Ghost in the Shell (2017) (Scarlett Johansson)

Soldato
I'll be interested to see how good this is as I liked the original films, although preferred the SAC TV series'.

Live action adaptations of anime/manga tend to be a bit hit and miss though, at least those done by western studios ... I have seen recently some very good live action adaptations done by Japanese studios (e.g. Chihayafuru)

Soldato
So, Mamoru Oshii, gives this film his stamp of approval, just as James Cameron did with Terminator Genisys. Well that's a relief. I was concerned this film was going to turn out to be rubbish. ;)

Caporegime
I watched the Amine thing when i was a kid/teenager. I dont remember it all tbh.

Is this version going to be loyal to the cartoon ?

What are they assassin robots with human consciousness inside them ?

Caporegime
wasnt big fan of anime but did watch quite a bit of ghost and few other series.she is hot.:D

so futuristic hot lady in tight shoot with great camera work should be ace.:cool:

Commissario
I watched the Amine thing when i was a kid/teenager. I dont remember it all tbh.

Basically they're something like MI5 (James Bond/Spooks version not real life;)) in a world where cybernetics are normal, full body cyborgs are not too unusual and they have the ability to download their consciousness into different bodies.

With Major Kusanagi (Johanson's character) being an ex special forces member who was one of the youngest people to get such a body and is one of the best at using it, and hacking into other people's cybernetics (so she can see/hear what others are doing, if not outright take control of their bodies).
In the anime series and books it's mentioned that one of the reasons she's a special operative is because the bodies are very expensive to maintain, especially the top of the line ones that look most human and give the best feedback (basically to afford one privately you have to be rich or a serious criminal, so being part of an elite military/security unit is about the only way a non rich law abiding person can get them).

So think James Bond but with the ability to swap bodies and hack into virtually anything (with the risk of being hacked yourself).

That's probably a really bad explanation but I'm tired :)

It's one of my favourite sci-fi series, let alone anime (although I've yet to catch the latest series "arise" and newest anime film).

Soldato

I read something not so long back, that it's a different story that what we saw in the anime; but looking at the trailer, it looks like similar to the original GiTS anime. Going by what I've seen, it's based on the Puppet Master story. I wouldn't be surprised if they have changed a certain amount though, so it's probably loosely based on that.

They are cyborgs who are part of an intelligence division known as Section 9, that deals with terrorism and cyber crime. Many (maybe all) of those in section 9 have a certain number of cyborg prosthesis and parts, but Kusanagi is the only one whose only remaining human part is her brain in encased in an entire robotic body.

Just looking at the cast listing, has the character just called 'The Major'. I wonder if they don't mention her name at all? Maybe as an attempt to distance having a caucasion woman with a Japanese name?

Soldato
Awesome.

I think it may be lost on anyone who has not seen the original anime movie, maybe it wont but perosnally Im really looking forward to it. The anime is still one of the my all time favourite movies so a live action version and SJ in a skintight body suit ticks every box for me.

One - being hopeful - observation from the trailer, it did not feature the spider battle tank from the anime, I wonder if any tank/mech combat is in the movie?

EDIT - Actually, rewatching the trailer, there is a very quick snippet of Kusanagi (SJ) running from gunfire and hiding behind a pillar which was in the original battle tank scene. Fingers crossed!

Loved the shallow water and thermo optic camouflage scene in the trailer, glad they included that - ala https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WAoLiKHtnM

Last edited:
Commissario
Just looking at the cast listing, has the character just called 'The Major'. I wonder if they don't mention her name at all? Maybe as an attempt to distance having a caucasion woman with a Japanese name?

I vaguely remember in the manga/anime that some of the characters generally refer to her as the major more than by her name.

Back
Top Bottom