• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GeForce Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Hey Gregster, are you getting senial in your old age? ;)

I think Titan will be overpriced @ $899 if it only is 85% of the GTX 690. I don't need charts or stats to back that up. It's my opinion

Oldtimers :rolleyes:

Anyway more interesting is this below,

It's Sony, Not AMD in GeForce Titan's Crosshair

When we first heard of NVIDIA launching its GK110-based consumer graphics card by as early as February, it took us by surprise. Intimidating naming (GeForce Titan 780?) aside, the graphics card is hoping to better NVIDIA's current-generation flagship, the dual-GPU GeForce GTX 690, in a single-GPU package, but does the graphics card market really need NVIDIA to launch its card at the moment? Perhaps not, but the answer lies not with AMD and competition in the graphics card market, but Sony, and competition between PC and console platforms.

Over the weekend, it surfaced that Sony would introduce its next-generation PlayStation console (codenamed "Orbis") later this month, and it would mark the beginning of the next-generation of game consoles. PlayStation 4 features an updated hardware feature-set, and promises to raise the bar with graphics detail that the console industry held with an iron fist for the past half decade. This presents a challenge for not only NVIDIA, but PC gaming in general. Here's how.
It's no news that PC graphics have always trumped consoles, but lost out on the "cost factor." Advocates of consoles falsely compare the cost of an entire PC (approaching or crossing $1,000) with a $300 console. In our opinion, marketing honchos at both NVIDIA and AMD failed to adequately present the argument that a graphics card as a single component costs exactly the same as a game console, and transforms desktop computers that average households already own, into gaming PCs.

With the introduction of the next-generation PlayStation "Orbis," PC graphics companies such as NVIDIA need to launch new products to remind the masses that PC gaming looks, feels, and plays better than consoles, even the newest ones on the block. NVIDIA just happened to have the GK110 lying around.

The GeForce Kepler 110 (GK110) is NVIDIA's (possibly the industry's) biggest GPU. Conceived around the time when the 28 nanometer silicon fabrication process at TSMC was relatively new and prone to yield problems, it was put on the back-burner when NVIDIA realized its second fastest chip, the GK104, stood a real chance against AMD's "Tahiti" high-end GPU. Even as New Year's 2013 approached, the most audacious speculators in the press were led to believe that NVIDIA would take its time launching the GK110 with its GTX 700 series, some time much later than February. What changed? Well for one, Sony and Microsoft agreed to chart out their next-generation console launch schedules, so either's products get maximum market exposure, and that is bad for the PC platform.

The GeForce "Titan" 780 GK110 card, hence, is NVIDIA not only batting for its own GeForce brand (which already leads AMD Radeon in the PC space), but PC gaming in general. We don't expect to see crates full of these graphics cards making their way to stores just yet, but a text-book NVIDIA launch. Over the decade NVIDIA learned that when it has limited initial inventories of a new product and yet wants to avoid the dunce cap of a "paper launch," (a launch that's just on paper, with no public availability), it pools up just enough quantities of the product for worldwide press (for launch date reviews), and limited launches in key markets such as the US and EU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/179750/It-s-Sony-Not-AMD-in-GeForce-Titan-s-Crosshair.html

Oops you got them on your back now lol, it always more than one! Again they have attacked someone for spelling :\ and again gone off topic!

Well i dont think the consoles will ever get close to the PC as like you have just said cost is massive. One thing i dont understand is where do you get a PS 3 even for $300? More like $500 even now! Unless you want one with like 0GB or something. I think the PS 4 will be like 500+ quid easy and games are around 45 quid each now so PC gaming still ends up cheaper over the years, although EA and Blizzard are still ripping peoples eyes out! 40 quid for an expansion!

Permabanned
for $300? More like $500 even now! Unless you want one with like 0GB or something.

Members market maybe as mine sits and gathers dust for no reason other than films and uncharted :p Its crud like tesco horsemeat and they wont ever get 7970's inside that PS4 as no one who plays console is prepared to pay £500 and 45 a game like you said.Sony would need to subsidise 200 quid a console at least unless AMD plan to sell them the same chips we get but at a very minor profit margin.I guess they could do this as everyone knows how inflated and overpriced Graphics cards are.

A more dubious and smarter person would play free games and buy a 3570k and a 7970 for the same cost and get better visuals! throw in a 120hz tft and compare it to warfighters seemingly 30fps online.

I had a headache after 5 mins dont expect much better from the PS4 apart from a newer warfighters with twice the visuals but with 1080p at 30fps :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey Gregster, are you getting senial in your old age? ;)

I think Titan will be overpriced @ $899 if it only is 85% of the GTX 690. I don't need charts or stats to back that up. It's my opinion

Oldtimers :rolleyes:

Anyway more interesting is this below,

It's Sony, Not AMD in GeForce Titan's Crosshair

When we first heard of NVIDIA launching its GK110-based consumer graphics card by as early as February, it took us by surprise. Intimidating naming (GeForce Titan 780?) aside, the graphics card is hoping to better NVIDIA's current-generation flagship, the dual-GPU GeForce GTX 690, in a single-GPU package, but does the graphics card market really need NVIDIA to launch its card at the moment? Perhaps not, but the answer lies not with AMD and competition in the graphics card market, but Sony, and competition between PC and console platforms.

Over the weekend, it surfaced that Sony would introduce its next-generation PlayStation console (codenamed "Orbis") later this month, and it would mark the beginning of the next-generation of game consoles. PlayStation 4 features an updated hardware feature-set, and promises to raise the bar with graphics detail that the console industry held with an iron fist for the past half decade. This presents a challenge for not only NVIDIA, but PC gaming in general. Here's how.
It's no news that PC graphics have always trumped consoles, but lost out on the "cost factor." Advocates of consoles falsely compare the cost of an entire PC (approaching or crossing $1,000) with a $300 console. In our opinion, marketing honchos at both NVIDIA and AMD failed to adequately present the argument that a graphics card as a single component costs exactly the same as a game console, and transforms desktop computers that average households already own, into gaming PCs.

With the introduction of the next-generation PlayStation "Orbis," PC graphics companies such as NVIDIA need to launch new products to remind the masses that PC gaming looks, feels, and plays better than consoles, even the newest ones on the block. NVIDIA just happened to have the GK110 lying around.

The GeForce Kepler 110 (GK110) is NVIDIA's (possibly the industry's) biggest GPU. Conceived around the time when the 28 nanometer silicon fabrication process at TSMC was relatively new and prone to yield problems, it was put on the back-burner when NVIDIA realized its second fastest chip, the GK104, stood a real chance against AMD's "Tahiti" high-end GPU. Even as New Year's 2013 approached, the most audacious speculators in the press were led to believe that NVIDIA would take its time launching the GK110 with its GTX 700 series, some time much later than February. What changed? Well for one, Sony and Microsoft agreed to chart out their next-generation console launch schedules, so either's products get maximum market exposure, and that is bad for the PC platform.

The GeForce "Titan" 780 GK110 card, hence, is NVIDIA not only batting for its own GeForce brand (which already leads AMD Radeon in the PC space), but PC gaming in general. We don't expect to see crates full of these graphics cards making their way to stores just yet, but a text-book NVIDIA launch. Over the decade NVIDIA learned that when it has limited initial inventories of a new product and yet wants to avoid the dunce cap of a "paper launch," (a launch that's just on paper, with no public availability), it pools up just enough quantities of the product for worldwide press (for launch date reviews), and limited launches in key markets such as the US and EU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/179750/It-s-Sony-Not-AMD-in-GeForce-Titan-s-Crosshair.html

Techpowerup really do come out with some crap rumours don't they. LOL Does anyone believe any of this article? The GK110 is a compute part for a start. And really, it's up to Nvidia to save PC gaming, haha, by releasing a limited edition card with a huge pricetag! Yeah I can see that saving PC gaming all right.

And isn't the playstation 4 only been announced on february the 20th it's not actually been released until June at E3 or Q3 sometime?

That whole article made me laugh.

Last edited:
Associate
Surely the titan needs to be 90%> of GTX680 SLI if it comes in at £700?

If it isn't then you could just get GTX680 SLI and have better performance, or HD7970 CF for £580.

I don't see the benefit of a fast single GPU if it can be outperformed by two lesser cards in SLI or CF (or the same performance from two lesser cards for less money), well not unless you want to go Titan SLI as the alternative (GTX680 or HD7970 x4) is a poor option due to quadfire/quad SLI being awful.

All it has going for it is its a single GPU, not really much of an advantage these days when CF and SLI do so well and most people have room for two cards.

Permabanned
Members market maybe as mine sits and gathers dust for no reason other than films and uncharted :p Its crud like tesco horsemeat and they wont ever get 7970's inside that PS4 as no one who plays console is prepared to pay £500 and 45 a game like you said.Sony would need to subsidise 200 quid a console at least unless AMD plan to sell them the same chips we get but at a very minor profit margin.I guess they could do this as everyone knows how inflated and overpriced Graphics cards are.

A more dubious and smarter person would play free games and buy a 3570k and a 7970 for the same cost and get better visuals! throw in a 120hz tft and compare it to warfighters seemingly 30fps online.

I had a headache after 5 mins dont expect much better from the PS4 apart from a newer warfighters with twice the visuals but with 1080p at 30fps :D

Not only that the onlione features of the consoles are BAD theres hardly any servers and the ones that are up are full of hackers and laggy, id never go back console just never!

Soldato
Because you can then SLI two titans which is likely to be faster than anything else due to diminishing returns on 3/4 card set ups.

this ^

for people wanting to drive very high resolutions, 2 Titans will probably return more consistently good frame rates than 3-4 680's / 7970's and for the insanely rich, 4 titans will be a massive epeen waving feat of delicious eye candy

Man of Honour
Techpowerup really do come out with some crap rumours don't they. LOL Does anyone believe any of this article? The GK110 is a compute part for a start. And really, it's up to Nvidia to save PC gaming, haha, by releasing a limited edition card with a huge pricetag! Yeah I can see that saving PC gaming all right.

And isn't the playstation 4 only been announced on february the 20th it's not actually been released until June at E3 or Q3 sometime?

That whole article made me laugh.

I read the article over on Techpowerup and found it quite comical

nvidia already sell the GTX 690 which should still have better performance the a single Titan so how can nvidia save PC gaming by releasing a slower card.

If nvidia were really worried about this they could start pushing out GTX 690s at about £500 a go and still make a profit (greedy sods).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom