Poll: General election voting poll round 3

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 56 7.9%
  • Labour

Votes: 122 17.3%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 33 4.7%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 38 5.4%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Respect Party

• Scottish National Party

Votes: 29 4.1%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

• Sinn Fein

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • UKIP

Votes: 129 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
People underestimate Ed Milliband at their peril, I bet a few Tories are regretting their personal attacks on him now.

tony_blair_typing.jpg

Soldato
Yeah fair point I should have said removed from service with no direct replacement. removing V/STOL capability from our services.

edit: think you are wrong about the costings though.

I might have been slightly out of the cost of a new F-35B..

Sale price of 72 Harriers, spares and support equipment = US$180 million: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15876745 & http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2013/09/whatever-happened-harriers/

Price of a single F-35B = US$104 million : https://www.f35.com/about/fast-facts/cost

So, the sale of 72 Harriers will buy the MoD one and half F-35Bs.

Possibly the worst deal the UK made since McSquintly sold off our gold reserver for peanuts and Call Me Dave sold off our nuclear industry to the Chinese.

Soldato
Still Conservative.

I am not looking forward to the prospect of minority government next time to try and stymie the Labour/SNP coalition/collaboration.

Assuming the Conservatives obtain most seats, and Labour/SNP force a confidence vote, to oust them, the Conservatives would again be reliant on the Liberal Democrats to stay in power. No real bad thing if the LD stay on board.

Labour/LibDem will not get enough seats, Labour/LibDem/SNP would, but probably the Labour seats will be less than the Conservatives, and what a mix up that would be.

UKIP will be a busted flush with the odd seat maybe 1-3.

Soldato
Great, the Not voting/will spoil ballot is screwing the results so it's had to make a direct comparison, why are we even counting people who can't be arsed?

Soldato
  • He looks like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit.
  • He comes over as an idiot in interviews.
  • He comes over as seriously lacking in knowledge in interviews.
  • He makes George W Bush look like a competent world leader.

He's smarter and better respected on the world stage than Cameron. But that's not really saying much.

Soldato
The reason most vote Labour policies for self-interest when blindfolded is because Labour's policies are (on paper) in the interest of most people. The fact that their policies are usually detrimental to the country and therefore not really in most peoples interests (I.E the non-dom debacle) is something that is not apparent when making the choice blindfolded.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Labour policies are "usually detrimental to the country"? That's exactly the kind of "stuff" I was referring to that distorts people's voting preferences. It's frankly a ridiculous statement. But it's an idea that probably led to a lot of Tory votes at the last GE (you see it written on this forum and in comments around the internet a lot anyway).

Very few people have the background to know for themselves which policies are "better"/"worse" for the country, and in any case I think you're being too generous suggesting the electorate prioritise the country over themselves. The main platform the Conservatives have is low taxation after all.

It seems to me that people just need to accept that in a representative democracy you are implicitly "trusting" your MP/party to do the job properly, and not second-guess them or use votes to "punish" a party (e.g. the poor Lib Dems this time around). Because most of the time people don't nearly have enough information (or time to research, or brains) to properly form an opinion. I think rather than get meta-opinions from the media people should just stick to their guns and vote for policies.

Soldato
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Labour policies are "usually detrimental to the country"? That's exactly the kind of "stuff" I was referring to that distorts people's voting preferences. It's frankly a ridiculous statement. But it's an idea that probably led to a lot of Tory votes at the last GE (you see it written on this forum and in comments around the internet a lot anyway).

Labour have a bad habit of offering policies at election time in order to entice voters even though they know that the policies are either ill advised or unfeasible.

When I was in college we elected a Student union president who vowed to make the pool tables (50p a game) and the arcade machines (£1 a game) in the student lounge free to use. As you would expect he won, and within 6 months the SU was bankrupt. The pool tables which were making no money were in need of repair and the was no money for it because everything in the pot went on the rental of the arcade machines which were making no money, so after time that ran out and the rental company took them away, leaving just some broken pool tables with no cues and a TV that was disconnected due to lack of a license.

But hey the policies sounded great :p

Very few people have the background to know for themselves which policies are "better"/"worse" for the country, and in any case I think you're being too generous suggesting the electorate prioritise the country over themselves.

I only suggested the people who voted Green policy did that, most just voted for the policies that "appeared" to benefit them.

Caporegime
I might have been slightly out of the cost of a new F-35B..

Sale price of 72 Harriers, spares and support equipment = US$180 million: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15876745 & http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2013/09/whatever-happened-harriers/

Price of a single F-35B = US$104 million : https://www.f35.com/about/fast-facts/cost

So, the sale of 72 Harriers will buy the MoD one and half F-35Bs.

Possibly the worst deal the UK made since McSquintly sold off our gold reserver for peanuts and Call Me Dave sold off our nuclear industry to the Chinese.

:( - how depressing they went for so little. By the time I type this, the cost of one F-35B has probably risen by £0.5m :(:p

Caporegime
  • He looks like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. Don't care what a PM looks like
  • He comes over as an idiot in interviews. How exactly?
  • He comes over as seriously lacking in knowledge in interviews. Give examples please
  • He makes George W Bush look like a competent world leader. Again please give examples.

Yet despite the Tory/simpleton's view of him, which you have neatly summarised, he's still ahead in the polls.

Last edited:
Caporegime
For me, Ed simply doesn't appear to have the qualities or attributes of a 'leader'. I just don't see him on the world stage representing the UK's interests with charisma, nerve and gumption. He was behind the scenes for the majority of Labour's 13 years (along with Balls) so it's hard to shake off that stigma, he hasn't really impressed greatly as leader of the opposition but I would still rather see him in than DC :(.

Soldato
Yet despite the Tory/simpleton's view of him, which you have neatly summarised, he's still ahead in the polls.

You should have heard him giving an interview to the BBC about striking teachers about 4 years ago, he must have repeated himself 4 times in the space of 4 minutes. I'm no labour fan but that was seriously painful to watch.

Who on earth keeps voting for Sinn Fein?

Caporegime
Hate him or love him (one probably a lot more than the other), I saw much more of a 'leader' in Blair than Ed. Brown, less than Blair but still more than Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom