• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Yes, a vapor chamber is more efficient at moving heat from one area to another than heat pipes. BUT, you also have to get rid of the heat and that is where the air fins come into play. The FE has maybe 40% of the fin surface area than something like the FTW3, and the former has at least 50% more airflow.

Random speculation is pointless. Based historically, keeping temps in check has been more about keeping the card from throttling the sustained boost clock/step than dealing with maximum overclock.
Don't think it's random speculation.
The FE cards now fix the main issue people had with previous FE cards - cooling. There wont be much in it I reckon, if anything by going AIB. NV can surely spend a decent amount of R&D on their cooling setup too. All the AIB ones look harry cheapy :).
AIB GPU sells will increase when NV FE ones are out of stock :p and then buyers think "okay, I'll stump up an extra £100 just to have one now". Granted, they're not all more expensive than the FE cards but I wouldn't be surprised if the cooling components on many AIB cards are actually lower quality.
Hopefully this stuff is also covered in the reviews! (FE vs AIB).

Watched that video above now and what a gorgeous quality looking GPu!

Last edited:
Associate
That wrap around thick aluminium casing/shroud/whatever you want to call it, will only improve the cooling as well as any heat hitting the backplate will be dissipated over a much higher surface area than on previous FE designs. The cards look very robust and high quality; of course aesthetics are subjective but my personal view is the FE cards look a lot nicer than any of the AIBs I have seen to date.

Caporegime
2080 (non Ti) hitting 2100MHz in that demo - that is a nice result. Be interesting to see how this works in non-test rigs. Also note the temps seemed pretty good as well - we might see some beastly overclocking under custom loops.

The temps also looked pretty good under the 1080 unreal engine demo and we know how that turned out in the end, fan cranked to 100%. :p

Soldato
That wrap around thick aluminium casing/shroud/whatever you want to call it, will only improve the cooling as well as any heat hitting the backplate will be dissipated over a much higher surface area than on previous FE designs. The cards look very robust and high quality; of course aesthetics are subjective but my personal view is the FE cards look a lot nicer than any of the AIBs I have seen to date.
Completely agree.
I'm hoping now the do a Titan version before Xmas/early next year seeing as I cancelled my pre-order - idiot :D. Next year should have more time for gaming again.

Associate
Completely agree.
I'm hoping now the do a Titan version before Xmas/early next year seeing as I cancelled my pre-order - idiot :D. Next year should have more time for gaming again.
Damn that sucks...

I have zero time for gaming too as our company is going through a big growth phase so I am insanely busy and traveling pretty much every week. But in our latest board meeting we decided we would be building custom desk PCs for the entire C-suite as we need good tech for our *ahem* jobs (we are all gamers) and of course we need a company group for Cyberpunk ;) so I am expecting some fun this spring when we move to the new office and build the *work* desks ;)

(Just hope the rest of my employees don't get too jealous)

Soldato
Damn that sucks...

I have zero time for gaming too as our company is going through a big growth phase so I am insanely busy and traveling pretty much every week. But in our latest board meeting we decided we would be building custom desk PCs for the entire C-suite as we need good tech for our *ahem* jobs (we are all gamers) and of course we need a company group for Cyberpunk ;) so I am expecting some fun this spring when we move to the new office and build the *work* desks ;)

(Just hope the rest of my employees don't get too jealous)

Good company to work for, big growth streak = gaming PC's, can I work there :p

Soldato
Ok they look like very good quality cards, starting to make me regret my 'nope not paying that much for one' stance now.:(

Me too :cool:

Actually really liking the ref design. Much more than the pascal cards and they look extremely good quality as well. Would fit in with my white/silver rig sooo well.

Just waiting to see how they perform and I’m considering the reference purely on looks and size so want to see how it performs to AIB cards cooling/noise wise.

Was tempted by a block but happy enough with my cpu on custom loop for now. Mainly as they are quiet enough nowadays to not really need one.

Back
Top Bottom