Gay wedding.. Ideas for shots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Caporegime
Really dislike that SC photo, as a wedding photo. I'm half expecting a vampire or something to be lurched n the roof of the building.

Besides the processing way OT for me.

Caporegime
That's my entire point, you can't please everybody.

Have your vision, and your art, stick to it. There will be people who love it and people who don't, that is expected. The people who love it will really love it, and if you try to please everyone (which is the entire point of my first post), you will start to lose your way.

I know people who dislike RH too, they think his angles are too weird, meaningless - sometimes all you see is an eye and finger in the photo, one of his latest of the dress shot has someone walked into the shot. Some people would reject that as it's a dress shot (I like it by the way).

You will never please everyone.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
That's my entire point, you can't please everybody.

Have your vision, and your art, stick to it. There will be people who love it and people who don't, that is expected. The people who love it will really love it, and if you try to please everyone (which is the entire point of my first post), you will start to lose your way.

I know people who dislike RH too, they think his angles are too weird, meaningless - sometimes all you see is an eye and finger in the photo, one of his latest of the dress shot has someone walked into the shot. Some people would reject that as it's a dress shot (I like it by the way).

You will never please everyone.

He did achieve one thing whether so many like it or not. This thread for example, it got everyone talking about him and the site hits. :D

Who is RH and a link please?

Soldato
OT: I work a lot with Barker Evans. They're a gay photography couple and so naturally photograph a few gay weddings. Check out their blog for some ideas :).

Off topic: Don't see anything extra special about Ross Harvey. If there's one thing I've learnt about working in weddings is that you're at the mercy of the wedding; we've struggled with getting many samples this year because things that are out of our control such as nobody dancing, boring speeches, poor weather, unphotogenic couple, camera shy guests etc. He seems to have had some luck with that sample!

I worked with this guy recently: www.robertshack.co.uk. Terrible photographer to work with and the couple weren't impressed on the day either. All he was doing was telling a lie of the day, not a story/memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
Off topic: Don't see anything extra special about Ross Harvey. If there's one thing I've learnt about working in weddings is that you're at the mercy of the wedding; we've struggled with getting many samples this year because things that are out of our control such as nobody dancing, boring speeches, poor weather, unphotogenic couple, camera shy guests etc. He seems to have had some luck with that sample!

I doubt it's actual luck with that sample (although it is a particularly nice sample), because mostly couples of a certain mindset will be likely to sign up with him, most others will save some pennies and be happy that they have more to spend on vintage bird cages.

However in my opinion, a great wedding photographer can make a 6/10 wedding look like a 10/10 wedding. A rubbish photographer can make a 10/10 wedding look like a 6/10.
There are limits though, a 1/10 wedding is not going to look so great.

Video maybe more difficult however to always show in the best light.

I worked with this guy recently: www.robertshack.co.uk. Terrible photographer to work with and the couple weren't impressed on the day either. All he was doing was telling a lie of the day, not a story/memory.

Unless he is orchestrating everything I'm not sure how his photography is lying.
Of course the couple shot's are staged, but that's pretty much expected.

On a side note, I wouldn't book this tog either as most of the work isn't my cup of tea (looks way too staged), again at least for my taste I would say RH blows this guy out the water.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, everything's staged. No photos were taken during the ceremony and barely any for the rest of the day apart from some hi-fashion shots which the couple didn't seem too excited by. Makes you wonder what made them book him.

The main difference with film is that we don't stage anything so like I said we're at the mercy of natural events. It's so annoying when it's been a perfect day and then it's an empty dancefloor, especially as that's one of my favourite parts of the day for video.

Soldato
I can't speak for the rest of the day, but it's not uncommon for a registrar to only allow pictures of bride walking down the isle, exchange of rings, kiss, fake register signing (hate this) and walking back down the isle.

I hope we see a shift away from registrars completely (some are ok but it's a lottery), and humanist ceremonies become more popular and hopefully legally recognised in England.

Caporegime
I can't speak for the rest of the day, but it's not uncommon for a registrar to only allow pictures of bride walking down the isle, exchange of rings, kiss, fake register signing (hate this) and walking back down the isle.

I hope we see a shift away from registrars completely (some are ok but it's a lottery), and humanist ceremonies become more popular and hopefully legally recognised in England.

And more outdoor wedding licences being issued !

Caporegime
Talking about registrars...

St Pauls' asked me to leave the room when the ceremony was taking place. I waited 45 minutes outside the door...

I was asked not to photograph the signing a wedding because of the same old "Data Protection Act" reason being given, which is wrong I think, being a public document. Anyway, I adhere to it as I respect them and don't really want to make a scene on a wedding day so I went to the opposite side of the room at the back with a 16-35mm lens to take a wide angle shot of the space with everyone in place.

ouTgbAM.jpg

You can see her looking at me in the photo, she is the one standing up.

Immediately she came over and ask me to stop, I politely asked why, she said i can't photograph the book, I said I am not, showed her the photo and she said "You could have those cameras where you zoom in and see all the information".

I didn't know what to say.

Soldato
I ask them if I can take a few pictures from far back at a low angle so the information on the paper is impossible to see. Some don't have an issue, and say yeh ok. Others are grumps and still demand I take zero pictures, which get's me bubbling up inside due to the lack of actual reason for this. As you say it's a public document so all this dpa is BS.

In fact all this Data Protection is BS, privacy is an illusion anyway as per E.Snowden.

Back
Top Bottom