Gigabyte G34WQC - 1440p ultrawide

Associate
Hopefully I have one on order, a rival store says they are getting stock in 22nd hope it’s the same here. I get my new PC on Monday so delivery Wednesday would be great :)

Associate
This is the monitor I randomly stumbled across the other day when pondering ultrawides ... though I've clearly gotten 2k and 1440p and stuff mixed up a bit ... I saw some comments about it being similar to that AOC one but a bit brighter and 100 quid cheaper (prices on the AOC one seemed to have inflated after it got good reviews or something) ... but no big review site doing stuff on it (I looked at the 2 videos posted here, though one was copyrighted so didn't work).

I wonder if it'd require a 3070 or 3080 to really full drive it at 144hz with all the bells and whistles turned on in a game.

Though I'm probably putting the cart before the horse as I've gotta wait for zen 3 to come out and then see if I really want to pull the trigger on putting a build together when I've got nothing coming in, as discontent as I am with my 9 year old laptop, haha.

Associate
For me this gigabyte is a better choice compared to the aoc, based on all the infos, reviews, opinions, price, hdr, gsync... I could see until now.
To run an ultrawide 144fps, 3080 is clearly the best value card to take at the moment, even if only 10gb memory, especially if you think about upgrading your rig soon.

Associate
To run an ultrawide 144fps, 3080 is clearly the best value card to take at the moment.

Yeah initially I was just thinking about a regular 1440p setup and saw some talk about 3070 maybe being a good option there and 3080 being more for 4k stuff... but then I somehow stumbled down an ultrawide rabbithole while trying to make a list of considerations I needed to weigh up, and as someone with no interest in competitive stuff and just likes being immersed in things it seems like it'd suit... I had a quick google of the top 15 or so games that I've not been able to play on my old tech and it seems like pretty much all now have ultrawide support (though sometimes it wasn't natively supported until months after they released) ... I'm wondering how that trend will go in the future and if it's becoming more commonplace for games to have it on release or not...

One of the main features I'm interested in the RTX cards about though is DLSS (the other being RTX I/O which we don't seem to know much about atm) as if/when I put something together it probably won't get updated for a decade so at some point squeezing every drop of performance out of things really matters ... and when looking around it seems maybe with the 1.0 version ultrawides got the short end of the stick... and I've not seen any complaints since 2.0 (which is when it became good) but not certain that ultrawides can always use it where any other resolution could or the whole deal there.

But I reckon with the shortage of supply of things and it being best to wait until zen 3 is out and whatnot I'll maybe hold off until the new year just want to get an idea of what I'll try to do...

All these things though like curved monitors / ultrawide, mechanical keyboards, VR ... it's really hard to judge how you'll feel about it until you're using one and it'd be rough to burn that money then not be into it, haha.

Associate
I started pleying on ultrawide 34 3440x1440 in early 2015. Will never go back to smaller monitors.
And now, with ultrawide 1440p at 120 hz, 144hz, it is a good step up.

Games are nearly all compatible for those resolutions.

Question of budget

Associate
Question of budget

Honestly at £400 for a 144Hz screen then this one seems like it's a reasonable rather than massively extravagant purchase (even if it's still a ton of money to me personally)... I think the non-ultrawide Asus one that was the top pick on PCGamer was more costly ... but I suppose budget also needs to include a PC beefy enough to run it...

Soldato
In 5 years time 4K will be more mainstream and I don’t see 8K ever appearing on smallish monitors. In 5 years even mid range cards will be decent enough at 4K. I’m buying 4K for now and the future.

Associate
New review

Edit: Oh, well didn't really cover much.

Edit 2: Apparently Gigabyte have removed the G-Sync compatible branding from the product page on their website.

Associate
Outch. If they did that : remove the gsync compatible... it is clearly a NO GO for me ! Thx for the info !
https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/G34WQC#kf

BYE BYE THIS MONITOR !!! Not Clear !

On their website, gsync disapeared... And on a french website, question was asked and answered :
Capture.png

Next post in french it is said :

I conclude the Gsync compatible ready will allow 100% compatibility with gsync but not yet validated by Nvidia ?

Answer : "registration form" has already been sent to Nvidia but it will take time to check and update infos on their website. Concerning the functionality, we have testes gsync and we can confirm the compatibility for it. If you are worried, you can wait until Nvidia publishes info on their website.

30297467.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Well I'm going to get it anyway as for 4K yes that is the future and I want to go 4K 144mhz one day but the price is still too high for the screen size you get so will wait a couple more years and then maybe I can get the Gigabyte spec at 4K for this price and still pay less in total than a single 27" 4K 144 screen now.

Associate
surely it just awaits compatability confirm from nvidia, gigabyte say its compatible

Yeah that doesn't seem too alarming, especially as I'm waiting to put together a build anyway so can see how it fares for people... so this remains a clear first in potential monitors for me, for now at least, I guess stuff could change over the next couple months.

Associate
Well, just got confirmation from Overclockers that my one has shipped, so at least another batch of the pre-orders seem to be on the way.

I'll be using it with a 2080ti, so will see how well gsync works etc. Fingers crossed everything is good.

Associate
Well, just got confirmation from Overclockers that my one has shipped, so at least another batch of the pre-orders seem to be on the way.

I'll be using it with a 2080ti, so will see how well gsync works etc. Fingers crossed everything is good.

yes mine a well and a brand new system Ryzen 7 with a 3080 which I had to get elsewhere as I couldn’t get an order through OC on Friday and their systems were very hard to search through, I hoped they’d have some new systems under 2K but they didn’t. So well let you know, I have had TN and IPS this will be my first VA

Associate
Got my confirmation too, it's arriving tomorrow.

Will post my thoughts and first impressions coming from a 27" TN.

Fingers crossed no dead/stuck pixels and backlight bleed that's not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom