much more interesting, quests are lot deeper, etc.

Soldato
It's probably a bit dated now but Dragon Age: Origins if you play it on the higher difficulties and invest time in learning the skills / combinations is a superb game.

Soldato
I plan to revisit Witcher 3 as it was a good game with some occasionally strong dialogues/quests but, having said that, it really is quite overrated and people tend to gloss over many of its flawed systems for whatever reason. It's not much deeper than a puddle if you look beneath all the pointless fluff, especially the padded main story with not much depth for such hype and rather mediocre gameplay.

There are no perfect games but I didn't have any problems appreciating other titles after W3. Say what you want about Horizon and AC:O but they all have their strengths, even though they're not exactly perfect games. Both look better than W3, Horizon has a more interesting premise, better combat and vastly better animations and AC:O offers complete freedom and its depiction of Egypt is leaps and bounds above W3's typical medieval fantasy world and is probably one of the most impressive looking game worlds to date. They deserve to be checked out just for those reasons. Zelda BOTW is also a great game.

If it has to be a typical RPG then Kingdom Come is probably your best bet, though it looks slightly dull so far (just like the times it depicts to be fair:p) but I'll reserve my judgement as I'm interested in the idea they went with.
If you just want to have fun with a game that has some RPG elements, is story-driven but offers lots of hilarious distractions and a bonkers combat system, then get Yakuza 0 and be done with it. Great value for money and nothing else quite like it.
If you want something more condensed but really unique and you're willing to accept it's weird, then get Nier. RPG elements, flashy combat, a mix of multiple genres, unconventional narrative, ideas unlike any other and the best OST this generation.

Soldato
Problem is, The Witcher 3, Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor are the last and best of a generation of RPG console games that were truely standalone without the need for micro transactions etc.

I have tried the alternatives to TW3 and nothing comes close unless you start going back a fair few years.

There are plenty of fun games and good RPGs but they aren't on the same level.

I realise my views aren't exactly helpful but then my console RPG gaming ended with these three and I only bother to play my re run games. Otherwise my console stays off.

I can heartily recommend the Cory Trese games on mobile play store like Heroes of Steel, Age of Pirates and Star Traders

Soldato
Another vote for Zelda BOTW. It really is worth getting a switch just for this game alone. I've put 70+ hours into it and I'm still only 50% way through it.

Back
Top Bottom