Getting prosecuted from Dashcam?

Soldato
Yea and how many completely innocent people do you think weill end up getting scared and just pay up?

It literally happened to someone here on one of the above replies.
i agree..... its not great!. imo we should be able to see the evidence against us for these sort of things without going to court and without being penalised by increasing the fine. I find it hard to believe it would cost that much money have a link in the initial "offense" letter which sends you to a website which has a password which is also included in the offence letter which shows you the raw data and then allow the accused to decide if they want to pay or fight.

Soldato
I mean the evidence might be ****. It might be one of these youtube cammers that submits every such minor traffic incident and clutches at straws with every submission. Maybe the cyclist waves their fist angrily when the car barely actually gets close. Remember a lot of people are crazy. I drove past a cyclist the other day who similarly started waving his fist at me and shouting for no obvious reason.

Soldato
No wonder the police are overstretched, cyclist grasses. :cry:

Its car drivers sending in video as well as Greebo showed above. The lesson to be learnt is dont drive like a dick and show due consideration to other road users who ever they are and you will be fine. The only ones wetting their pants are likely the ones that drive like bellends / drive Audis

Last edited:
Caporegime
It
Challenge it. It seems like it would be hard to prove there wasn't a 1.5m gap from camera footage unless it was really close.

How the footage was actually handled can affect evidence as well. If the one who submitted it or the police didn't follow procedures perfectly, it can be thrown out. E.g it can't be copied from the device/memory card as that will be seen as being edited, it has to be an original to stand up as evidence. They are probably hoping you just plead guilty.
It will be an offer of a course. The videos aren’t that hard to see what’s happened

Soldato
Another reason to go to court is this:

"By making a report under operation SNAP, you understand that you may be required to attend court in order to confirm the information given in your statement. The police will be able to support you through this process. Please note that not all cases will be heard in court. Please select an option to confirm you understand and are willing or not willing to attend court"

So these cammers that submit these videos might have to go to court too. I would expect a large proportion would have ticked the "not willing" to go to court box.

Most of these fines are successful through fear of having to defend and go to court. People get scared of that, wrongly.

Soldato
OP
Another reason to go to court is this:

So these cammers that submit these videos might have to go to court too. I would expect a large proportion would have ticked the "not willing" to go to court box.

Most of these fines are successful through fear of having to defend and go to court. People get scared of that, wrongly.

Yup, I'd possibly challenge it based on the fact that the entitled little weasels won't want to stand up in court.

Soldato
Betting on them not wanting to show their face in court and the inconvenience of it is probably a good move tbh. It will be a weak case if they don't show up.

Likes the attention it gets them, but most likely won't like people knowing who they are. Especially when it's someone in their neighborhood who could point them out in future.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, I'd possibly challenge it based on the fact that the entitled little weasels won't want to stand up in court.

There you go then and the fact that only 25% were prosecuted as shown by Greebo above then if your driving is considerate to other road users there is nothing to be worried about.

Last edited:
Soldato
i dont doubt some of them are weasels....... but at the same time they ARE entitled to not have drivers cut them up or force them up the kerb etc (just as car drivers should have the same entitlement from idiot cyclists who do not think that road rules apply to them as well).

there is nothing inherently wrong with catching a bad driver / cyclist / pedestrian and submitting the evidence to the police.

Soldato
OP
i dont doubt some of them are weasels....... but at the same time they ARE entitled to not have drivers cut them up or force them up the kerb etc (just as car drivers should have the same entitlement from idiot cyclists who do not think that road rules apply to them as well).

there is nothing inherently wrong with catching a bad driver / cyclist / pedestrian and submitting the evidence to the police.

Fair enough.

I just know in the case of my mate he is a good driver, hes in his 60's used to be in the Air Force and and certainly not a boy racer. OK fine I wasnt in the car when it happened, he doesn't even remember the incident himself so I am not saying for certain that what happened wasnt dangerous or whatever, but I am FAR more inclined to believe it was some entitled little weasal with a chip on their shoulder having a power trip.

Soldato
Fair enough.

I just know in the case of my mate he is a good driver, hes in his 60's used to be in the Air Force and and certainly not a boy racer. OK fine I wasnt in the car when it happened, he doesn't even remember the incident himself so I am not saying for certain that what happened wasnt dangerous or whatever, but I am FAR more inclined to believe it was some entitled little weasal with a chip on their shoulder having a power trip.

Especially when they are spamming numerous reports weekly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of the cammers on youtube are actually terrible, terrible drivers. It's quite funny really. Charging on regardless and out of stubbornness in "their" lane, knowing they are about to get cut up but it's their right of way. Yeah well done mate, you've had an avoidable accident, but at least it's on camera.

Soldato
There has been occasional instances of scammers sending out letters purporting
if the notification provided a valid place & time for the incident , they would need to know a lot about you, even to associate reg plate & your address.

Man of Honour
if the notification provided a valid place & time for the incident , they would need to know a lot about you, even to associate reg plate & your address.

They'd just send a bunch out with details close enough some people would just pay up rather than deal with the hassle of it.

Associate
Fair enough.

Not sure how it's a power trip when the footage would have been reviewed by the Police and they felt that the standard of driving was poor enough to issue an NIP.

Soldato
It’s also worth considering that the person who is submitting 4-5 clips a week may well be getting close passed 4-5 times a week.

People keep banging on about how bad driving standards are, and they are not getting better.

4-5 a week is <1 per day, if you do a decent commute on the road, I’d be surprised if you were not close passed at least once on that commute.

Soldato
The general advice is not to use cycle lanes if you are travelling above 15mph either, guidance specifically says that for speeds above 15mph then cyclists should be using the road, not cycle paths.
The irony being that e-scooters go way faster on footpaths!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure how it's a power trip when the footage would have been reviewed by the Police and they felt that the standard of driving was poor enough to issue an NIP.

Exactly. The NIP will show the date, time and location as well as the charge. From that the registered keeper should be able to determine if they were likely to have been driving, or if not them then who was. Also if it is not local you have the potential for cloned plates.

All of this is contained in the NIP and if you choose to dispute it then you will get to see the evidence at some point.

It should be noted that a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) is not saying you will be prosecuted, but may be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fair enough.

If he doesn't remember it then maybe he didn't see the cyclist (everyone can make a mistake) and genuinely was too close, through nothing other than a mistake/misjudgment.

Back
Top Bottom