Garden rebuild.

Associate
:)

I'm attempting to "sort the gareden" out this year. We have a sloped garden that leads itself towards 3 tiers / terraces. I want to seperate these with walls. The largest will be on the tyop boundry that's 25m long and i'll have it about 1m high.

Other walls will be smaller, i'd like to use the same bricks / blocks to everything ties together.

A "quick google" shows up that bricks / blocks appear to be very expensive! Am I looking in the wrong place?

Any questions then please ask.

Thanks

Soldato
How high is each tier/terrace?

Depending on the above, you could consider railway sleepers or embedded log walls as an alternative to brick walls. Latter is labour intensive.

Associate
OP
Thank you. Here's a plan i've had drawn up. Measurements are on it.

This is a wall i've ridden past and like the look of. Where could I find something similar / identical?

And finally this is what the bomb site looks like right now :) The photo does not really show the height changes, but there really are 3 different levels.

*Yes I know it's "a big job". Fortunately I have access to a mini digger, top soil supply, aggreates and a big lorry to delivery and remove stuff.

Associate
Everything is expensive at the moment.

Good luck getting cement at the moment. Rocking horse poop is easier to find.

Associate
OP
Great.

Hopefully this will make a small dent.

All of the concrete needed for the footings will pose a problem. Sigh. I hope the local ready mix depot has some.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Could use block as suggested and then clad it however you like. Similarly with sleepers tbh.

But you’ve got a dream space there! Enjoy!

Cheers.

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/gardens-and-driveways/product/croft-stone-walling
Up to 600mm retained height.

THere is another suppleir I came across last week - will try to dig it out.

Tbh, there are loads of similar products out there; just need to search online, get some rates, look at their installation sequence, and go with your budget. e.g. https://www.marshalls.co.uk/gardens-and-driveways/garden-walling
Marshalls is a reputable supplier of lconstruction products for landscaping.

Thank you. This looks like what i'm after and matches my photo above?

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/gardens-and-driveways/product/marshalite-split-faced-garden-walling

A "steal" at "only" £55qsm :)

Soldato

SMN

SMN

Soldato
I've just had concrete blocks put in for a similar job, about 0.8M high and 15M long. Backed it with a dampproof membrame and infilled with soil and gravel with a french drain. Plan is to either silicon render, or more simply use some kind of composite wall cladding. Both of which will need finishing with a coping stone.

I did look at the wall tiles (the ones that look like slate, etc) but the cost is astronomical.

Associate
OP
Stuff takes time, materials take time to arrive etc.

Doing stuff yourself takes time, waiting for people to help takes time etc.

Anyway, this is what approx £3k of bricks looks like. I've got footings dug, groud levels somewhere close (will top them with top soil once walls are built), concrete poured. Just waiting on a brick layer now as that's something beyond my abilities.

Oh, i've painted my fence too and attached some stainless cord for when I plant.

The front garden is done though :) (don't look at the 95% finished shed)

Associate
Awesome job - what a transformation!

Couple of Qs about your front garden because I'm about to tackle a similar job myself (smaller, but more overgrown - think brambles, bindweed and elder).
- What steps did you take? Just use digger to dig out anything green until relatively level, rotivate, level again and turf?
- Where did all the garden waste go? Will take me weeks to feed it through a green bin, but I've got nowhere to burn it and it'd cost a fortune to stick in a skip because it doesn't pack down well at all...

Looking forward to seeing the back garden once that's done!

Back
Top Bottom