Garden rebuild.

Associate
:)

I'm attempting to "sort the gareden" out this year. We have a sloped garden that leads itself towards 3 tiers / terraces. I want to seperate these with walls. The largest will be on the tyop boundry that's 25m long and i'll have it about 1m high.

Other walls will be smaller, i'd like to use the same bricks / blocks to everything ties together.

A "quick google" shows up that bricks / blocks appear to be very expensive! Am I looking in the wrong place?

Any questions then please ask.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thank you. Here's a plan i've had drawn up. Measurements are on it.

This is a wall i've ridden past and like the look of. Where could I find something similar / identical?

And finally this is what the bomb site looks like right now :) The photo does not really show the height changes, but there really are 3 different levels.

*Yes I know it's "a big job". Fortunately I have access to a mini digger, top soil supply, aggreates and a big lorry to delivery and remove stuff.

Associate
OP
Great.

Hopefully this will make a small dent.

All of the concrete needed for the footings will pose a problem. Sigh. I hope the local ready mix depot has some.

Associate
OP
Could use block as suggested and then clad it however you like. Similarly with sleepers tbh.

But you’ve got a dream space there! Enjoy!

Cheers.

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/gardens-and-driveways/product/croft-stone-walling
Up to 600mm retained height.

THere is another suppleir I came across last week - will try to dig it out.

Tbh, there are loads of similar products out there; just need to search online, get some rates, look at their installation sequence, and go with your budget. e.g. https://www.marshalls.co.uk/gardens-and-driveways/garden-walling
Marshalls is a reputable supplier of lconstruction products for landscaping.

Thank you. This looks like what i'm after and matches my photo above?

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/gardens-and-driveways/product/marshalite-split-faced-garden-walling

A "steal" at "only" £55qsm :)

Associate
OP
Stuff takes time, materials take time to arrive etc.

Doing stuff yourself takes time, waiting for people to help takes time etc.

Anyway, this is what approx £3k of bricks looks like. I've got footings dug, groud levels somewhere close (will top them with top soil once walls are built), concrete poured. Just waiting on a brick layer now as that's something beyond my abilities.

Oh, i've painted my fence too and attached some stainless cord for when I plant.

The front garden is done though :) (don't look at the 95% finished shed)

Associate
OP
Thank you. It’s the grass that does it, like when you re carpet a house after decorating.

steps….just winging it really, there’s probably real gardeners winching reading this thread.

Front garden:
Moved all of the ***** that had been dumped there.
Petrol Strimmer.
Electric hedge trimmer.
Rotovated.
Tracked over with digger to get something close to level.
Covered with top soil and raked over.
Turf.

I’ve got a van with a 1t trailer so take stuff to a local landfill. I put stuff in the trailer and let it die. If you then cut it down more you can pack more in.

The rear garden has had 100+ tonne of poor quality soil taken away by a grab lorry.

Associate
OP
2nd wall coming along.

Front garden grass has really taken now. I'd recomend a robot lawn mower to anybody and everybody. I've not had to touch it with a traditional lawn mower or had to take any grass clippings away.

Associate
OP
Yeah....so not quite the instant next batch of updates...anyway. Here's some more progress.

The "top deck" is the focus now. It's level and clear, the rear wall has been finished (ran out of blocks and then back order was months of waiting). Top soil (1st delivery) came yesterday. I'm going to need much more. I'm waiting on a quote for some timber as i'm going to build a garage as well.

House extension is still on the cards, but there's only so much time in the day. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom