Games you mastered.

Soldato
I wouldn't say I was that good at games, getting close to 40 and my reaction times just aren't what they were, so I'm revealing in past glories.

There are probably a few games from the 8-16bit era I could have run blindfolded due to sheer repetition and the short game length.

But a more recent favourite of mine, would have to be Batman: Arkham Ayslum.
Completed it multiple times on top difficulty and got top marks in all the challanges. I spent an absurd amount of time practising combat and enjoyed every second of it.
By the end of my time with the game, I was dancing around the arenas like a ballerina and breaking bones like breadsticks. I was the Dark Knight incarnate.

I tried to follow suit with the sequals, but had no such luck, the new bells and whistles were too much for me to remember.

So which games did you invest time into and reap the rewards?

Soldato
Dark Age of Camelot, was the only game I ever actually did well in PVP solo or in a group. Every other MMO I've been complete garbage in or actively avoided PVP.

Soldato
Super Meat Boy was the last game. Completed it go 106%, and completely every level with the highest rank.

I'm not sure it was worth it yet. It was such a great but also horrible game.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Black Tiger, Outrun back when computer games were seemingly more fun due to the game-play being better rather than overlay complex "systems based on grindplay and using the word SANDBOX" to allow crap dev teams generate more overpriced content with no direction or plan.

Make a game, plan a expansion. End the game and move on to something else.

Perfect examples of this are

Grim Dawn
Gauntlet.
Baulders gate

All still highly playable.

Bad examples of this

Elite Dangerous (yes i am bitter)

Soldato
Amiga..
Kick Off 2 is probably the only game ever in my life that back in the day i would have considered myself capable of being a contender in any tournament play. I could go unbeaten for months and i played it a lot.
Speedball 2 I was "pretty good" at

But that is about it for competitive multiplayer games. My aim in most competitive games is to hold my own and be in the 50% area... I am just not a competetive player.

Xenon 2 is the only top down shooter i have been any good at (not to the level of KO2 however).

In more recent times, there was a time where I was pretty good at elite Dangerous, including CQC, however that I think was more down to my inherent advantage that very few people at the time had.... I played in VR.
Now VR is bordering on main stream, I dont play ED as much as i once did, and some of the players who still play really are exceptional, so I dont do so well in CQC any more (and I dont even bother in the main game, as I refuse to build meta PvP ships and just stay out of that side of the game.

I dont really do PvP at all any more.

in coop games I hold my own and would say I am a good team member, coop is a better fit for me as i like to play at my own pace and explore my surroundings.

Soldato
In my 30 + years of gaming, I can really only consider myself to be subjectively awesome at two games :

1)Streetfighter 2
2)Everquest

SF2 I entered a number of tournaments sponsored by the GamesMaster magazine (remember that?). One tournament I got to the final (about 200 entries) and came second. I was 15 or 16 at the time. My character of choice? Ryu

Everquest......plugged so many hours back in the day, and had my class down to a fine art. Respected as one of the top players on my server.

Associate
I think the only game I ever completely got 100% on was The Elder Scrolls; Oblivion. Including the DLC's. I had to do separate runs to get 100% though as obviously, you split to either Madness or Mania House.

Got a few games I got pretty decent at and had good achievements on, Payday 2, Vampyr, Fallout NV and Fallout 4. I kinda make a character and go hard or go home. Also invest hours of my life :rolleyes:

Soldato
Not quite the same, but i got an N64 when i was in my teens. My mate came round a few times and obviously fell in love with Golden Eye, but he kept getting handed his **** as my brother and I played it for hours.

We then didn't see him for a week or so when he turned up and casually suggested a game of Golden Eye.

It was the summer holidays and he'd raided his savings account, bought an N64 and spent a week locked in his room mastering it, he shot us from places we didn't know existed until then.

Caporegime
I got pretty much every achievement possible on Dark Souls: Remastered on Xbox One X.

That was playing Solo, with no outside help. The only previous experience I had of the game was playing the original for about an hour on Xbox 360 and only getting to the Firelink Shrine.

OK, it's hardly the same as speed-running it or completing it naked, but I felt I had somewhat mastered the game.

Soldato
Amiga..
Kick Off 2 is probably the only game ever in my life that back in the day i would have considered myself capable of being a contender in any tournament play. I could go unbeaten for months and i played it a lot.
Speedball 2 I was "pretty good" at

Yeah, I don't really PvP much anymore, but KO2 on the Amiga and to a lesser extent John Madden on the Mega Drive were pretty much my high-water mark for beating my friends into the ground at games.

I had a pretty much 100% reliable method of scoring from the kick-off (appropriately enough) in KO2 that no-one I played against could ever stop. It's possible all my friends just sucked, of course :)

Also infuriated everyone I played against with my unbeatable Houston Oilers selection on Madden. Warren Moon was my main man.

Good times! :)

In more recent days, I'm quite pleased with my PvE skills in the Dark Souls games (but I fall to pieces in PvP match-ups and only really win through luck or playing someone else equally as flustered).

I did impress my eldest by showing him (fairly effortlessly) how to get past the bits of Half-Life 2 and Bioshock he was stuck on, but mostly I "get good" at games these days when I can sink myself into the numbers and out-nerd the game mechanics.

Caporegime
James Bond Quantum of Solace on PS3, I was top of every single game online by a significant margin. I think I got 100 kills in a deathmatch classic once... :p

Bit obscure I grant you... Got all the trophies, secret trophies, and completed every in-game challenge etc, and completed it on the hardest difficulty more than once.

Not sure why I liked it so much!

I think I completed it with just a silenced pistol too, aside from missions that necessitate other weapons be used.

Went through a period of topping the team every single match on COD5 WAW as well.

Soldato
Used to get accused of cheating on CS:S a lot. Pretty hard to say you've 'mastered' a game like that but I used to be very good. Other game that I sunk a lot of hours too and got quite competent at was Dota, but I was far from 'mastering' it.

Soldato
Yeah, I don't really PvP much anymore, but KO2 on the Amiga and to a lesser extent John Madden on the Mega Drive were pretty much my high-water mark for beating my friends into the ground at games.

I had a pretty much 100% reliable method of scoring from the kick-off (appropriately enough) in KO2 that no-one I played against could ever stop. It's possible all my friends just sucked, of course :)
was that the chip it over the goal keeper direct from kick off method - it would bounce just before the keeper and bounce over him into the goal? when playing with friends we all banned that one. (against randoms, all is fair in love, war and football)

My favourite way was running just inside the box from one side of the pitch of the other, then trap the ball, turn and score, or the other one was running diagonally in from the corner of the 18 yard box and just shoot, get the timing right and it beat the keeper most times.

also for some insane reason the developers put in an "easter egg" that if you held your finger on the fire button when you conceded a penalty the keeper would save it every time. Obviously we banned that as well but was very hard to detect so mostly on good faith. I dunno if competition versions of the game had that edited out as if not would make a mockery of any game going to penalties.

happy days.

Caporegime
I'm not someone that tends to be bothered about achieving 100% on any given playthrough, so I guess there isn't any that I've truly mastered but in terms of completing them on the hardest difficulty, there are many. That said, I always like to play something on normal or medium for the first time, though it really does depend on the game. If the experience seems balanced I'll play something on the harder setting, e.g. F.E.A.R.

A couple that spring to mind are:
Far Cry (1) (the only Far Cry game as far as I'm concerned) - completed it on the hardest difficulty setting (realistic?). One of the few games where I felt checkpoints actually worked in its favour as the tension at times was considerable.

Goldeneye - completed on the toughest difficulty though, if I'm honest, I think it was as much about flukes as skill, since at the end I was just manically pressing away on the controller.

There probably are some harking back to the Atari 2600 days but I can't remember that long ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
was that the chip it over the goal keeper direct from kick off method - it would bounce just before the keeper and bounce over him into the goal? when playing with friends we all banned that one. (against randoms, all is fair in love, war and football)

My favourite way was running just inside the box from one side of the pitch of the other, then trap the ball, turn and score, or the other one was running diagonally in from the corner of the 18 yard box and just shoot, get the timing right and it beat the keeper most times.

also for some insane reason the developers put in an "easter egg" that if you held your finger on the fire button when you conceded a penalty the keeper would save it every time. Obviously we banned that as well but was very hard to detect so mostly on good faith. I dunno if competition versions of the game had that edited out as if not would make a mockery of any game going to penalties.

happy days.

No, I could never get that chip-bounce over the keeper trick to work reliably enough.

My method also used a chip'n'charge but with a bit more room for error on the length of the chip. It was basically a couple of jinks with the first two players to touch the ball, then a chip down the pitch from the edge of the centre circle aiming to land somewhere near the edge of the area and then either a banana shot from there or a diagonal jink one way and back across the keeper. I preferred the banana shot method, but some people insisted we play with banana shots off because of this trick, which took the success rate down from near enough 100% to about 75%.

This trick didn't only work from kick-off, of course, but the set-up of the players from the kick-off made it more reliable from that point whereas it was a bit harder to engineer from open play, and I had the required movements well ingrained in my muscle memory. I did have one friend who would reset the Amiga in anger every time I did it, but I was never discouraged since I made a point of counting those as victories by default :) We almost never even got to half-time when I played him...

Permabanned
Played Subspace Continuum since 2001. Somewhere in the top 100 in the world at that. Shame that's not worth anything.

I played a lot of eve online too, I'd say I mastered that.
Same for CS Source.
But I don't play those two anymore.

Soldato
I've mastered getting owned in every multiplayer game I've ever played.
Takes a lot of hours, effort and commitment but getting rinsed, truly and properly rinsed in an online game is an under appreciated skill that many of the good players under value.

Man of Honour
I've never really bothered doing the whole 100% achievement, every last trick, etc. thing - a few games I can competently play against the hardest possible content and/or fine tune high end/end game setups, etc. and I'm happy with that. One game I was stupidly good at was the original Day of Defeat - once taking down the supposedly best clan 5 v 1 single handed sadly not a level I could ever play at in other games but for some reason I just clicked with that game.

Last edited:
Associate
CS 0.8 Beta - 1.6 , Lineage 2, World of Tanks, Armored Warfare.

Now I play games sitting on my couch with controller and don't play anything competitive.

Getting good at Assassins Creed franchise. After finishing Origins I blasted through AC1/2+DLC/3+DLC and up to Black Flag now.

Back
Top Bottom