1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Married - Need advice please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Soogs, Jan 12, 2008.

1. ste_bla

Sgarrista

I've been married nearly a year and same age

Dont do it for the love of god :(

(only joking!)

2. <(Multi)>

Wise Guy

Married?? Soogs? matey, wow! :)

If your happy together though, thats absolutely great news. I've got a mate that married his gf after 5 months of being together - He went from having a nice easy life as a young male, to having a wife, her kid and now his kid on the way. Not saying your situation is anything like that, but he's not seeming too happy recently.

3. Tefal

Capo Crimine

my advice is the same I give to all those wishing to be wed.

except those marrying professional runners,

I advise them to use a fast car instead.

4. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

before i can judge the situation i need pics, either of both of you together, or one of each of you, after the evidence has arrived i can tell you whether or not you should do it within 5 seconds

5. Cybermyk

Soldato

I always say try to make the most of your wedding and marriage, after all it's something you'll probably only do two or three times in your life.

6. stevenazari1

PermaBanned

I love how soogs said she's standing next to him and she reads this hahahahaha

but yeah, although the uk folk have had a history of "my wife left me upon marriage", its only because uk media loves to report that sort of stuff. you never hear "I met a guy and now Im in love" programs lol, if so my parents would be on it :p so tell her to stop worrying and wait in bed. you be there soon. lol.... you just gotta check out the new reviews on the new 45nm processors ROFL!!!!!

"*Snarfle* I'll be there in a *Snarfle* second tulip, *Snarfle* I gotta check out this *Snarfle* review on the new 45 *Snarfle* nm processors *Snarfle**Snarfle*"

7. Gog

Hitman

You can get married in the UK if you have whats known as a "Certificate of Approval". Generally, these will be granted as long as the foreign national has three months or more remaining of a stay over six months. The Certificate can then be presented to the Registrar when you book the marriage.

After the marriage, if the foreign national wishes to stay in the United Kingdom they will have to apply to vary their leave to that of a spouse. This should be granted as long as you can show that it is a genuine and subsisting marriage, and as long as you can prove that there will be public funds claimed (public funds being benefits, etc). This is outlined at paragraph 284 of HC395 (the Immigration Rules) - http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part8/

Leave is normally granted for two or three years, after which time an application can be made for indefinite leave to remain (outlined at paragraph 287). British nationality can thereafter be sought after five years continuous residency.

@SCM

As long as the course of study is at degree level or higher, there usually won't be too much of an issue in getting a student visa. There's been a fair crackdown on students recently due to bogus colleges, but as long as the institution is on the DFE list of approved learning centres all should be OK.

8. danza

Capodecina

I can only recommend you listen to some Metallica to reinforce what he said.

Not really! I got married at 23. All is awesome 2 1/2 years down the line. I don't think it could easily be better, but that's not to say it's all been plain sailing (well it has, mostly!).

We were together 5 1/2 years before we took the plunge, so we knew what we wanted, and that it was right for us.

Just remember, marriage is something not to be taken lightly. If she's the one, it'll be awesome.

RIIIIIGHT ONNNNNNN!!

9. stevenazari1

PermaBanned

please bare in mind you are taking advice from a guy with a hacksaw for a signature lol

10. Amleto

Soldato

It is my understanding that your fiancee is required to send off an application for a 'certificate of approval', after which you are free to give notice etc in the normal way.

11. dieschwalbe

Associate

You should be able to get married in the UK (England), but whatever you decide to do, bloody good luck with it.

12. djohn

Hitman

Good luck to both of you Soogs. Marriage at an early age is not for everyone but both my wife and I were 19 years old when we married after knowing each other for 3 months. That was back in April 1966, [42 years this April] we had our son 7 years later and our first grandson on the 3rd of Jan this year. We've had a good life with lots of ups & downs but still wouldn't change a thing given the choice all over again. :)

13. Samiad

Gangster

Nothing to say except you get a passport in 3 years not 5. It's 5 if you remain in the UK by other means (student visa, work visa etc) but for a spouse it's accelerated to 3 years.

14. spawner

Gangster

I thought that too just by reading the topic title & looks like others think the same, I bet there all married like me haha

15. coolpunkskater

Wise Guy

thats not young i was wed at 19 kid no 1 @ 19 kid no. 2 @ 21 no. 3 @ 25 (the first 2 not realy planed lol)

16. pyro

Capodecina

Wow, dude, Soogs, you getting married! I hope it works man..:)

17. PurpleDinosaur

PermaBanned

I think that's the point people are making. Good for you if it's working out, but the majority of relationships that start like that do not.

18. SaBBz

Wise Guy

Congrats Soogs :)

That's a Iron Maiden song isn't it?

19. coolpunkskater

Wise Guy

Yea its a shame

me and my mrs knew each other for about 7 years and we're "going out" for 5 of them years so its not realy some thing we rushed into without knowing each other

but yes its something nit to rush into :D

20. Old Wino

Hitman

Last edited: May 11, 2008