Gauntlet 2009 Joiners Thread!

Man of Honour
Its on again folks:

To celebrate 10 years of Seti@Netherlands they have arranged another Kings Gauntlett.

What does a Gauntlet mean?
A Gauntlet is a temporary subteam competition. The origins of those Gauntlets lies with the Ars Technica Lambchop team, but they've been held international a few times already.
It works like this: Subteams are made of about 20 crunchers. From the start of the Gauntlet there is a daily update of the statistics of these subteams. The team that has the best production after a certain period of time, wins the Gauntlet.

When does this take place?
This new Gauntlet will start at Friday the 25th of September 2009 at 00:00 hrs GMT+1 and will run for three weeks and end at Friday the 16th of October 2009 at 00:00 hr GMT+1.
To be exact, the running time will be from the first Berkeley stats export after Thursday September 24 th 20:00(GMT+1) till the first stats export after Thursday October 15th 20:00(GMT+1).

You need to put your name and Seti ID # in this thread indicating you want to participate.

I'm sure we can do better than last time :) And its a good chance for the foldy types to join in for a week or two and have some good old stompy/spanky/feek/bananas/dumping fun.

Info:

Gauntlett Thread at S@NL

Statistics
While the Gauntlet is running, there will be a daily update of all stats. The update time is depending on when Berkeley posts a new statistics download. Usually this is around midnight (GMT+1).
http://www.seti.nl/boinc_team.php?action=showsubteams&gauntlet=1&language=1

List here:

1. Biffa - 358
  2. kolala - 12988
  3. TheTross - 410034
  4. br83taylor - 8245364
  5. Grimgoth - 94729
  6. Simon - 7715
  7. Berserker - 7842181
  8. Stuart Gibson - 136047
  9. Happy - 9142897
  10. Oceaness - 364866
  11. NightmareXX - 8026786
  12. Shadowscotland - 8733174
  13. dekez - 9142920
  14. Marine Iguana - 9145696
  15. Chasser - 21070
  16. pnutty - 3944
  17. MadMaC - 79730
  18. loudbob - 8257177

Last edited:
Associate
br83taylor - 8245364

and just a heads up for those thinking of switching to seti for the Gauntlet.

background info.

how the SETI scoring works, there can be a delay in being award credit for the work units you do, this is because each work unit is done by two (or more sometimes) people and then the results compared. you only get the credit when both people have completed the task. what this results in is a term called "pending credits". this normally isn't an issue as you always get the credit eventually and after a while the amount of pending credit stabilises so you are getting about the right amount of credit per day, even if the credit you are award one day is for the work you did a few days ago.

"yawn, that's all VERY interesting but whats that got to do with the gauntlet?"

i'm glad you (me) asked

basically if you intend to switch to SETI for this, don't leave it till the last minute, because if you do that you will start the race with zero pending credits, and after 3 weeks you will end up with an amount of pending credits that won't get creditied for the race. ideally the amound of pending credits should be the same at the start as at the end for a fair reflection of the work done in those 3 weeks. i would suggest switching atleast one week beforehand if you can.

"zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

PS nightmareXX, those would be very usefull including the GTX 280. there is a CUDA client for SETI. also check out this site for optimised applications

http://lunatics.kwsn.net/

all now via a simple .exe installer. so install BOINC, attach to SETI, then run the installer.

Associate
wow, thats a very low ID number biffa :)

not sure if I can make the team cut if all the big hitters come in, but:

Grimgoth: 94729

I've got about 16 cpu cores and maybe a 8600 and this would be an excuse to rope in my 260 as well, crunching every so often all day, but sometimes stopping for the night. time to switch seti at home priority :)

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah been doing this far too long S@H archive :o

Its only for a week before and during (3weeks) so a month total.

Don't worry about the output Grim, We will have to create extra teams if we get too high an avg anyway. :)

But 16CPU cores and a 260 should do the trick!

I think I'm going to do this gauntlett, throw everything I have at Seti for a month and then switch over to F@H for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah been doing this far too long S@H archive :o

Aah, those were the days.

The days when getting credit granted was much, much simpler and far more addictive. The days of pflampfs*, the Stomp Monster, Spanky and bananas. The days of animal borging. The days when you could stash for ages and then do a mahoosive dump all over your closest rivals.

Aye, those were the days. *sniff*

*I think I've got that right... I joined towards the end of SETI Classic, so I'm not entirely sure what one is/was but I remember it being bandied about fairly regularly with much mirth...

Soldato
Errmmm :o I went to their website and got lost, I couldn't find an option to create an account or whatever I need to do to get an ID number :p

Can someone point me in the right direction?

1. Install BOINC
2. Click Add Project, then Next. Click on SETI@home, then Next.
3. When given the option, choose 'No, new user' and enter the relevant details.
4. I can't remember what you need to do after that as I've not done it for a while, but I think it connects to the project's servers and then downloads all the necessary files, including WUs.

Once you've created your account through the BOINC software, you'll need to go to the SETI website, log onto your account and click the 'Join Team' link. Then do a search for OcUK and join the team. Et Voilà!

You may need to faff about with your BOINC preferences; if so and you're stuck, give us a shout.

Soldato
1. Install BOINC
2. Click Add Project, then Next. Click on SETI@home, then Next.
3. When given the option, choose 'No, new user' and enter the relevant details.
4. I can't remember what you need to do after that as I've not done it for a while, but I think it connects to the project's servers and then downloads all the necessary files, including WUs.

Once you've created your account through the BOINC software, you'll need to go to the SETI website, log onto your account and click the 'Join Team' link. Then do a search for OcUK and join the team. Et Voilà!

You may need to faff about with your BOINC preferences; if so and you're stuck, give us a shout.

Ah ok, so very similar to R@H, cool :)

Will post back later with my number.

Back
Top Bottom