Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Associate
A little note in case anyone else has come across this problem.

I was having an issue where the bluetooth chip could not be found once the laptop had been put to sleep and woken up again. This turned out to be a problem with Windows (or the way the driver was handling windows power management).

I turned off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" within device manager and I've had no problem with it since then.

Associate
when I’m dropping over £2k I don’t want any bottlenecks

That's going to cost you way more than £2K. :)

Don't think I don't understand where you're coming from; I spent 3 months researching laptops before I realised that you can get seriously lost in benchmarks that don't really speak to the average user's overall experience. You need to figure out what's really important to you and then figure out the laptop that was designed with the same priorities in mind. One of my priorities was to have good enough now and be able to make it better later, so this design choice was a strong selling point for me.

If dual-channel memory is a priority for you then there may be a better deal out there than an AERO 15X + an extra chip. It's not the GB reps' job to figure that out for you. On the other hand, if you want no compromises and you're willing to pay what it takes, they'll happily help you find an AORUS that fits the bill.

Associate
As I said before mate, performance impact goes from negligible to 5-30%, it impacts performance depending on the load. And when I’m dropping more than £2k, I’d rather have no bottlenecks.

As I’ve also said, I’m not knocking anyone’s who’s bought it, I’m sure they’re enjoying their laptop.

Some people seem to be viewing this from a defensive, rather than objective standpoint; it’s odd.

I'm not being defensive, I'm trying to explain my viewpoint, having wasted a lot of time and effort on chasing meaningless scores over real world performance. And you will always have a bottleneck in a device, so "no bottlenecks" does not make sense.

In most situations you will not be running your cpu/gpu at 100% power on this, or any, laptop. It is a slim device: heat or maybe fan noise will become an issue before memory in 99% of cases. You'll smash all the sliders up to 11, run 3dmark, then put it all on normal mode and forget "gaming" mode exists.

There will be niche instances where the RAM is a bottleneck if you stay with 1x16gb - if that is a deal breaker for you specifically, and you do not foresee needing 32gb RAM then this is not the laptop for you, and the MSI or Razer (glossy screen :eek:) is maybe more suitable.

Associate
Some people seem to be viewing this from a defensive, rather than objective standpoint

If there is defensiveness, it's not defending our purchasing decisions, it's defending the reps who have done a great job for us here.

But, honestly, I don't think anyone really understands what you're looking for here. You asked for the reason behind the design choice; we've answered that. If you need confirmation from a rep, we've told you it's further up the thread. If we can help you more then we will, but please don't harass the reps cause we appreciate them and would really like to not lose them.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Quite. But when I’m dropping over £2k I don’t want any bottlenecks ;)

I’m not knocking those who’ve got it, I’m sure it’s a great machine and you’re having a blast. For me it’s a shame, I don’t need 32gb. For others it’s a boon and that’s fine.

Was just hoping the rep would chime in.

Hi @WantoN - sorry for the delay in response, been catching up this morning and although we read your post last week, must have gone off at tangent and forgotten to respond. Ooops :(

Thanks to @YeWhoEnter & @Prozn for giving your opinions and views as owners, appreciated.

So, yes the question has been asked in the past, and we think we spoke about it when we launched the spec, and the rational behind the decision - that's not why we didn't reply however :eek:

In essence, because of high RAM prices, currency situation also pushing it even higher, we felt that although there will be some "performance" differences for certain tasks when using single channel memory Vs dual channel, the trade off between that, and offering end users a machine with a single stick of 16GB and the ability to upgrade in the future was "felt" to be the better and more "thoughtful" way to design the machine. It "appears" to have been welcomed by the market, although we accept that some users will not agree.

It is easy to upgrade the RAM and SSD inside AERO15 as both the spare M.2 bay and DIMM slots are on the side of the motherboard facing you, when you remove the base of the chassis. (Unlike a competitor model, where these are on the underside and therefore requiring whole motherboard to be removed to perform the upgrade)

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with, apologies for the delayed reply, and thanks for your interest in AERO15.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Soldato

Brilliant, thanks for clarifying mate. This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. As I said before, it’s great to see active reps doing a super job, much appreciated. I don’t think there’s another company that puts as much work into supporting forum members as you do.

I’ve decided to keep my laptop for office work (it’s an older i5 x360) and purchase a laptop specifically for gaming; one for meetings, one for travel.

Good news is (hawk on the trackpad aside) the Aorus looks excellent and if I can convince myself to spend the extra dollar I’ll be getting the x7 dt v8. If not it’s between the aero or the Razer.

Quick question, does replacing drives or repasting affect warranty?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Brilliant, thanks for clarifying mate. This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. As I said before, it’s great to see active reps doing a super job, much appreciated. I don’t think there’s another company that puts as much work into supporting forum members as you do.

I’ve decided to keep my laptop for office work (it’s an older i5 x360) and purchase a laptop specifically for gaming; one for meetings, one for travel.

Good news is (hawk on the trackpad aside) the Aorus looks excellent and if I can convince myself to spend the extra dollar I’ll be getting the x7 dt v8. If not it’s between the aero or the Razer.

Quick question, does replacing drives or repasting affect warranty?

Thanks again.

Hi @WantoN,

Thanks for the positive feedback, it's appreciated by our team :)

Opening our units (Gigabyte or AORUS) will not void your warranty. Upgrading / installing additional RAM/SSD, is also fine. Repasting, fine.

The parts installed are obviously not covered by our 2 year warranty, and "customer induced damage" caused when performing such tasks is also not covered, so we suggest a level of experience / competence is required before performing such tasks.

Hope that clarifies,,,, and sways you towards and AERO + AORUS combo :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Keep us posted and let us know if any further Q's.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Soldato
Hi @WantoN,
Opening our units (Gigabyte or AORUS) will not void your warranty. Upgrading / installing additional RAM/SSD, is also fine. Repasting, fine.

The parts installed are obviously not covered by our 2 year warranty, and "customer induced damage" caused when performing such tasks is also not covered, so we suggest a level of experience / competence is required before performing such tasks.

Excellent news thanks mate, I’m delighted that all is covered. I’ve worked in electronics for years, and repasted my x360, so hopefully I’ll be fine with the Aorus.

I think I’m going to get the x7 v8. I take it I can’t order it with a 2.5” sata SSD rather than the HDD?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Excellent news thanks mate, I’m delighted that all is covered. I’ve worked in electronics for years, and repasted my x360, so hopefully I’ll be fine with the Aorus.

I think I’m going to get the x7 v8. I take it I can’t order it with a 2.5” sata SSD rather than the HDD?

Hi @ WantonN - that's correct, the spec listed is as it comes, we cant offer bespoke variations.

Thanks again for considering AORUS, and let us know if anything else we can help with.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
@Atom80

Do you have any info on stock supplies of AERO 15X V8-CF1 for August? :D

I'm not due back into the country until mid august and would like to try again and purchase the AERO 15X V8-CF1. :)

Tried back in May, but unfortunately left the country before stock available for my order so had to cancel order. :rolleyes:

Whatever happens I'll be buying a laptop as it looks like my X5 SSD(s) died on me while out in Kazakhstan. :(

Aero is deff my 1st choice, but if not available will have to buy something else. :(

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80

Do you have any info on stock supplies of AERO 15X V8-CF1 for August? :D

I'm not due back into the country until mid august and would like to try again and purchase the AERO 15X V8-CF1. :)

Tried back in May, but unfortunately left the country before stock available for my order so had to cancel order. :rolleyes:

Whatever happens I'll be buying a laptop as it looks like my X5 SSD(s) died on me while out in Kazakhstan. :(

Aero is deff my 1st choice, but if not available will have to buy something else. :(

HI @Scorpuk - difficult to say on the availability by the time you return, however we can certainly confirm that stock will start landing back in the UK from next week. Suggest keeping an eye on the stock levels and judge the timing of your order accordingly.

Safe trip and let us know if there is anything we can assist with.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
HI @Scorpuk - difficult to say on the availability by the time you return, however we can certainly confirm that stock will start landing back in the UK from next week. Suggest keeping an eye on the stock levels and judge the timing of your order accordingly.

Safe trip and let us know if there is anything we can assist with.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Cheers @Atom80

Already out in Kazakhstan. Doing a 3 month trip this time round. :(

Bit of a bummer as my Aorus X5 has died, posted in Aorus Owner's Lounge looking for info on what M.2 I can stick in it, but might just go for SATA to be on the safe side; i.e. same type that's in it.

Can get a Samsung EVO 500GB for around 72,800 ₸. Sounds a lot, but about same price as UK. ;)

I'd look to getting the Aero sent out here direct, but customs would probably delay it for a few months. :)

Tnx.

Soldato
Ok, this is what im talking about... Finally, a slim, lightweight heavyweight in a discrete package. This could be my Christmas present to myself. 15.6" tick, Slim bezel, light at 2.1kgs tick, powerful gpu tick, reasonable temps, low (for a gaming laptop!) noise and battery life, 512gb SSD tick! Supposedly 10% down on a full fat gtx1070, but a decent improvement on the GTX1060.

@Atom80 Can you verify the whether or not the laptop allows Optimus? Any idea of release the date? Also, can I ask you to look at the comments made by people at the end of this Hexus review, echoes exactly my sentiment towards garish 'gaming' laptops.
I think Aorus/Gigabyte truly have a winner here, well done.

Link to Hexus Review: https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/laptop/110294-gigabyte-aero-15x/?page=9
did u end up buying it? if so does it come wit the new coffee lake processors?

Associate
OP
Yes and yes. Its an excellent laptop and I stand by what I said about Gigabyte having a winner with their Aero 15x v8. Its just simply very very good. A little loud with fans on 100% but the fans don't run at 100% in World of Tanks or while rendering in fusion360 and I usually use a headset anyway for music and sound so it not something i notice.

Battery life is superb and my only complaints are re the gigabyte logo not being switchable or dimmable/more discrete and the power jack not being a 90 degree connector (it pokes out into your mouse space if right handed) but if i'm going to be completely honest it doesn't affect me at all in real usage as ergonomically my mouse hand is usually spaced further out to the right than this if I have sufficient desk space, its only an issue on flights where I have limited table space. A power jack placed to the rear or as i said with a 90 degree connector would alleviate the issue completely. I haven't had an issue with this next point yet either but I would like to see the laptop with one more USB port (it has 3, typically taken up by wireless mouse, wireless headset and a charger lead in my normal usage which doesn't allow for say a printer or other peripheral, that said I can always swap out one device for another. I should mention that the power adapter comes with an additional usb port for charging devices and I do use it more than I thought I would and is a welcome addition)

These are all minor points in the greater scheme of things. I'm happier with this laptop than any other I've possessed. (I've had 7 or 8 in total over the last 25 years) Performance wise, its the first laptop I've owned that doesn't compromise on graphics settings/fps, SSD/HDD speed, doesn't throttle, and i've yet to have it shut down due to insufficient battery (between making it to a power outlet) It's lightweight, slim and totally portable without any performance compromise.

Last edited:
Associate
i thought TBT3 can deliver way more then that?

How does apple manage it on there 15 inch models?
yes the highest spec would be 100W but all power circuit also the component has to be redesigned like charging IC, battery also the power adapter
however the biggest problem is that it will lead the chassy extremely thicker so we just skip it

Associate
A couple of questions for @Atom80 and @baloney

1) Where can I buy additional power supplies for the Aero 15x please? I could use a couple of spares.

2) I've noticed a very faint clicking noise that has just recently started coming from the rear of the laptop, it sounds like 5 or 6 clicks in quick succession, then nothing for 5 seconds or so then it starts again. Is this one of the fans on it's way out?

Back
Top Bottom