Gaming headset, Razer Kraken 7.1 V2 Vs HyperX cloud 2

Soldato
Would i be able to hear my Razer Green Switch mechanical keyboard through the open backs?
Unless listening something you hear environment's sound mostly normally.
With those copies of MX Retro extra click added switches fast hard "smashing" text writing might leak annoyingly loud trough music.
Softer writing and use of few keys (with finger mostly resting on them) in games less so.
Usage style affects noise of mechanical switches heavily.
Like you've likely noticed.

I myself have Logitech G710+ using MX Browns with factory installed o-rings to soften bottoming noise and quieter keyboard would certainly be nice.
Also with problem of uneven key cap marking illumination I'm actually just now thinking about buying Romer-G equipped G810.
Because I sure ain't going to give away big airy sound stage of open headphones.

I have a GIGABYTE GA-AB350M
Don't know if Gigabyte has any software besides standard Realtek stuff.
Certainly instead of that fancy component hype budget would habe been better spent on higher chip than low end ALC887.
(step below separate budget sound cards like Audigy Fx)

Some high end Gigabyte motherboard's come with Creative's software.
But unfortunately instead of that coming with more motherboards they're more interested of that RGB bling bling.

Soldato
I have a free code for Razer surround pro, is that any good? Still have no idea of what to get, it would be nice to have the Razer headset to match my keyboard and mouse but if it’s no good I won’t, opinions?

The Razer surround app is great - I used it for a few years until I realised most games I played already had great positional audio.

The MMX 300 at £99 is probably the best value you'll see in the UK for a long time. It's a £250+ headset. I wouldn't touch Razer's stuff. It's poor, really poor. Even for 'gaming' accessories.

Soldato
Don't get a Razer Kraken whatever you do. I bought the GF the quartz version with the cat ears because she wouldn't stop banging on about having it. I tried it out on my own setup and the sound quality was shocking compared to my Sennheiser G4ME headset. I know the Sennheiser is more expensive, but the Razer wasn't cheap at all for the quality from it. No difference from a cheap entry level headset.

Soldato
So would you reccomend the MMX 300s and then using the Razer surround for 7.1 in games like rainbow 6 when I want to know where people are exactly
Razer Surround is better than stereo speaker mix.
Also there's free Windows Sonic for Headphones.
Though from Youtube videos I've found Razer Surround is average with not that good feel of space:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-audio-software-issue.18811760/#post-31606647
And I have here AKG K702, K712, Beyerdynamic DT990 and tape keeping parts from falling HD595 Sennheiser for some high caliber binaural sound stage...

The MMX 300 at £99 is probably the best value you'll see in the UK for a long time. It's a £250+ headset.
Well, actually it's about £120 DT770 + factory attached mic.
But that ~100 price is certainly good for having mic attached to likely one of the best gaming sound stage closed headphones for not luxury price.

Soldato
If I get those should I use the 3.5 jacks or the included USB dongle thingy
There is no USB dongle.

Well, actually it's about £120 DT770 + factory attached mic.
But that ~100 price is certainly good for having mic attached to likely one of the best gaming sound stage closed headphones for not luxury price.

You can't say that it's just a £120 pair of headphones.

You're paying for the package as a whole, and the fact it has a 5 year(!) warranty.

Associate
OP
There is no USB dongle.
Would it be worth getting a budget soundcard or something similar? I'm buying such good audio quality headphones, would they be wasted if i don't get something like a soundcard to improve audio? If so could you recommend a good budget one. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-AB350m, not sure if that has good audio built in or not.

Thanks for the help

Soldato
Would it be worth getting a budget soundcard or something similar? I'm buying such good audio quality headphones, would they be wasted if i don't get something like a soundcard to improve audio? If so could you recommend a good budget one. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-AB350m, not sure if that has good audio built in or not.

Thanks for the help

While the ALC 887 will probably be fine for the MMX 300, that particular motherboard probably won't drive them loud enough for you.

So yes, you'd probably need a soundcard.

Soldato
As this is a headset, I would probably opt for a PCI based soundcard, to save some clutter, and potentially solve the issue with 7.1 audio (it may have some simulating software included).

I will have a look at some budget options and see what looks most appropriate for your situation.

• What would your budget be?
  • Do you have a spare PCI slot?

Soldato
Is the Asus Xonar DSX 7.1 any good?
DSX would be good if you had speakers or wanted DD/DTS encoding.
But for headphone gaming it lacks Dolby Headphone and is stuck with either stereo or Windows Sonic for Headphones: Which are as well usable with integrated Realteks.
Anyway for strong bass closed headphones Dolby Headphone is mediocre with its bass bloat.

Bass neutral SBX Pro Surround of Creative Audigy Fx is lot better for not drowning details under bass, avoiding also DH's extreme tendency for echo.
Besides likely having software support past 2025 while Asus might pull the plug from support of DSX any moment.
(Phoebus line even got ditched before getting to decent age)

Instead of "reinventing wheel" Audigy Fx actually uses newer version of ALC889 of this comparison:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

While the ALC 887 will probably be fine for the MMX 300, that particular motherboard probably won't drive them loud enough for you.
You got some 80% hearing loss to compensate?
Realteks drive 250 ohm DT990 well over hearing safe volumes.
And 32 ohm ones draw 8 times the current and power from same voltage with ALC887 specced for 1,2 Vrms into 32 ohms.

Soldato
You got some 80% hearing loss to compensate?
Realteks drive 250 ohm DT990 well over hearing safe volumes.
And 32 ohm ones draw 8 times the current and power from same voltage with ALC887 specced for 1,2 Vrms into 32 ohms.

Nope, perfect hearing. My motherboard doesn't drive the MMX 300 loud enough in most games at max volume. Certainly not in music.

So instead of quoting arbitrary numbers, best leave it to someone who actually OWNS the MMX 300.

Edit: Also, impedance isn't always directly related to perceived loudness.

2nd edit: My motherboard is a Z270i Strix, and at max power, rated for 600 Ohm headphones.

Last edited:
Soldato
So instead of quoting arbitrary numbers, best leave it to someone who actually OWNS the MMX 300.

Edit: Also, impedance isn't always directly related to perceived loudness.
Impedance affects to how much current and power is drawn per voltage.
And 32 ohms draws lots of current without high voltage.
While Beyerdynamic gives same SPL per mW for MMX300 and its base DT770 as for DT990.
Whose more voltage demanding 250 ohm version gets well loud enough with bottom level ALC892 in basic motherboard.

So Asus screwed up something if your gaming hype motherboard can't even drive 32 ohm cans.

Soldato
Impedance affects to how much current and power is drawn per voltage.
And 32 ohms draws lots of current without high voltage.
While Beyerdynamic gives same SPL per mW for MMX300 and its base DT770 as for DT990.
Whose more voltage demanding 250 ohm version gets well loud enough with bottom level ALC892 in basic motherboard.

So Asus screwed up something if your gaming hype motherboard can't even drive 32 ohm cans.

Or, maybe, numbers don't tell the whole story.

You cannot tell how loud something will be from its impedance. It's gives an indication, but you also need to take into account how sensitive the magnets are to electrical current.

My Asus motherboard happily powers the headphones on higher power settings, but on normal, it doesn't.

I even tried the MMX 300 with my GFs computer, which uses ALC892, and the same again.

It's not even as loud as my Pixel 2 XL using the USB C adapter.

Back
Top Bottom