Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Caporegime
OP
The hard-core fans on all the forums and FB groups I'm a member of are certainly not batching about fan service at all. Most people love the film.

gbfans site has quite a few moaners. Seen quiite a few essay like posts on what was "wrong" and how they would do it better and fan service overdrive etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Must be an overall very small amount of fans. Especially as everyone moaned that 2016 didn't have enough fan service.

I feel Afterlife had the right balance of new stuff mixed with old and everything we loved about the 2 80s films.

Caporegime
OP
Must be an overall very small amount of fans. Especially as everyone moaned that 2016 didn't have enough fan service.

I feel Afterlife had the right balance of new stuff mixed with old and everything we loved about the 2 80s films.

2016 was just crap on every level, Melissa McCarthy's voice is reason enough to avoid watching.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Felt like a natural update to Ghostbusters, good jokes, obviously featured the old crew, references to the first films and characters directly connected to the original crew too. SFX was also really cool and great cinematography and use of the power packs etc.

Soldato
Massive Ghostbusters fan here. Just saw the film and immediately pre-ordered it on iTunes for some atmos goodness. I haven’t seen any reviews but wouldn’t be surprised if negative YT clickbait video reviews immediately hit the net in order to get those hits and likes. This is the way.

Thought the film was brilliant overall. It would have been nice to see more about what Egon was upto but overall I loved every minute of it. The bassline massive sounds of the proton pack initially made my Twinkie excited and seeing those gorgeous neon streams again was awesome. The whole film had fantastic visuals and audio. As mentioned above, Jason nailed it. He used to watch his father on the set of the original GB so his heart was always in the right place for this film.

I thought Phoebe, Podcast, Grooberman and the mum were very enjoyable to watch especially the former as she wasn’t too OTT in embracing the science around her in that dusty mansion.

I’ve always said that GB The Video game was the third film as the lore in that was fantastic. I have spoken.

Soldato
Is the game worth a play then? I got it free on Epic Games and it's in my library just never got round to installing it!
Yep, it goes into a lot of lore regarding Ivo Shandor. The whole cast is back for voice overs too. I’ve been meaning to replay it but never had the chance.

As said, if you’re a fan then you will enjoy it.

Caporegime
OP
Yep, it goes into a lot of lore regarding Ivo Shandor. The whole cast is back for voice overs too. I’ve been meaning to replay it but never had the chance.

As said, if you’re a fan then you will enjoy it.

The game was also considered the third movie and canon until afterlife came out, there's even arguments about that online now with people saying it's still canon, thats despite the movie having events in it that contradict elements in the game. The big one being gozer returning in 1991.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well just tried the game out and let's just say it's uninstalled. Whilst I really liked the sets and lore etc, the resolution does not work right on 21:9, text at the top of the screen is chopped off, the frames are only 30fps or 60fps and there's mouse lag when moving around!

It feels like it's made for PS3/Xbox 360 and directly ported over with some mouse/kb support :/

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So is the previous GB movie considered non-canon?
That woke BS? Pretty sure that isn’t canon :cry:

Not seeing anyone talking about the post credit scene yet… I thought it hinted at another film although…

Winston talked about the fire house being a Starbucks now, so how was the containment grid still in the firehouse and what happened to the Starbucks? :p

Soldato
Just watched it today with the kids. They both really enjoyed it, especially the mini marshmallow men. Obviously a lot if the references went over their heads but I got a lot, thought they did a good job with egon.

Caporegime
OP

Winston talked about the fire house being a Starbucks now, so how was the containment grid still in the firehouse and what happened to the Starbucks? :p

It was Ray who said that, basically just playing off the joke that those stores are everywhere.

Soldato
Well just tried the game out and let's just say it's uninstalled. Whilst I really liked the sets and lore etc, the resolution does not work right on 21:9, text at the top of the screen is chopped off, the frames are only 30fps or 60fps and there's mouse lag when moving around!

It feels like it's made for PS3/Xbox 360 and directly ported over with some mouse/kb support :/
It originally came out on PS3 and X360 in 2009. The remastered game came out 10 years later and a PC version was created. The used higher resolution textures and increased the game resolution to HD.

Caporegime
OP
Just watched it today with the kids. They both really enjoyed it, especially the mini marshmallow men. Obviously a lot if the references went over their heads but I got a lot, thought they did a good job with egon.

The mini pufts were hilarious, any scene theyre in its worth watching multiple times as theres so much going on you spot new things over and over. :D

Associate
Some decent nods to the original but felt too much like a kids movie. Still better than The Matrix (very low bar).

Caporegime
I enjoyed it very much and it was great fan service and you can really see how the CGI has improved on faces.

Only bit I was confused by was the very end credit sequence where
Ernie Hudson directed Ecto-1 into what seemed like the Firehouse but it was apparently a Starbucks now? Unless it was a different Firehouse?

Back
Top Bottom