get a u2311 now or wait for BenQ XL2410

Associate
When did you order? Ordered mine Tuesday night (about 3 days ago).
Monday 15th, about 10pm.

For some reason the processing of my order was slower than everyone else over at HUKD, people who ordered around the same time as me got their monitor yesterday. You ordered on Tuesday and got yours faster than me :(

Soldato
Well if it's not come through by Tuesday I will raise a query with them. Says you should wait 7 days. All comes down to where in the country you are I reckon, what hub it came into, and what UPS route you're on. Was surprised I got mine so fast though actually.

Soldato
You call 10:30am taking their sweet time? :D Most shipments I get originate from depots in the South and make their way to the North. Having said that UPS and the like are usually quite prompt as they leave it overnight in a depot in Gateshead which is nice and close. And the traffic doesn't bring the same problems over here generally ;).

Last edited:
Associate
Well, the monitor left the depot in Barking at 6am, which is about 20mins away from here and it's still not arrived. I could've walked there and picked it up by hand quicker, so yes, UPS are slow :p

On a slightly related note, they actually sent the monitor to Barking yesterday, then moved it to Tamworth, then brought it back to Barking early this morning. I really should've intercepted it yesterday.

Soldato
I'm quite fortunate as where I am in Manchester I have all the major couriers within about 5 minutes of me, so even if I miss a delivery/collection, they're just around the corner. I've noticed it's far more prompt and reliable up here than it was when I lived down south though.

Soldato
Yeah that does seem unfortunate. I have had the routing system mess up before and they kept on relaying a package between depots instead of delivering it. Nightmare! I hope you get it soon.

Associate
OP
I ordered on wed, make that thur 1:30am, yesterday it went through Netherlands to Brussels, and now this morning it is in Barking London, and they say it will be coming on the Monday!!, UK sucks lol.well estimated.

Im hoping it comes today or tomorrow.

Associate
How is it?
Initial impression is that it's, overall, very good. The screen is slightly smaller than I expected (even though I did measure it out beforehand) but nice nevertheless.

The clarity is superb and I've not quite played with the monitor colour settings yet, but out of the box it wasn't too bad, just a little bit blue and too bright.

However, it's not quite perfect, I can see a cool blue tint on the left side which a lot of people have mentioned. I'm trying to decide how much this bothers me as it's only really noticeable when looking at a solid white or light coloured screen.

There's no dead pixels and I don't think there's any noticeable backlight bleed, however it's not really dark enough in this room yet to fully test/see. The IPS glow is slightly more noticeable on this Dell than on my 20" iMac G5, I'm not sure if that's because it's wider (so the viewing angles to the corners is greater) or just the IPS on my iMac is slightly better. However, the viewing angles are about as good.

I'm also coming straight from a 19" Iiyama HM903DT CRT that I've been using for a long long time. I can definitely see some difference in games (I've only briefly played Left 4 Dead 2 and Flatout 2 so far), the framerate is high enough, but just doesn't seem quite as smooth (maybe I should've bought a 120Hz monitor :p). I'm sure I'll get used to this though.

I've currently set my CRT and Dell in clone mode so I can do a direct comparison, using tests like PixPerAn, Prad box test and the Eizo test, I can definitely see some slight blurring and ghosting/overdrive. However I don't see it in actual games that I've tested (mentioned previously). I've read that with the transition from a CRT to LCD, you'll always see some blurring regardless of response rate or panel type. I don't think there's any input lag that I've noticed, but I will do a stopwatch/counter test later.

Soldato
How are you testing for the tint? I've tried some plain white backgrounds and i'm not really seeing it. If it's there, it's not bothering me. Maybe I don't want to look too hard lol!

Associate
Yeah, just a solid white screen, you can use an image, a monitor testing program (i.e. Eizo test) or even a Google page opened up.

Like I say, it's not overly noticeable unless it's a white or light coloured screen, but it's definitely there. I don't know if I'm particularly sensitive to this kind of stuff or what though.

Soldato
Yeah, i see what you mean. When I look for it, it is there. Not something i'm overly concerned about though to be honest. It doesn't distract me.

Soldato
I've noticed this with every U2xxx unit I've used so far. It is an issue shared amongst many IPS panels of other types, including far more expensive P-IPS models. I wouldn't worry about it at all - it only becomes apparent during white screens and I can confirm from colorimetery that it doesn't have much/any effect on colour accuracy. :)

Associate
Well got it all setup, and what can i say... Going from my TN monitor to this the colour and quality is so much better!! haven't tried any games yet will do that in a little while, I've left all the settings default, though it seems a tad too bright. So I’ve turned the brightness from 70 to 40, What did you change your brightness too crackerbear?

So far I can’t see any dead pixels, though not sure how to check this to be 100%. Also don’t seem to have backlight bleeding, but the room I’m in isn’t dark so hard to tell at the moment.

But what can I say... Going from my cheap TN monitor to this, It's so much better!

Associate
I've noticed this with every U2xxx unit I've used so far. It is an issue shared amongst many IPS panels of other types, including far more expensive P-IPS models. I wouldn't worry about it at all - it only becomes apparent during white screens and I can confirm from colorimetery that it doesn't have much/any effect on colour accuracy. :)
Yeah, I've read a lot of user comments, particularly this thread (all 53 pages of it), where probably 70-80% of people have mentioned some varying degree of tinting on the U2311H so I was expecting to see some.

I'm not going to be doing a lot of colour critical work, so it doesn't really matter in that sense, it's just if it'll become annoying in every day today use (like web browsing). I actually probably wouldn't mind it as much if the blue side was on the right instead of left as most sites and programs/menus are generally left aligned.

I've left all the settings default, though it seems a tad too bright. So I’ve turned the brightness from 70 to 40, What did you change your brightness too crackerbear?
My brightness is actually currently on 25, but I'm still messing around with the settings. I've got a bunch of settings that others have used from various places, including some that have been calibrated with hardware calibrators.

TFTCentral
for example used:

Brightness 31
Contrast 75
R 87
G 100
B 93
Custom (RGB)

Along with their ICC profile which you can get from here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

FlatPanelsHD used:

Brightness: 30
Contrast: 75
Input Color Format: RGB
Mode Selection: Graphics
Sharpness: 50
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Response time: Overdrive
RGB: Custom
• R: 99
• G: 95
• B: 98

Bear in mind even though we all have the same model monitor, there will be some small discrepancies. So what might be properly calibrated for one person/monitor, won't work perfectly (or in some cases at all) with others.

Back
Top Bottom