• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX 780, 770 coming in May

Soldato
That inst what happened to the GTX 480's that you could pick up for £190 once the 580's were released...(well they did stop being made but they were sold off at amazing prices)

the 480 was a bit of a lemon, too hot and too power hungry
the 580 wasn't much of a performance leap over the 480 but it made massive improvements in these other areas which made the 480 far less desirable (it also goes to show that well over 1 year after the 580 launched, people still had stock of the 480 and had to sell them at ridiculously cheap prices to get rid of them)

I can't see quite the same thing happening to the 680, it might do with 2nd hand ones, but not on new-in-box ones

Soldato

It depends on how you define lemon. The 480 did run hot but for those of us who had decent cooling it was an amazing card that had huge yields for every percentage point overclocked.

I initially slated the 480 but after 6 months or so it just got better with every driver update. I ended up buying two of them (see images in sig).

The 480 was actually a very underrated card.

Soldato
Awwwww typical :rolleyes: ..... have just spent the last few months trying to decide which way to go gpu wise for a 900d build and thought I had decided on evga gtx 670ftws . Would you good peeps recommend I hold out a bit longer to see what may brings or should I just go for the above ? Thanks :)

Soldato
Awwwww typical :rolleyes: ..... have just spent the last few months trying to decide which way to go gpu wise for a 900d build and thought I had decided on evga gtx 670ftws . Would you good peeps recommend I hold out a bit longer to see what may brings or should I just go for the above ? Thanks :)

I would wait if you can :)

Caporegime

Definitely wait.

Caporegime
the 580 wasn't much of a performance leap over the 480 but it made massive improvements in these other areas which made the 480 far less desirable (it also goes to show that well over 1 year after the 580 launched, people still had stock of the 480 and had to sell them at ridiculously cheap prices to get rid of them)

I can't see quite the same thing happening to the 680, it might do with 2nd hand ones, but not on new-in-box ones

Hm...we shall see.

Caporegime
Only just seen this thread, excite :D

Although wont be able to afford, my 670 should be fine for a while yet :)

Can't see these cards intersting 670/680 owners to be honest as the performance gains won't be huge.

For 480/580 owners it is exciting news as there is the option of either getting the new 700 series or getting really good prices on 670's/680's.

I must say i do want something quiter and less power hungry than my 480GTX now. Though saying that, it has been a fantastic card for the money i paid and hasnt skipped a beat for the 2 years i have owned it.

Permabanned
While I dont anticipate a huge jump in performance either, it should be noted that when a lot of people saw the 670/680 specs they also complained/predicted the same thing. Theres a lot more to GPU's than just a few numbers nowadays, so i'm hoping to at least be pleasantly surprised when the benchmarks start rolling out :)

bru

bru

Soldato
Can't see these cards intersting 670/680 owners to be honest as the performance gains won't be huge.

For 480/580 owners it is exciting news as there is the option of either getting the new 700 series or getting really good prices on 670's/680's.

I must say i do want something quiter and less power hungry than my 480GTX now. Though saying that, it has been a fantastic card for the money i paid and hasnt skipped a beat for the 2 years i have owned it.

Eactly this, my 470 is hot and very loud. One of these 770's will probably be right up my alley.

Caporegime

I sold my 480 for £110 on a popular auction site, and bought my 660OC for £150 on sale :)

Performance is about the same (I ran my 480 overclocked) and it is silent, runs very cool in comparison to my 480, and uses about half the power :)

Associate
I'm building a new PC in the summer, and had decided on a Titan. But with Maxwell out next year, I think I'll just plump for a 770 or 780 now and switch to Max next year. A 770/80 will still be a huge step up from my 460, and I'll also see a bigger increase when going to Maxwell than I would if I was going from a Titan. If that makes sense!

Caporegime
I'm building a new PC in the summer, and had decided on a Titan. But with Maxwell out next year, I think I'll just plump for a 770 or 780 now and switch to Max next year. A 770/80 will still be a huge step up from my 460, and I'll also see a bigger increase when going to Maxwell than I would if I was going from a Titan. If that makes sense!

Makes sense to me :)

I want to know what NVIDIA do with the GPU names once the 900 series reaches end of life.

Caporegime
I sold my 480 for £110 on a popular auction site, and bought my 660OC for £150 on sale :)

Performance is about the same (I ran my 480 overclocked) and it is silent, runs very cool in comparison to my 480, and uses about half the power :)

Yes i was looking into doing this as well, but i will wait now.

Back
Top Bottom