gaming slump

Soldato
guessing i'm not the only person this happens to.

currently been playing subnautica, great game and how i wish it wasnt the laggy barely functional mess it is on this laptop, or that i had my main rig to overcome these issues with a bit of blunt horsepower

also recently got sniper elite 3, i've been giving it a go but it's just not engaging me like the original did, just kinda boring for some reason.

final option is borderlands, i've been playing bl2 to death for the past few months and i picked up the pre sequel in the steam sale there, but somehow i can't bring myself to start it even though i know it'll be fun.

so, what do you do when this happens? should i just force myself to concede that i'm not going to get any further in subnautica on this machine, and force myself to play bltps until i get hooked into that?

Soldato
Go watch some movies, play Dungeons & Dragons, take the dogs for a walk, get some sleep, hang out with friends, play music, read some books, service the car..... or even - Talk to the wife!!

As above, just play whenever you feel like it and don't worry about the rest.

Soldato
Yeah, don't force yourself to game. I recently completed Crash Bandicoot 1 a few days after release and it burned me out. Now I might play a game now and again but, I dedicate more time to learning to draw now and also caught up with all seasons of Game of Thrones. That and having a young child means less gaming but more playtime fun :p.

Soldato
I am 100% in a slump. Been left alone on my MC server and I am not really bothered joining the evening excitement of HotS. Just spend the time watching youtube and catching up on sleep instead :)

Soldato
OP
well, i fired up bltps just for the hell of it, hopefully this'll get me hooked into it.

i have a long list of things to do, but my schedule is leaving me with a lot of free time.

women/pets are off the cards atm due to current circumstances

Man of Honour
What I'm finding puts me off a lot is how many recent games have really half ***** control and menu/UI systems and/or lacking options for configuration - really shouldn't be a thing in this day and age and nothing puts me off a game faster than if I can't just drop in and play it with minimal figuring out of how basic inventory, etc. functionality works.

In quite a slump myself at the moment - still haven't finished Doom 2016 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, haven't even worked up the enthusiasm to try the new Dishonored or Prey, etc.

Soldato
OP
What I'm finding puts me off a lot is how many recent games have really half ***** control and menu/UI systems and/or lacking options for configuration - really shouldn't be a thing in this day and age and nothing puts me off a game faster than if I can't just drop in and play it with minimal figuring out of how basic inventory, etc. functionality works.

In quite a slump myself at the moment - still haven't finished Doom 2016 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, haven't even worked up the enthusiasm to try the new Dishonored or Prey, etc.

indeed, subnautica is a perfect example (albeit yet it's an alpha game) but you have to use the developer console to turn off certain graphical options.

and on the subject of borderlands i see they still haven't got around to having a normal control scheme for the vehicles.....

Caporegime
really shouldn't be a thing in this day and age and nothing puts me off a game faster than if I can't just drop in and play it with minimal figuring out of how basic inventory, etc. functionality works.

Couldn't agree more. What I find particularly irritating is when you have to allocate keys for a second configuration.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think I'm a bit jaded from playing games for so many years - back in the day it was all new, etc. and I'd put up with dealing with awkward controls, etc. but these days I've been there, done that and often just turn a game off if there is anything non-streamlined between me and the game :s

Soldato
OP
I think I'm a bit jaded from playing games for so many years - back in the day it was all new, etc. and I'd put up with dealing with awkward controls, etc. but these days I've been there, done that and often just turn a game off if there is anything non-streamlined between me and the game :s

i think the problem is we've evolved into having "standard" controls we're used to from certain games, for example i've become used to:
shift- sprint
c- crouch
x- prone (if it's a seperate control otherwise hold c)
f- melee
e- interact
left click- weapon or item use
right click- aim down sights
middle click- grenade (that's a custom one i bind to)
number keys- weapon/item slots

etc etc

the moment something deviates massively from that formula i find it hard, again using subnautica as an example but the amount of times i accidentally eat something instead of move it to a chest, or knife my base instead of opening a container.

Soldato
I rarely get slumps anymore, I split myself between editing videos and gaming. Helps a lot having a gaming related hobby that's not actually just gaming :D

Soldato
i still have GTA5 to start and about 10 games that ive put a few hours into and think they were good...just cant get the motivation to get going, usually end up having a couple of games of Heathstone and then logging off.
Ive been gaming for 35yrs (got my Spectrum 48k when i was 8) and im no longer excited by graphics, a game has to have something about it to drag me in, saying that i haven't bought a footy game in a few years (my last was football manager 15) so im going to get either pes or fifa, hoping i get into the manager modes and lose a few months.

Soldato
OP
i still have GTA5 to start and about 10 games that ive put a few hours into and think they were good...just cant get the motivation to get going, usually end up having a couple of games of Heathstone and then logging off.
Ive been gaming for 35yrs (got my Spectrum 48k when i was 8) and im no longer excited by graphics, a game has to have something about it to drag me in, saying that i haven't bought a footy game in a few years (my last was football manager 15) so im going to get either pes or fifa, hoping i get into the manager modes and lose a few months.

gtav is worth playing just to get to trevor- he's an excellent character, some of him and michael's dialogue is amazing

Back
Top Bottom