get a u2311 now or wait for BenQ XL2410

Associate
only prob is a small fraction of a degree, the monitor goes to the right.

small problem, but trying to think how to solve it with sticky tape? maybe the having this portrait mode is more trouble than its it worth.
I read some people on HardForum with that, they fixed it up loosening the screws on bracket at the back holding the stand, aligning it properly and then tightening it back up. One other person just use a bit of brute force and fixed it, but I'd probably try the first method before you go that route.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
okay i try that,

picture quality uber, just as better than the old crt i was using, or the old dell lcd panel i was using, the colours are i think are accurate. Well to my eye anyway, not done much in tweaking. maybe there will be a webpage or something which may look a bit off, but not so far. looks good.

Just wished it was 23.6" :p not just 23" but cant have everything you sacrifice something for something else in the monitor game, i went with colour and viewing angles.

Found a quick solution i put some tissue paper under the stand solves it :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
maybe its just this monitor? if it was at 35 bright it would be very dark.

And else getting the smell of new warm plastic, off there monitor?

Associate
maybe its just this monitor? if it was at 35 bright it would be very dark.

And else getting the smell of new warm plastic, off there monitor?
I've currently got my brightness at 35, but change it to 75 during the day or when watching movies. When I did a direct comparison side by side with my old CRT, 75+ brightness was about the same level of luminance.

I also had the new plastic smell for a few days, it's pretty much gone now though.

Soldato
I read some people on HardForum with that, they fixed it up loosening the screws on bracket at the back holding the stand, aligning it properly and then tightening it back up. One other person just use a bit of brute force and fixed it, but I'd probably try the first method before you go that route.

You know I didn't notice until I saw that, just measured it and there's 0.5 cm different between the left and right side heh.

Associate
anyone know how to use the auto ajust feature? im using the DVi cable, only work on vga? and dynamic contrast both options are greyed out.

I get the same thing, auto adjust is only on VGA and dynamic contrast is greyed out on DVI and VGA. Maybe the manual will shed some more light (edit: pun not intended :)).

Does the Dell come with a DVI cable?
Yep, VGA, DVI and USB cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right gents. I received my Dell u2311h today and am currently setting it up.

My PVA monitor is in my bedroom, so at present I shall give you a quick comparison between my Sony CRT and the Dell.

Aspect Ratio
This is my first 16:9 aspect ratio monitor. Coming from a 4:3 Sony, this monitor is extremely wide and it is a such as shame that so much space is going to be wasted when viewing web pages (ie. due the page not filling the horizontal resolution). I may have to run this in portrait mode.

16:9 is definitely a poor aspect ratio for a work station display. My PVA monitor is 16:10 so I may use that for my main monitor.

Text
The Dell knocks the Sony CRT for six when it comes to image sharpness. The Sony CRT isn't even in the same ball park.

Video
I've tested 2 videos very quickly. 1080p. (Iron Man 2 and Katy Perry's Firework video). Put simply, the Sony is in a different league to the Dell. The colour reproduction. The sharpness. The black levels, leave Dell in the dust.

What I find is that the Dell is trying to smudge the image and gradients in colour are clearly visible. The Sony also does the same thing, but it does it much better, such that the gradients in colour are barely visible. The Sony is much more vibrant.

Photos are similarly better on the Sony.

Brightness
The Dell is a bright monitor.
I have brightness set to 15, contrast set to 75. With time, I will probably reduce the brightness further.

Games
I won't be playing any games on this monitor for a while, but there are many other reviews which tell you how good the Dell is, in this area.

Uniformity
A lot has been said about the uniformity of the panel and that many people have seen some form of tinting on the edges of this panel. On the left hand side of my screen is an ever so slightly bluer tinge. This is visible on a white screen (such as google) only. This does not bother me.

Pansonic Plasma
Comparing the DELL to my 720p, 42" Panasonic Plasma: when it comes to video, the DELL's image quality is laughable, but I think it is unfair to compare LCD to Plasma.

I'm going to be bringing my PVA panel into the lounge now and then compare the PVA monitor to this DELL.

I've used the PVA screen for about 3 years now and my initial reaction is that, as an all-rounder, the PVA screen is superior, but when it comes to displaying text, the DELL is VERY impressive.

Soldato
OLED will be the technology to give CRT and Plasma a run for their money, not IPS LCD. What is your CRT monitor, incidentally? If you had told me that, as I am predicting, it is broad gamut, I wouldn't have recommended you get a U2311H if you want a vibrant image. The colour accuracy within sRGB is the strength of the U2311H but overall it is far from perfect. I think people do have slightly unrealistic expectations when it comes to cheaper IPS panels such as this one - they are designed to provide a pleasing upgrade over TN panels of a similar price and they do that rather well.

Soldato
I've just been playing around with the image settings within ffdshow filter. There simply isn't a way to improve the image quality when it comes to watching HD movies. This LCD just doesn't cut it when it comes to watching movies.

If you own a plasma or CRT, this LCD will be a disappointment.

I shall bring my PVA monitor in now and lets see how that compares.

I've also just played around with running the monitor in portrait mode...my neck hurts. This monitor needs to be run in landscape format, but the 16:9 ratio is a complete waste. LCD manufacturers really should offer other aspect ratios.

If this monitor had a 4:3 ratio, it would be a killer workstation monitor. I can't see how anybody could recommend this monitor for watching video or playing games. Of all my screens, this is the poorest when it comes to video.

I've just checked static images and this monitor is brilliant. Its weakness is moving images (ie. video) and black levels.

Soldato
OLED will be the technology to give CRT and Plasma a run for their money, not IPS LCD.

If LCD is so poor, why on Earth are manufacturers investing so much money in to making poor quality products from a technology which is obviously inferior? It makes no sense to me.

Plasma TVs beat LCD TVs for image quality, at most price points. Yet manufacturers keep making LCD screens and people keep buying them. It defies logic.

What is your CRT monitor, incidentally?

Sony Multiscan GDM400PS.

Back
Top Bottom