Gaming on Projector

Associate
like i said the lag on my JVC X500 is horrendous, but man its fantastic for film ( much better than my x7) so i put this in
screen%20t_zpseeesrsqi.jpg

built a stage and added a remote hydraulic lift ..winner

Associate
My projector actually has really low input lag times, and I have actually played csgo on it, quite decently, it really is great, I have never noticed any tearing or anything of the sort.
I don't get the rainbow effect with DLP's but just to be safe, I went with an EPSON 3LCD projector, my model is the EPSON, TW5210, a great projector, I am using a Blackwidow "grey" screen, it's uses a paint mix with Aluminium particles in it in a 4:1 ratio so the screen is grey but reflects much more light than a standard grey screen, thereby improving contrasts, with better blacks, and equally good whites.

Associate
Also, if you have a bigger budget, you can get projectors with great contrast ratios but even on my budget one, contrast is not an issue in a dark room, and you really don't notice the fact that the blacks are a very very dark grey instead of being completely black.
This image explains the illusion you get:
e4050a598b2744bc955b2c49852b07fd.jpg

In this image you may think that the light great squares in the shadow are darker than the light grey squares that are not in the shadow. But, the light grey square marked B is actually exactly the same shade as square A.

Soldato
OP
Awesome responses guys. Hard finding one at a decent price with decent lamp life, brightness (for daytime) and low lag.

Associate
Really wouldn't worry about brightness, running at max brightness reduces lamp life by quite a lot anyway. I would just get some blackout curtains/blinds, or get some blackout liners which can be added behind your regular curtains. This should block out almost all daylight.
The Epson I have is very bright anyway compared to most projectors.

Soldato
I bought an Epson tw6100 and am more than happy with it.

Only niggle is you can install it too high or too low. and it doesn't have lens shift.

Soldato
OP
That's pretty awesome. I suppose a trade off is the ongoing spend on replacement bulbs.

I've recently been looking at OLED and wondering if holding of until that is cheaper is a better option.

Man of Honour
I've done well (so far) on bulbs - though I do tend to run in economy mode with high altitude on as I've rarely needed full brightness and the fan isn't that noisy on the projector I have. Can easily roll over the supposed lamp life that way and put another 1000 odd hours on before you start to notice it taking longer to warm up and reduced brightness output.

Permabanned
Just got my Acer Z650 ceiling mounted in the man cave, excuse the ghetto cables haven't had time to get them properly installed yet.
Mounted like this I have a perfectly sharp and centred 102 inch image of the opposite wall; framed screen will be ordered soon.
Gaming on this thing is delicious!!

received_10156372263903782.jpg

Ste

Ste

Soldato
You need to be so careful in a lit room as screens with gain that are not directional will amplify ambient light and make things worse.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
That's good. Even then though a bright projected image will reflect off the screen and light up any lighter coloured walls, causing ambient light to increase and hurting contrast.

Just be careful with gain screens - if you can control the light a 1.0 or 1.1 is probably good to go.

Back
Top Bottom