Poll: German Grand Prix 2018, Hockenheim - Race 11/21

Rate the 2018 German Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
No matter what happens, Hamilton has yet again proved to me that he's a top class driver. He has stayed within touching distance of Vettel even though he doesn't clearly have the quickest car and had a bit of poor reliability later.

Also proves that Rosberg became such a great driver with the competition of Hamilton.

Man of Honour
No matter what happens, Hamilton has yet again proved to me that he's a top class driver. He has stayed within touching distance of Vettel even though he doesn't clearly have the quickest car and had a bit of poor reliability later.

Also proves that Rosberg became such a great driver with the competition of Hamilton.

Also makes me wonder what Mercedes would do now with both drivers in the team. Bottas has been a god send for them. Pretty fast, doesn’t challenge Hamilton too much, very obedient.

Man of Honour
OP
Comparison of Hamilton and Vettel onboards on the lap Seb went off:

Very different lines and Lewis was gaining quickly even through traffic, I feel like we didn't see Hamilton's save at T10 either during the race?

Soldato
Comparison of Hamilton and Vettel onboards on the lap Seb went off:

Very different lines and Lewis was gaining quickly even through traffic, I feel like we didn't see Hamilton's save at T10 either during the race?

He also ran wide overtaking the haas offline but had accounted for it so had slowed enough not to barrel off as Kimi did the lap before when bottas passed him.

Associate
The only shambolic thing about that race was that he wasn't penalised sooner.

The rule he broke was cutting a corner and gaining an advantage. He gained an obvious advantage - he put himself in a position to overtake Raikkonen at the next corner - that he allowed Kimi through by about a tenth before he dive-bombed up the inside didn't negate the advantage he gained by cutting the corner.

He let Kimi past by more than a tenth as Lewis was on Kimi's left coming out of the coner and overtook Kimi on his right going in to the next corner, Lewis had fully given the place back and lost any advantage he had gained.

Soldato

Is there any debate about Hamilton's talent? It's usually how much of a knob you think he is.

Soldato
He let Kimi past by more than a tenth as Lewis was on Kimi's left coming out of the coner and overtook Kimi on his right going in to the next corner, Lewis had fully given the place back and lost any advantage he had gained.
Not the way it works. He would have been in the gravel or barrier if that was a normal corner. Raikkonen had the corner. Hamilton had the option to back off, but chose to cut across the chicane instead, thereby keeping a gap he wouldn't otherwise have had.

Permabanned

Not true, Hamilton would not have been in position to attempt that overtake had he not cut the chicane previously. When questioned pretty much every driver on the grid agreed that Hamilton gained an advantage from cutting the chicane.

Transmission breaker
Don
Not true, Hamilton would not have been in position to attempt that overtake had he not cut the chicane previously. When questioned pretty much every driver on the grid agreed that Hamilton gained an advantage from cutting the chicane.

Video explanation here for those not in the know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUJzA1diJPY

ANYWAY, why are we discussing an incident from 10 years ago in this thread.... :D

Permabanned
I'm unsure that some fans question his talent. Some people seem to want to downgrade all of his achievements being due to the cars he has been in.

When talent is undeniable it's easier to attack character, that's usually how it works.

Hamilton could easily have two more championships under his belt, most of them have been down to the last few races or even the last race, he's never been in a position where he's cruised to victory unchallenged over a season.

Only drivers that have had that luxury in our generation is Vettel, Button and Schumacher, no disrespect to any of them but they had it easy in comparison.

I still think Ferrari have the better car this year, it just depends if Vettel can keep his head when things don't go his way.

Associate
Hamilton could easily have two more championships under his belt, most of them have been down to the last few races or even the last race, he's never been in a position where he's cruised to victory unchallenged over a season
What, when he was screwed over in 2007, or 2010 (IIRC) when Vettel was the luckiest person ever in Brazil...

Hungary next; very strong track for Hamilton...

Soldato
Got back from weekend trip to German F1 late on Monday night, had a fantastic weekend, unbelievable result from Hamilton.

All of the Germans were utterly convinced that Vettel was going to win, qualifying in pole seemed to make a win very likely indeed, us plucky Brits who were there kept our hopes up and our voices heard!

When Vettel crashed out most of the German fans were gutted, 30% of the crowd just walked out, the German guy next to me who had been swearing at Lewis every time he drove passed looked like he was going to cry (it was priceless)! We all ran onto the track at the end when the "heavens opened", never seen rain like it, it was like being jetwashed :)

Considering a Monza weekend now!

HEADRAT

Soldato
Got back from weekend trip to German F1 late on Monday night, had a fantastic weekend, unbelievable result from Hamilton.

All of the Germans were utterly convinced that Vettel was going to win, qualifying in pole seemed to make a win very likely indeed, us plucky Brits who were there kept our hopes up and our voices heard!

When Vettel crashed out most of the German fans were gutted, 30% of the crowd just walked out, the German guy next to me who had been swearing at Lewis every time he drove passed looked like he was going to cry (it was priceless)! We all ran onto the track at the end when the "heavens opened", never seen rain like it, it was like being jetwashed :)

Considering a Monza weekend now!

HEADRAT
did Hamilton come out to celebrate with you guys in the track?

Soldato
No but probably because it was:

1. Bucketing down with rain (massive thunder storm)
2. He was probably being prepped for the "stewards" meeting

The weather was really bad and I was concerned a couple of times that if a lightening bolt had hit the track near us we could have been electrocuted ;) (but was too full of beer/adrenaline to really care)

Last edited:
Permabanned
That's not how I remember 2009?!

Iirc he didn't win a race in the second half and had to fight hard when Brawn had no money to develop the car and maintain their performance in relation to the field. It was decided in the penultimate race...
Hardly running away with it!

No, but he did win six of the first seven races and he literately did cruise them such was the advantage they had at the start of the season. He had such a huge points advantage that even with his abysmal performance in the season half of the season he still won the championship.

Soldato
I'd hardly call his performance 'abysmal'. The car had no development from the 6th race of the season, and his results were in line with Rubens so that's pretty much where the car was i nterms of performance.
Quite, neither does a f1 driver cruise a race, like as if a car drives itself, it is always hard. Winning monaco as well, where downforce has little to do with it, plus beating other cars with the same diffuser in other races. Button really had to work hard at that season and proved to Russ Brawn that he was, as the team told him, a 'little bit special'
Anyone who thinks winning a f1 championship is easy should just put themselves in a box and send it home.
Even Hamilton has respect for him...

Permabanned
I'd hardly call his performance 'abysmal'. The car had no development from the 6th race of the season, and his results were in line with Rubens so that's pretty much where the car was i nterms of performance.

I'm sure Ruben outperformed him in the season half and picked up a few wins, if the best #2 driver in history can manage that then why couldn't Button?

Back
Top Bottom