Poll: General election voting round 5 (final one)

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 403 42.2%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 59 6.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 176 18.4%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 42 4.4%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Respect Party

• Scottish National Party

Votes: 37 3.9%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

• Sinn Fein

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • UKIP

Votes: 154 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do feel this election should be a reason for further voting reform.

As it stands.

If you vote for the Green party, Plaid or the SNP - you are increasing your chances of getting the Conservatives. The least desirable outcome for most of their voter base.

If you vote for UKIP - you are essentially increasing your chances of getting Labour, with no EU referendum - again the least desirable outcome for their voter base.

Voting for the Liberal Democrats could see them propping up either a Conservative or Labour main party - each option is against one of the least desirable outcomes for two sides of the party.

Is it just me who thinks there is something seriously wrong with how this election is playing out?.

"Wrong" ? The rules have been in places for a long time, if we get a tory government it's not the fault of any one person, region or member nation. If England wanted labour we'd have labour, if England wants tories, we'd have tory. The other countries barely matter when England can make it's mind up frankly, which it can't this time apparently.

That's the fault of the parties, not the electorate.

I think it will come to the forefront quite soon to be honest.

I doubt it, there just isn't the appetite for it amongst the general public. If it does though lets hope the Yes campaign does a better job than last time (not that I minded, as AV was in many ways worse than FPTP).

I doubt it, there just isn't the appetite for it amongst the general public. If it does though lets hope the Yes campaign does a better job than last time (not that I minded, as AV was in many ways worse than FPTP).

Maybe PR will be on the cards.

"Wrong" ? The rules have been in places for a long time, if we get a tory government it's not the fault of any one person, region or member nation. If England wanted labour we'd have labour, if England wants tories, we'd have tory. The other countries barely matter when England can make it's mind up frankly, which it can't this time apparently.

That's the fault of the parties, not the electorate.

The point is that you can wish for left wing or right wing governance, but voting for actual left (SNP, Plaid)/right (UKIP) wing parties makes it more likely you'll get the opposite left-of-centre (Labour) / right-of-centre (Tory) governance than if you'd voted for the centrist party with the leaning of your preference.

That's not a good democratic system.

FPTP won't go, don't delude yourselves at least for the next few general elections, there needs to be several hung parliaments before MPs want it to change.

The point is that you can wish for left wing or right wing governance, but voting for actual left (SNP, Plaid)/right (UKIP) wing parties makes it more likely you'll get the opposite left-of-centre (Labour) / right-of-centre (Tory) governance than if you'd voted for the centrist party with the leaning of your preference.

That's not a good democratic system.

FPTP is the issue, not the way the rest of it works out to be honest. I feel that the Holyrood elections are fairer in almost every respect due to the list MSPs.

I don't necessarily disagree but yes we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

To redress one thing I meant to put in my post before you'd quoted me though, if the reason to vote UKIP was to get representation with a view to leaving Europe then that is understandable.

My point however was that I don't understand the fanatical core that continually bleat on about UKIP being different and a breath of fresh air, and that Farage is a charismatic straight talking man of the people: this is simply not true. I didn't say I don't understand why people want to vote for UKIP, did I? I think my exact phrase was "I don't understand how UKIP have pulled the wool over so many people's eyes".

I can only speak for myself, but one impression I get that is distinctly different about Farage compared to other politicians, is that he actually believes in his own message, he speaks with conviction.

This makes an enormous difference to how people perceive him.

Another example of this, he actually goes on walkabouts through the streets when he campaigns, he just keeps walking, the cameras follow him and you see everyday folk giving their input.

With Miliband, Cameron etc, it is so staged, they are always surrounded by fanatics.

Somebody in the office couldn't follow the instructions on the postal voting and spoiled it, probably best they don't vote if they can't follow simple instructions. /facepalm

The SNP are not even to the left of Labour. In fact I'd describe the SNP as pretty much a centrist party.

What ways, fiscal or social, would you say the SNP are not more left than Labour?

On paper the parties have many similarities, but in all areas I can find differences the SNP are a little more left IMO (more affordable homes, free education, increase in benefits).

I'm not including Labour "gimmicks" (freezing energy bills, guaranteed jobs for <25s, cap on train fares, meddling with rental market) which I'll take with a pinch of salt for now, although they're very interesting ideas.

I think many people would really like having AV at this election. The only people who wouldn't benefit are staunch one-party voters (CON/LAB), everyone else could at least put a "fringe" party first and a centrist one (or more) second. I'd love that.

That sucks, not sure you can vote at a polling station once you've setup for postal voting.

You can if you haven't sent the paperwork in yet, but if you never received it then I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom