Gf being pushed/managed out of her job - looking to be signed off.. Any advice to help?

Caporegime
OP
I was looking for a job for months and months before I even found something, lived off nothing for 3 months. UC wouldn't give me anything for 2 months because they said I earned too much. When they where first rolling it out so had nothing. Until UC started rolling out mainstream.

To be honest OP I would evaluate to see if you can manage on one wage, tell her just to leave on good accord and use the time to give her a break if you can keep her up and stable that's the main priority.

Might be time to evaluate outgoings.

Done this calculation before. It would be no life. Living hand to mouth. Life is crippled enough as it is with her other medical stuff. I think I'd end up giving up myself.

I'm struggling already with gfs medical and mental issues. To have the financial pressure too? I think it'd break me. By that I mean my mental health issues I work hard to keep in check

Obviously could survive for a time. But savings would go.

Soldato
So she has been offered a job. But she is concerned about absence.

She's doing references now. And was considering not putting most recent (2 years).

I think she has to. If she doesn't will look like deliberate hiding of something.

Her absence falls into two distinct categories

Stress (she's had 7 days off)
Ongoing back/hip 'issues'.
This was significant. And months (4?)

This is not cured. It has taken a lot from her.

She's obviously concerned this may remove the offer.

I didn't want to suggest the wrong thing and be blamed for her losing the job. But I strongly suspect she should list her most recent despite the sickness.
What references are they asking for? At the larger firms it is strictly mechanical. I have an auto request template for example, and it simply says "dLockers worked here between months X and Y" and that's it. Have they specifically asked for colleagues to vouch for her?

Caporegime
OP
What references are they asking for? At the larger firms it is strictly mechanical. I have an auto request template for example, and it simply says "dLockers worked here between months X and Y" and that's it. Have they specifically asked for colleagues to vouch for her?

I'm not sure. Theyve only just asked in last 20 minutes. I'll ask.

That's also what I hoped they'd ask. I've actually never seen the references that have been asked of me.

Edit.
They haven't been explicit. Just 2 references. Including current employer.

Caporegime
OP
I'd clarify what they're expecting to see. One is a HR request, the other is someone she hand picks to back her?

I agree it's ambiguous. I asked if she'd ask them. She said she didn't want to.

I've suggested she ask current hr what reference they give.

I'd be surprised if it's any more than started X, ended Y, job title Z

Doesn't help shes working herself up about it again. Worrying they might ask about performance and stuff. Which I said is not gonna happen.

Caporegime
OP
She's overthinking things massively. Just provide two references. One for the previous and one for current employment. What else can you do?

This is the spiral she's gotten herself into.
I had to say.

Stop being so negative. You have no control. Vast majority of time they are gonna ask for dates and title. Your company isn't going to make it difficult for you to leave. They aren't going to open themselves up to being sued. Your manager likely wants you gone.

I couldn't definitely say.

Like you say, she has no choice. she's not going to retract her acceptance. So just got to risk it

It's amazing what a negative attitude can do to you. It's first time in really seeing it full on as an adult. I've had it myself. But it's a bit of an eye-opener having to say 'stop being so negative'.

Very draining!

Soldato
It's amazing what a negative attitude can do to you. It's first time in really seeing it full on as an adult. I've had it myself. But it's a bit of an eye-opener having to say 'stop being so negative'.
My wife is doing this at the moment - everything is too much and she can't see the wood through the trees, so instead of logical thinking it's emotional responses where basically nothing is right. It's tough to get through and often we try and solve these things and end up being wrong, too. It's very hard to deal with a partner like this I know. Just try to do a bit at a time to build up their confidence again, try and get them to drop the things they cannot control, but again, not easy process.

Soldato

This seems to pretty much be the way for most of the bigger companies these days. In fact i think HR prevent you from providing a personal reference, if you did a personal reference, it's not on behalf of the company. So it's just a template from HR to say employee X worked here from Date Y to Z.

Caporegime
OP
My wife is doing this at the moment - everything is too much and she can't see the wood through the trees, so instead of logical thinking it's emotional responses where basically nothing is right. It's tough to get through and often we try and solve these things and end up being wrong, too. It's very hard to deal with a partner like this I know. Just try to do a bit at a time to build up their confidence again, try and get them to drop the things they cannot control, but again, not easy process.

It's really hard. It's usually me who's on the negative side. She's like a yoyo at the moment. The day she got the job she was super excited and hyper. Today she got locked into mindset where you'd think she basically lost it.

And last thing I wanted to do was say 'do this' and it be wrong and be blamed

Associate
Many companies are desperate to recruit candidates they think can do the job. Recruiting can be a pain in the ass. If she passed the interview they clearly think she can do the job and fit in. I wouldn't worry so much about references as most are handled by HR to be generic and say almost nothing. Not worth getting worked up till you know the outcome. Also I;ve seen candidates reach out to employees about issues the came up from references and checks and a good explanation often squared away the issue.

Caporegime
OP
Revisiting this. Gf hasn't had any contact from company since verbal offer was made.

She's again getting anxious as it's been nearly 2 weeks and thinks there might be an issue with references.

I'm not sure if this is anything unusual or not. It does actually seem like a long time to me.

She has emailed to check in but no replies. Which is only making it worse.

Cause for concern or not?
Probably one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions

Soldato
Could be literally anything, but I realised the other day when in a situation where I was overthinking massively about something; the fear of the unknown is a real killer. When we don't have all the information, we try and draw lines between information when we have huge gaps so just come up with the worst case. It's really horrible, so I get it. I'd say you can do what you can to chase (I hate how these processes leave people without consideration) but that's all you can do. You equally don't want to come across as a bit desperate! It's a tough balance I know.

Caporegime
Revisiting this. Gf hasn't had any contact from company since verbal offer was made.

She's again getting anxious as it's been nearly 2 weeks and thinks there might be an issue with references.

I'm not sure if this is anything unusual or not. It does actually seem like a long time to me.

She has emailed to check in but no replies. Which is only making it worse.

Cause for concern or not?
Probably one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions
If she hasn’t had any response for 3-4 days to her last email does she have a contact number for someone she can call? Emails are easily forgotten or missed, especially in an office which has more work than they can manage. It could be seen as a positive if she words it right. ‘I just wanted to check you got my email, I’m very excited about the possibilities at company name.

Caporegime
OP
If she hasn’t had any response for 3-4 days to her last email does she have a contact number for someone she can call? Emails are easily forgotten or missed, especially in an office which has more work than they can manage. It could be seen as a positive if she words it right. ‘I just wanted to check you got my email, I’m very excited about the possibilities at company name.

She's phoned. Got an answer machine. It's getting rough have to say. It's not great not being able to get in contact. She's also been invited to an event she needs details for.

Told her to lead with needing details for the event and to tack on an update request for references

Permabanned
She's phoned. Got an answer machine. It's getting rough have to say. It's not great not being able to get in contact. She's also been invited to an event she needs details for.

Told her to lead with needing details for the event and to tack on an update request for references

The person could just be on vacation and it's not unusual for these things to take some time if there are other checks that need to be done. Either way, it's out of yours/her control atm so not much can be done except for wait.

Caporegime
OP
The person could just be on vacation and it's not unusual for these things to take some time if there are other checks that need to be done. Either way, it's out of yours/her control atm so not much can be done except for wait.

Yeah that's the line I keep peddling to her. Nothing else you can do. They may just be slow/disorganised/non urgent to them.

Doesn't help though! She's still. Working herself up. But not really anything else can do

Back
Top Bottom