Getting Married - Need advice please

Caporegime
I would be very suspicious in your situation, whose idea was it to get married? ;)

Apart from that obvious warning all the best. :)

Associate
Don't bother with the whole marriage/divorce rubbish. Cut out the middle man and find a woman you don't like and give her your house.

:p

OT: What's the need to get married? If you love each other, why not be happy with that? Live with each other etc, but I just don't see the need in getting wed, why do you need a piece of paper to act as affirmation of your love for each other? Sorry to be a bit downhearted!

Soldato
knew my girl for 7 years, we got married... stil went wrong :p Don't do it, its an unnecessary inconvenience, bad enough to split up without having to go through a divorce.

Soldato
No offence mate (good luck and all, you'll need it), but shes after passportage, 2 of my mates have been done over in exactly the same way................one way to find out for sure is, wait 2-3 years, seriously talk to her about it, and see what her reaction is.

Sorry to be blunt but it must be done, if you love her and its the real thing, why the need to marry ?

Soldato
I got married at his age. So did most people in the past. It's only within the past 20 years that we've developed the silly idea that you shouldn't get married till you're 37.

Which probably stems from fear of commitment and an inability to settle down, too busy getting drunk and screwing random girls...and the notion that women will always screw you over for money (but thats ironic given the shallowness of a lot of men).

Soldato
Couple of passages of information that maybe of interest:

The law specifies that the minimum waiting time between giving notice of intended marriage and getting married is 15 clear days. Both parties to the marriage must also have lived in their respective districts for at least 7 days before notice of marriage is given. Each person must attend, in person, the Register Office for the district in which they live to give their notice of marriage.

If the marriage is to be by civil ceremony, either in a Register Office or Approved Premises, it is not necessary for either of the parties to live in the district where the marriage is to be held. However, notice of marriage must be given in the district/s in which the couple live.

The only exception is where one of the persons getting married is terminally ill. In these circumstances the marriage can take place very quickly, sometimes on the same day that the arrangements have been made, and the marriage can take place at home, in a hospital or any other place where the party who is terminally ill happens to be.

In exceptional circumstances the Registrar General can reduce the 15 day waiting period on application by the persons getting married. This application attracts a consideration fee, likely to be £28, for each notice of marriage and there is no guarantee that an application will be successful. The Registrar General has made it clear that the reasons for reducing the waiting period will have to be good and has already stated that the fact of persons arriving from abroad and wanting to be married whilst on holiday will not be sufficient reason to reduce the waiting period. Information on making application to reduce the waiting period should be made to your local Register Office.

The second bit:

Part of the Asylum and Immigration (Treatment of Claimants) Act 2004 is due to come into force on 1st February 2005. Persons under immigration control who wish to give notice to marry on or after this date will be unable to do so unless:

They have entry clearance granted expressly for the purpose of marriage in the UK;
or They have the written permission of the Secretary of state to marry in the UK, in the form of a certificate of approval from the Home Office’s Immigration and Nationality Department;
or They fall within a class of persons specified by the Secretary of State. This will be someone with settled status in the UK (such as indefinite leave to remain).
On or after 1st February 2005 all persons under immigration control who are marrying after civil preliminaries (giving notices) must give their notice to marry at a designated Register Office. They must be accompanied by the person they wish to marry who must also give notice at the same time. These rules will apply from 1st February 2005 even if one of you has already given notice to marry.

If you and your fiance have given notice to marry on or before 31st January 2005 you will not be affected unless you change the venue for your marriage when new notices will be required.

If you OR your fiancée is a person subject to immigration control i.e. not a citizen of one of the following countries:

Austria
Belgium
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece Hungary
Iceland
Irish Republic
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands Norway
Poland
Portugal
Slovenia
Slovak Republic
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland

You may be affected by the new law unless you have a ‘certificate of entitlement to Right of Abode’

Soldato
OP
hey peeps. thanks again for all the support and info.

We got married on the 2/2/08 :D

pics: http://www.soogs.net/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=37

Shes currently in brazil sorting out her spouse visa or the other free marriage thing she was telling me about hehe. should be back with me for the 20th

in the end we had to get married in an anglican chruch as it didnt require any other forms or documents... (the cirt of approval takes up to 70 working days and we didnt have time for that)

anyways things are looking up (other than my finances lol)

thanks again for all the help :)

Associate
hey peeps. thanks again for all the support and info.

We got married on the 2/2/08 :D

pics: http://www.soogs.net/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=37

Shes currently in brazil sorting out her spouse visa or the other free marriage thing she was telling me about hehe. should be back with me for the 20th

in the end we had to get married in an anglican chruch as it didnt require any other forms or documents... (the cirt of approval takes up to 70 working days and we didnt have time for that)

anyways things are looking up (other than my finances lol)

thanks again for all the help :)

Good man!

You can't live your life in fear of what might happen, allowing it to stop what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom