Gigabyte M28u two dead pixels on arrival.

Soldato
Just opened my Christmas pressy (Gigabyte M28u)
Unfortunately it has 2 dead pixels. One bottom left which isnt too bad but the second is a black pixel right in the middle of the screen, very noticeable once you've seen it once. Is this grounds for an RMA? I mean it's faulty so I assume so?

Associate
Just opened my Christmas pressy (Gigabyte M28u)
Unfortunately it has 2 dead pixels. One bottom left which isnt too bad but the second is a black pixel right in the middle of the screen, very noticeable once you've seen it once. Is this grounds for an RMA? I mean it's faulty so I assume so?

TV & Monitor Pixel Policy

Please be aware that all of our Suppliers and thus Overclockers UK conform to the ISO 9241-302 standard - the acceptable number of dead pixels based on screen size and resolution. Information on this can be found through any major search engine typing "ISO 9241-302" and the monitor brand name. Products with dead pixels of equal to or less than those defined within the ISO 9241-302 standard will not be accepted for return.

I don't think 2 dead pixels would qualify as faulty but it won't hurt to ask through a webticket. If they say no you can still return it within the 14 days return period which I think is extended for Christmas gifts, but you'd have to pay for return shipping.

Soldato
OP
Jesus. It's slap bang in the middle of the screen
Even visible in game. Shouldn't be putting up with that in 2022. How did we end up in a situation where we agree that a defective product is ok?

Soldato
OP
PXL-20221225-155336355.jpg

Screenshot-20221225-155411.png

Associate
Jesus. It's slap bang in the middle of the screen
Even visible in game. Shouldn't be putting up with that in 2022. How did we end up in a situation where we agree that a defective product is ok?
I think anyone that purchased it would be in agreement that it is defective. Obviously it's more profitable for the manufacturer to try and sell defective units for full price which is why they made up their acceptable dead pixel policies.

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel your pain mate. In situations like this, be calm, be polite and if that gets you nowhere then use distance selling act if that still works.

It really shouldn't be a problem, but it is. They really need to cut profit. That should never have been accepted in QC due to where it is.

Things like this I buy only when I know the return policy is good. I bought one that actually had a zero pixel policy. It was fine for a few years...then developed one though hahah, although it's not dead, just a bit browner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just return it under DSR, explain the quality is not satisfactory.

Did you know that you don't need a reason under DSR and you can even smash the monitor and return it in pieces and they still have to refund you? Good luck with trying that though, because companies do bend the DSR rules.

Associate
Had the same a few years back with a different company, just returned it and got a refund. Unfortunately as above it technically isn't within the unacceptable limits so would be more difficult for both company and you to arrange a return and replace.

Soldato
Did you know that you don't need a reason under DSR and you can even smash the monitor and return it in pieces and they still have to refund you? Good luck with trying that though, because companies do bend the DSR rules.
DSR no longer exists, it’s been superseded by the CCR since 2014. And you most certainly can’t and never could smash something up and return it for a refund.

Reactions: LiE
Soldato
DSR no longer exists, it’s been superseded by the CCR since 2014. And you most certainly can’t and never could smash something up and return it for a refund.
If you accidentally smash it why not return it and hope it won't be noticed? There is nothing to lose.

It does happen because I've had a smashed monitor delivered to me (most likely dropped) which means they don't check all of the returns.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you accidentally smash it why not return it and hope it won't be noticed? There is nothing to lose.

It does happen because I've had a smashed monitor delivered to me (most likely dropped) which means they don't check all of the returns.
that's different to what the poster i quoted was saying.

Soldato
Still undecided on the M28U and looks like something I'm about to order.

However more to the point, I purchased an LG 27GP850 from OcUK a few months back and it had a slight purple blemish in the middle of the screen which was rather noticeable and off-putting on a white screen. Raised a web-ticket with them to the reply of it wasn't classed as a defect and to return it at my own cost as an unwanted order.

Unacceptable in my eyes and one reason why I won't order a monitor from here again.

Caporegime
Still undecided on the M28U and looks like something I'm about to order.

However more to the point, I purchased an LG 27GP850 from OcUK a few months back and it had a slight purple blemish in the middle of the screen which was rather noticeable and off-putting on a white screen. Raised a web-ticket with them to the reply of it wasn't classed as a defect and to return it at my own cost as an unwanted order.

Unacceptable in my eyes and one reason why I won't order a monitor from here again.
Yeah that's rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom