• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RMA Returned un-repaired

Associate
Hi all,

When researching which graphics card to buy I stumbled across the OCUk forums a few years ago and ended up ordering my GPU from them based on some of the threads here. I went with a Gigabyte GTX 1060 for it's 3 year warranty and UK RMA centre, but I've found myself in need of some advice so I've joined the forums today :)

Recently my GPU has made a clicking noise under load, very audibly from across the room. At first I thought it was pump noise from my AIO, however discovered that it was only under load I could re-produce the issue. When ramping up the fans in MSI afterburner there is fan noise but not the clicking sound. I've also checked to make sure that there is nothing obstructing the fan. Replacing the card with a 1070ti also made the issue go away, so I feel it's unrelated to anything else in my system. I even tested the card in another PC and the issue still occurred. I wouldn't mind but the noise is pretty distracting, especially as there are normally other's in the room who have commented on the noise.

So I contacted OCUk who advised they could RMA but another option was to go direct to Gigabyte for a quicker TAT. I sent them a video of the issue and POP and they requested I send the card in. Paid for postage to the RMA centre and thought all was well. That was until a few day's later when I asked for an update, and was told that the clicking noise could not be re-produced with the GPU in their possession, and that they could no longer hear the noise in my original video. I forwarded them another video of the 1070ti under load with a noticeable difference in the noise it produced. The next day after extensive testing they forwarded me a video of the card on a test bench under load with no clicking noise. I thought it was possible I missed something, and that actually the GPU was okay. I received it yesterday and then today was able to test and surprise surprise I'm back to square one, the issue is still there, although slightly less audible it can still be heard across the room.

The reason why I'm posting this is because I'm unsure of what to do next to get my issue resolved. Should I get back in touch with Gigabyte? I mean I don't really want to pay another £25 for postage, or contact OCUk and have them take a look.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Associate
OP
HI Melton,

What was the returns number for the card we gave you if you sent it back to us directly?

Hey GIGA, My RMA number for the return was UKA-1860124

At the end of the day your contract is with ocuk, if gigabyte won't sort you out then push ocuk to sort it out.

I was thinking that, but then the RMA would still be forwarded onto Gigabyte through OCUk anyway :(

Does the noise stop if the card is upright (case on its side)?

Have you tried temporarily stopping the fans?

This is a good shout, or you could try to push the heatsink upwards when the card is underload, it could be sagging.

I have not as of yet, however these are good points. In the video sent by the RMA department the test bench had the mobo flat and the card was upright. I've taken it out of my system for now however when I can get round to it will test these points.

Edit: I'm still unsure it's the fans, since I pushed them to 100% in MSI afterburner and let them run for 10+ minutes and no noise.

Associate
I have a very similar issue with a Gigabyte 1070 right now. It's the center fan on my card. I experimented with Afterburner and found the noise only occurs within a certain RPM range. For mine it starts to appear at 55% and is almost gone again at 80%. I can also stop the fan manually and the noise goes away instantly. It's very possible the noise stops if the card is vertical but I can't test that easily.

I was planning to return the card within a week or so.

The noise mine makes is almost identical to yours the only different is that mine is continuous whereas yours pulsates.

The card is just less than 1 year old.

I would be interested what Gigabyte have to say about this. Honestly I can't believe that someone didn't think to test the card horizontally.

Oh and I use a support on the card so it's not sagging. And I have tried removing the support and that makes no difference.

Last edited:
Associate
My Gigabyte Aorus 1060 sounds the same at around 40-50% fan rpm , weird thats its only happening in that range , giving one of the 3 fans a poke stops it momentarily but cant say i can hear it across the room though and its not annoying enough for me to want to rma it.
Someone did tell me it could be one of the stickers on the center of the fan is not on centrally so is unbalancing the fan slightly at a certain rpm.

Associate
My Gigabyte Aorus 1060 sounds the same at around 40-50% fan rpm , weird thats its only happening in that range , giving one of the 3 fans a poke stops it momentarily but cant say i can hear it across the room though and its not annoying enough for me to want to rma it.
Someone did tell me it could be one of the stickers on the center of the fan is not on centrally so is unbalancing the fan slightly at a certain rpm.

If you listen to the youtube video posted mine makes a very similar noise but you can hear it right across the room. Its loud!! But having said that it started some time ago and was much quieter, so I would keep an eye on your fan to see if it gets worse over the coming months.

Associate
OP
I have a very similar issue with a Gigabyte 1070 right now.

My Gigabyte Aorus 1060 sounds the same at around 40-50% fan rpm

Thanks for the info, when I'm able to test later today I'll check to see if I can check for this, and see what my fan speed is when I'm playing games.

Now I think about it the issue did coincide with an upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor, may have never noticed if the fans were below a certain RPM before. I guess the card's having to be cooled a bit more now and therefore my fan speeds gone up.

Caporegime
Just food for thought all of my galax gpus had this issue where the sticker slightly slipped on the blades enough at certain rpm ranges would make it sound like that

I'd prefer if companies would leave stickers off fans, if they're not centered exactly they make the fan look like its wobbling, and as you mentioned it can cause issues with the blades making odd noises.

Associate
HAH! I tipped my PC over today so the card is vertical, and guess what? No noise. Certainly I can confirm that for my 1070 Gigabytes testing is inadequate. The card needs to be horizontal, with the fan pointing down, as we suspected, for the noise to occur.

Back
Top Bottom